gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:40:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #18: Carl and the Passions - "So Tough"  (Read 44146 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:55:44 PM »

Never been a big fan of this album. Really far below Surf's Up and Holland for me.

Also, I don't mean to be contributing to clouding up the board with crud, but I'm on number 18 of 29, so the show must go on!
I'm sorry for being an asshat.
I apologize.

8. Here She Comes
7. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone - I could really do without the cookie monster vocals
6. He Come Down - Sounds like I'm in a church where Mike is preaching. I'm okay with that though.
5. Marcella - People love this around here. I want to like it more, but I'm not there yet.
4. Hold On Dear Brother - Nice melody
3. Cuddle Up - Refreshing to me
2. Make It Good- I think this is just gorgeous
1. All This Is That - I really love this song
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:59:37 PM by Letsgoawayforawhile » Logged

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »

Like Surf's Up, this is another album I really enjoy.  Compared to it, I think the highs are higher and the lows are lower but the highs win because I place it (slightly) ahead of Surf's Up.  This album includes what are probably my least favorite Dennis tracks which I feel are much more "feels" than actual sings.  Had they been fleshed out more, this album would have been even better.  It also would have benefited from a couple more tunes to fill out that skimpy run time!

1. Here She Comes - I'm guessing this one won't average a good rating here because it's another example of the Beach Boys showing that they can in fact, "rock" quite nicely if they really try.  I still wish someone would have vetoed Ricky's not surprisingly drum heavy mix tho!  I guess he had more confidence in his drum skills than his vocals.
2. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone - A GREAT tune with a lot of meat.  The guitar versus fiddle mix is a little off in my opinion but the vocals make up for it.  I love it!
3. Marcella - So close to perfect but not quite.  I prefer the version on In Concert.
4. All This Is That - The fact that this track ranks as low as it does for me just shows how I feel about the songs I placed above it!  Fantastic song, production, and performance!
5. Hold On Dear Brother - Another nice job from the "new guys".  I know this is about Ricky's brother but I wonder if anyone at the time assumed it was about Brian.
6. He Come Down - Solid but I feel it goes on for a bit and think it could have been tightened up a little.
7. Cuddle Up - Almost but not quite.  Almost six minutes in length and most of it's style over substance.
8. Make It Good - I get it, Dennis.  You can produce.  Now go back to writing songs that are worth all the "lush" sounds you load on them.  Yuck!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:36:02 PM by Phoenix » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »

Marcella
All This Is That

You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone
Here She Comes

Cuddle Up
He Come Down
Make It Good
Hold On Dear Brother

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 03:41:58 PM »

You ain't no asshat, LGAFA, even if you have a problem with two of Brian's sh*t-kick'n'ist tracks...

1--Mess of Help
2--Marcella
3--All This Is That
4--Cuddle Up
5--He Come Down
6--Make It Good
7--Hold On Dear Brother
8--Here She Comes

I hope Billy will do a full remix of "Mess of Help" sometime, I would love to hear it. It's too counterintuitive to ever be a major fave for the large majority of BB fans, but its nothing more or less than the Wild Honey album on steroids. The return to the middle 8 for the tag is pure upside down BW genius, with some of the best combo vocal-instrumental contrapuntality on any BB record. I'm guessing that "Marcella" will likely be the consensus fave, and why not--it's "Do It Again" on steroids. More masseuses, please!!

If I could rewrite BB history, I'd put "WIBNTLA" on this record as Side 2 Cut 1; from hearing Evie Sands and Adam's band do it, there's little doubt that a full-bore BB version would have been the sound to give them a solid shot at chart action if it'd been out there at the time. They needed something like that out of Dennis instead of the orchestral stuff, IMO. (Alas, it wasn't in the cards.) "Cuddle Up" is rather wondrous, but it's arguably better situated on a Dennis solo LP.

Much as I like Blondie and Ricky, their two tracks here just don't mesh into any period of the BB sound enough not to be in (or seriously close to) stick-out-like-sore-thumb territory. Blondie's work on "He Come Down," though, is pretty darned awesome.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:43:47 PM by Don Malcolm » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 03:56:22 PM »

Four songs that I don't care for at all, two OK songs, and two of the most underrated songs in the entire BB catalogue.

1. All This is That
2. Cuddle Up
3. He Come Down
4. Marcella
5. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
6. Make It Good
7. Hold On, Dear Brother
8. Here She Comes
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 03:57:08 PM »

1. Mess of Help
2. Marcella
3. All This Is That
4. Here She Comes
5. Hold On Dear Brother
6. Cuddle Up
7. He Come Down
8. Make It Good

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »

1) Marcella
2) All This Is That
3) You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone
4) Cuddle Up
5) He Come Down
6) Here She Comes
7) Hold On Dear Brother
Cool Make It Good
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 04:01:31 PM »

The biggest album-to-album quality drop in the history of the band, and that's saying something. Bizarrely overrated by certain fans.

1. Cuddle Up
2. Make it Good
3. Marcella

4. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone

5. All This Is That.

and somewhere near the bottom of the sea:
6. Here She Comes
7. Hold On Dear Brother
8. He Come Down

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »

1. All this is that
2. Cuddle up
3. You need a mess of help to stand alone
4. Make it good
5. Marcella

I'm sure this album is great and I appreciate the progressiveness and modernity all, it's just not really my style. I've listened to All This Is That ten times as often as all the other songs put together.

Please delete my account
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »

1. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
2. Marcella
3. He Come Down
4. Cuddle Up
5. All This Is That
6. Here She Comes
7. Hold On Dear Brother
8. Make It Good
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »

1. Marcella - the mixing job on this song is AMAZING - probably my favorite 'sounding' song in the BB catalogue
2. Here She Comes - can't believe this is so low on everyone's lists! I love cranking this one up on the speakers - great song.
3. You Need A Mess Of Help
4. All This Is That - cosmically beautiful - not unlike 'Funky Pretty'
5. Hold On Dear Brother
6. Cuddle Up - I'm a big fan of Dennis contributions, but I this song is heavy overkill for me.
7. Make It Good
8. He Come Down

@Letsgoawayforawhile: I do like these threads! It's nice to see what other people's tastes are. You're not an asshat in my book Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »

I like this album a lot but it really could have benefited from a more unified group approach. As it stands we have two Dennis solo tracks, two Flame songs with Carl guesting, Mike and Al absent from half the record and Brian only on three songs.

1/ All this is that.
2/ Mess of help to stand alone.
3/ Marcella
4/ Cuddle up
5/ Here She Comes
6/ He came down
7/ Hold on dear brother

8/ Make it good - This song is nauseating.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 05:42:02 PM »

This album is a real mess but I find I've been listening to it more and more in recent years, likely just out of a need to listen to something different as far as Beach Boys catalog goes. I love love love some of the tracks (especially 'Mess o Help'), but the Flame tracks stick out like a sore thumb and Dennis' songs, although majestic, they sound like they belong on a different album, altogether ("they sound like they belong on a different album"). I still like the album better than "Surfs Up", though.  Shocked

You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone
Marcella
Cuddle Up
All This Is That
Make It Good
He Come Down
Here She Comes
Hold On Dear Brother
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 05:51:31 PM »

I don't care if these lists irritate other members, they're fun, so what the hell?

Definitely not my favorite album, but one I've grown to like quite a bit.  As many have said it sounds like 4 different albums going on at once, and it doesn't really flow at all, but I mostly like the songs - flow be damned.

1. All This Is That
2. Marcella
3. Make It Good
4. YNAMOHTSA
5. Cuddle Up
6. He Come Down
7. Hold On Dear Brother
8. Here She Comes
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 06:15:07 PM »

1. Cuddle Up - always at the top of my UNDERRATED BB songs list

2. Marcella - with better production coulda been an all-timer
3. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone
4. All This Is That

5. Make It Good
6. He Come Down

7. Here She Comes
8. Hold On Dear Brother - I've learned to appreciate these two over the years

I'm gonna say it, and say it, and say it. And say it again. This album could've been better because of one simple thing. Why so few songs from a group with....
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 06:15:37 PM »

Bullshit.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 06:17:29 PM »

You have nothing to apologize for, many enjoy these lists, and those who don't can just ignore the threads!

1. All This Is That (my all-time favorite BB song)
2. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone (no other song like it in the BB catalog)
3. Here She Comes (ditto)
4. Marcella
5. Cuddle Up
6. Hold On Dear Brother
7. He Come Down
8. Make It Good (sounds like a demo indicating the beginnings of a great song)

Overall, a great album, definitely in my top 5 BB studio albums.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 08:24:26 PM »

So Tough is my favorite BB album to listen to anytime. I have probably listened to it from start to finish more times than any other by the group in the last 3 years because I don't have to be in any particular "mood" to put it on. To me it is completely accessible from start to finish even if it is a bit short on songs.

Every song is a winner for me. Here are my thoughts (if anybody cares):

01) You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone - Rocks. Violin, banjo, slide guitar, loud drums, and it's kind of funky. Who cares what the words are about? My brother's personal favorite on here by the way (he's not much of a BB fan but he had me make copies of this cd and In Concert for his collection).

02) Here She Comes - I love the loud drums on this too. The piano jams (I'm a pianist so I can appreciate that) and nice vocals.

03) He Comes Down - The "I believe it" bit saves this song. That's 3 kind of rocking songs so far. What's next?

04) Marcella - This one. Yes, the live version is more energetic but hey, this is "Marcella". No more to say.

05) Hold On Dear Brother - Country/rock waltz. Great. Nice pedal steel solo in the middle. Blondie sounds very passionate about what he's singing.

06) Make It Good - Over the top. Beautiful orchestral arrangement. You can tell the difference in fidelity between Desper's mxes (this one and "Cuddle Up") and the rest of the album.

07) All This Is That - This is the only one that had to grow on me. I really missed Carl's beautiful voice on this when I saw them live last year.

08) Cuddle Up - My favorite song on this album. My favorite "lullaby" ever by anybody. I had it played at the end of my wedding reception to wind the party down. I could dig a whole album of pieces like this and "Make It Good" (add "Barbara", "4th of July" and whatever else Dennis was doing).

That's it I guess. No weak tracks for me at all, I love every song. I can't say that about too many albums by any artist. Criminally underrated even amongst BB fans but to each their own. Maybe Bruce would have dragged it down with "Ten Years Harmony"? We'll thankfully never know!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »

08) Cuddle Up - I had it played at the end of my wedding reception to wind the party down.

That's great! For years I DJ'd wedding receptions and often thought about doing that, but always chickened out. Now, looking back, I wish I would've played it.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »

1. All This is That
2. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
3. Marcella
4. Cuddle Up
5. Make it Good
6. Here She Comes
7. Hold On Dear Brother
8. He Come Down

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 10:27:47 PM »

1. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone.  I love the film clip to it as well,  very grungy,  hard to believe it's the same guys with the striped shirts and slicked hair Smiley
2. Here She Comes
3. All This is That
4. Marcella
5. Cuddle Up
6. He Came Down
7. Hold On Dear Brother
8. Make It Good
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 10:31:40 PM »

1. Marcella
2. All This is That
3. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
4. Cuddle Up
5. Everything else

Beyond the four songs I listed, I see the rest as nothing but filler.  Not bad songs but very forgettable in my opinion.

MBE
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 11:27:57 PM »

I like these threads myself. I like to rank all my albums.

Mess Of Help
Marcella
Here She Comes
Cuddle Up
He Come Down
All This Is That
Make It Good
Hold On Dear Brother

Good rock album, to me as interesting as anything from the 1971-73 Jack era.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 11:33:52 PM »

1. All This is that
2. Mess
3. Cuddle
4. Marcella
5. He Came Down
6. Make it Good
7. Here She Comes
8. Hold On Dear Bro'

“We live in divisive times.”
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 11:35:01 PM »

Bullsh*t.

It's the one Dennis song I really can't stand. I love most of his stuff, am indifferent to a couple of Bambu songs but Make it good is the one song I struggle to reach the end of.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx