gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:23:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: KNAK Radio Spot  (Read 11693 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »

Sorry-the article suggests that it was Al's idea to go there-the photographer wanted to take some shots and Al directed them there as a cool location to take photos. Writer Cyril Maitland was with them.  The photos were taken on Sunday June 16 1968-day after they played the Lagoon. Too bad the photographer didn't take pics of them at the gig. I haven't ever seen any pics of the BBs at the Lagoon-though I guarantee numerous Utah fans took photos with their little cameras.  If the BBs were as popular as the Beatles-everyone who ever took a photo of them would be showing them off!! It's a shame.  Also too bad that the Salt Lake papers never reviewed BB shows in the 60s. I really am curious about what they played at the Sept 1970 Lagoon appearance-but Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune didn't review it-though they printed plenty of ads for the shows.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »

Something I have often wondered. For anyone with the Tobler book, any chance the picture of the band sitting on the bench surrounded by water is one for Coca cola? They are all holding a can towards the camera. What was the bands deal with them at the time, if any?

Al Jardine talks about the song they did for them (unreleased) on one of the podcasts. Could they be related?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:41:18 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 05:47:59 AM »

What are they doing?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »

Sorry-the article suggests that it was Al's idea to go there-the photographer wanted to take some shots and Al directed them there as a cool location to take photos.

Nice.  Our stories jibe, then.  Love when that happens!

The photos were taken on Sunday June 16 1968-day after they played the Lagoon. Too bad the photographer didn't take pics of them at the gig.

Not to be nit-picky, but Lagoon has never been called (officially or colloquially) "The Lagoon."  And I agree, it's too bad we don't have photos of the gig.  According to my sources, Al would have had been a bit muddy from the initial trip to Saltair earlier that afternoon.

Looks to me like they're digging out.  Hesterman is in the forefront wedging something under the tire and the guy in the khakis (the Fabulous writer, perhaps?) is doing the same thing on the other side.  The Boys are obviously not being of much help:)  That's dry alkali lake bed that can get very muddy in spots.  I certainly wouldn't have driven out there.  Not sure about the role of the large beam in all of this, although I can almost guarantee that it's sitting out there today exactly where they left it.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 09:10:41 AM »

Sorry-the article suggests that it was Al's idea to go there-the photographer wanted to take some shots and Al directed them there as a cool location to take photos.

The photos were taken on Sunday June 16 1968-day after they played the Lagoon. Too bad the photographer didn't take pics of them at the gig.

Not to be nit-picky, but Lagoon has never been called (officially or colloquially) "The Lagoon."  And I agree, it's too bad we don't have photos of the gig.  According to my sources, Al would have had been a bit muddy from the initial trip to Saltair earlier that afternoon.

Thing is: While maybe it's never been called that in Utah, it's easy to fall that way based on the BBs song:   
>>They lyrics read: “There’s a park near the city, yeah. All the kids dig the Lagoon now. It’s full of all kinds of girls. And rides and we’ll be flyin’ there soon now.”  <<
When I listen It's always sounded to me like they're saying "the lagoon". What does everyone else hear?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »

When I listen It's always sounded to me like they're saying "the lagoon". What does everyone else hear?

I definitely hear "the Lagoon," but I always assumed the "the" was inserted for purposes of lyrical/rhythmic flow.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »

I definitely hear "the Lagoon," but I always assumed the "the" was inserted for purposes of lyrical/rhythmic flow.

Exactly. Since most folks nowadays, all over the world, would find out about the place through the reference in this song, I think it fair to say that the lyric counts as a "colloquial reference". Nice photos and research work on this thread. Always been interested in Saltair through the usage in one of my favorite films, Carnival Of Souls.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 09:44:25 AM »

Exactly. Since most folks nowadays, all over the world, would find out about the place through the reference in this song, I think it fair to say that the lyric counts as a "colloquial reference". Nice photos and research work on this thread. Always been interested in Saltair through the usage in one of my favorite films, Carnival Of Souls.

Carnival of Souls is awesome.  Too bad the old structure burned down because it really was quite the place. 

I'll concede on the colloquial use of "the Lagoon" based on the lyric, but if you came to Utah and asked directions to "the Lagoon," you'd probably get some chuckles.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 09:55:19 AM »

I'll concede on the colloquial use of "the Lagoon" based on the lyric, but if you came to Utah and asked directions to "the Lagoon," you'd probably get some chuckles.

I can dig that. Being originally from LA, making fun of tourists acting cocky around their relatives and quoting things they saw in some movie, that's practically a sport.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 10:03:07 AM »

Carnival of Souls is awesome.  Too bad the old structure burned down because it really was quite the place. 

That's weird, because there's even a website for the Lagoon (park). How can people up there not know what the "Lagoon" is?

http://www.lagoonpark.com/

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »

Nice.  Our stories jibe, then.  Love when that happens!

Not to be nit-picky, but Lagoon has never been called (officially or colloquially) "The Lagoon."  And I agree, it's too bad we don't have photos of the gig.  According to my sources, Al would have had been a bit muddy from the initial trip to Saltair earlier that afternoon.

Looks to me like they're digging out.  Hesterman is in the forefront wedging something under the tire and the guy in the khakis (the Fabulous writer, perhaps?) is doing the same thing on the other side.  The Boys are obviously not being of much help:)  That's dry alkali lake bed that can get very muddy in spots.  I certainly wouldn't have driven out there.  Not sure about the role of the large beam in all of this, although I can almost guarantee that it's sitting out there today exactly where they left it.

Speaking of nitpicky. The story implies they got stuck on the Saturday when it was just Al at the location. Did they get stuck on the Sunday also? LOL
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 10:19:20 AM »

That's weird, because there's even a website for the Lagoon (park). How can people up there not know what the "Lagoon" is?

Well, I didn't mean to take the thread so far off in this direction, but to answer your question, people here are very aware of what Lagoon is.  It's like Utah's Knott's Berry Farm.  My point is that it is simply called "Lagoon" (or Lagoon Park).  Referring to it as "the Lagoon" here would be like me referring to Knott's Berry Farm as "The Knott's Berry Farm" or something.  Or like my mom saying she saw something in "the email" or that my brother has "the autism."  It works for the song lyric, and I don't fault people for thinking it's called "the Lagoon" based on that lyric.  It's not something that bugs me, really.  The park is simply not referred to that way-- officially, historically, colloquially (here), or otherwise.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 10:20:28 AM »

Looks to me like they're digging out.  Hesterman is in the forefront wedging something under the tire and the guy in the khakis (the Fabulous writer, perhaps?) is doing the same thing on the other side.  The Boys are obviously not being of much help:)  That's dry alkali lake bed that can get very muddy in spots.  I certainly wouldn't have driven out there.  Not sure about the role of the large beam in all of this, although I can almost guarantee that it's sitting out there today exactly where they left it.

Speaking of nitpicky. The story implies they got stuck on the Saturday when it was just Al at the location. Did they get stuck on the Sunday also? LOL

This pic looks like they're stuck in the mud, not on the tracks where Al was stuck on Saturday

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »

Well, I didn't mean to take the thread so far off in this direction, but to answer your question, people here are very aware of what Lagoon is.  It's like Utah's Knott's Berry Farm.  My point is that it is simply called "Lagoon" (or Lagoon Park).  Referring to it as "the Lagoon" here would be like me referring to Knott's Berry Farm as "The Knott's Berry Farm" or something.  Or like my mom saying she saw something in "the email" or that my brother has "the autism."  It works for the song lyric, and I don't fault people for thinking it's called "the Lagoon" based on that lyric.  It's not something that bugs me, really.  The park is simply not referred to that way-- officially, historically, colloquially (here), or otherwise.
Sure!  In SLC it's "Lagoon"; everywhere else in the world it's thought of as "The Lagoon" ( get used to it. Blame the BBs)

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 10:29:39 AM »

The getting stuck incident I mention in the story happened on Saturday.  That was on the railroad tracks about 1 mile from the actual Saltair site.  Only Al was present with Bill Hesterman and his sons for that incident, which almost made them late for the gig.

During my conversations with the Hesterman boys, they didn't mention their dad and the rest of the Boys getting stuck on Sunday (although the picture implies such).  It would be very difficult not to get stuck in that area, though.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »

This pic looks like they're stuck in the mud, not on the tracks where Al was stuck on Saturday

Ahhhh but Al was covered in mud at the Saturday gig!

(AGD's concern for detail is catching BTW)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »

The getting stuck incident I mention in the story happened on Saturday.  That was on the railroad tracks about 1 mile from the actual Saltair site.  Only Al was present with Bill Hesterman and his sons for that incident, which almost made them late for the gig.

During my conversations with the Hesterman boys, they didn't mention their dad and the rest of the Boys getting stuck on Sunday (although the picture implies such).  It would be very difficult not to get stuck in that area, though.

I'm not surprised. What red- blooded male is going to admit to getting stuck twice in 2 days? LOL
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 10:39:43 AM »

The tracks they got stuck at on Saturday are flanked on both sides by muddy alkali.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »

The tracks they got stuck at on Saturday are flanked on both sides by muddy alkali.

Very high in carbonate salts my research tells me! Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx