gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 05:50:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: KNAK Radio Spot  (Read 11697 times)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:35:05 AM »

Hey everybody, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm working on documenting some of the lesser known history on the BB connection with (former) Salt Lake City radio station KNAK.  I noticed that the Unsurpassed Masters, Vol. 12 (1965) boot contains a radio spot for KNAK.  This may be a dumb question, but please forgive a newbie:  Is there any way to legitimately purchase this particular track?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:30:30 AM »

Hey everybody, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm working on documenting some of the lesser known history on the BB connection with (former) Salt Lake City radio station KNAK.  I noticed that the Unsurpassed Masters, Vol. 12 (1965) boot contains a radio spot for KNAK.  This may be a dumb question, but please forgive a newbie:  Is there any way to legitimately purchase this particular track?
Not legitimately, no.  Wink

P.S. Welcome to the board!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »

maybe ask Clint Thomsen if he has a copy

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:42:21 AM »

I actually am Clint Thomsen.  And no, I don't have a copy:)

If anybody is interested, you can get a taste of what I'm working on at

http://bonnevillemariner.wordpress.com/2012/06/14/the-story-behind-those-beach-boys-photos-at-saltair/

I fully expect that this post contains inaccuracies (at least when it comes to Al/BB history).  I did the best I could, based on the info I had at the time.  I welcome corrections.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »

Hey Clint, do you know where I might obtain a copy of the Beach Boys promo 45 called "Salt Lake City/Amusement Parks U.S.A."? Do you have a copy or know anyone who does? I'm looking for one for my collection.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:56:18 AM »

Hey Clint, do you know where I might obtain a copy of the Beach Boys promo 45 called "Salt Lake City/Amusement Parks U.S.A."? Do you have a copy or know anyone who does? I'm looking for one for my collection.

I know somebody who I'm pretty sure owns it, but I highly doubt he'd be willing to part with it.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:02:08 AM »

I actually am Clint Thomsen.  And no, I don't have a copy:)

If anybody is interested, you can get a taste of what I'm working on at

http://bonnevillemariner.wordpress.com/2012/06/14/the-story-behind-those-beach-boys-photos-at-saltair/

I fully expect that this post contains inaccuracies (at least when it comes to Al/BB history).  I did the best I could, based on the info I had at the time.  I welcome corrections.

But, but, that's old news! Let's see the dirt!! 

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:05:35 AM »

But, but, that's old news! Let's see the dirt!! 

Working on it!

I was actually hesitant to post a link to that blog post here because I'm a Beach Boys novice and y'all are seasoned experts who probably heard the story before I was born.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »

The book in question is "The Beach Boys" by Byron Preiss, and there are photos from this same shoot reprinted there, in color. Definitely worth checking out!

As far as KNAK, there isn't much in the way of audio recordings and airchecks available, and I checked the aircheck lists on the surface. The only one that appeared multiple sources was from 1970, so I doubt they'd be using a mid-60's Beach Boys promo-jingle-bumper-ID recording at that time.

It looks like KNAK was following the "Boss Radio" format at least on a late 1966 survey I found: They were doing the "Boss 40" lists, which was taking the Drake-Chenault format of a "Boss 30" countdown list one further (Spinal Tap: This one goes to eleven...  Grin ). On the October '66 survey, Revolver was the #1 album, Pet Sounds #3, but remember that is only one week's chart.

So perhaps it's tougher to find an actual on-air use of the BB's jingle than usual, because once these stations switched to the "Boss Radio" format, if that's what KNAK did based on using the word Boss on the '66 survey, a lot of the station ID's switched over to the PAMS service to record their promos and bumpers. Perhaps the Beach Boys promo was for the station prior to them being called Boss Radio?

The best source for the jingle would seem to be SOT...short of a miracle find in someone's collection of old tapes, finding an actual mid 60's KNAK broadcast where the jingle was used on-air is beyond needle-in-a-haystack territory.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »

Eventually you can buy one on Ebay, you just have to be willing to pay the price

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »

You spelled Murry correctly, and that gets major props in my book - there's plenty folk here who can't do that.  Old Man

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:00:31 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:00:51 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 12:44:20 PM »

All the kids dig the Lagoon there.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagoon_Amusement_Park

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »

Not sure I follow.  What is significant about that date?

Lots of good stuff on my website about Saltair, by the way.  It was actually the Saltair angle that led me to the Beach Boys, and from that I've become obsessed with the band.  Always liked them, but it was this story that sparked my real love.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »

Another thing...

I first chanced upon the photos from the Saltair shoot a few years ago and seem to remember there being more/different shots than I've posted.  Does the Preiss book say who the photog was?  And are there more from that shoot somewhere?  I think the wooden bench/platform thing they're standing on in one of those pics was still kicking around at the site until a few years ago.  And those same pile-ons are still there today.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 01:17:32 PM »

Hi Clint.

Just had a look in my copy. The last shot has 'Capitol' along the side so you may have to go through them. No photographer credit I can see.

edit.....Not the Preiss book, but the John Tobler book of 78.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:22:35 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »

I've seen those group shots in various publications over the years (in addition to the SOT release). Always thought the pictures were taken somewhere in Mexico. Also thought the guy in the middle was of Mexican or Spanish descent. Now we finally know his name - Bill Hesterman, who was a Deacon at the Morman church.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 01:30:41 PM »

I'm guessing it's when the photo was taken ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 01:34:49 PM »

I've seen those group shots in various publications over the years (in addition to the SOT release). Always thought the pictures were taken somewhere in Mexico. Also thought the guy in the middle was of Mexican or Spanish descent. Now we finally know his name - Bill Hesterman, who was a Deacon at the Morman church.

Yep, Saltair just outside of Salt Lake City.  Hesterman was actually a Mormon Bishop (deacon is a few steps below).  A Bishop actually leads a congregation of several hundred.  If he looks a bit uncomfortable in that photo, it might be because he skipped church to drive the Boys out for the photo shoot.  
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 11:03:22 PM »

And yes, the Preiss book does have at least two color photos that are not posted on the blog. One showing the Boys standing on a wooden beam, with 2 unknown guys lifting the beam in front of the vehicle, all in front of the decaying back deck area of that resort. The broken out windows in that shot make it look a bit haunted and creepy...

No specific photo credits are given, they list about 8 photographers in the index.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:00 AM »

Clint-the photos first appeared in the British magazine Fabulous 208 in 1968.  The magazine sent a photographer to shoot them and the pics were done specifically for Fabulous 208.  The session took place in June 1968-the day after the BBs had appeared at the Lagoon-as will be detailed in my upcoming book with Jon Stebbins. (I should note that the appearance is not in Badman's book-as you can see on the gigs part of AGD's site-which I helped compile-the BBs made 12 appearances in the Salt Lake area from 63-70-though Badman was unaware of most of them)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 07:02:12 AM »

The magazine sent a photographer to shoot them and the pics were done specifically for Fabulous 208.

Great info, Ian, but it raises a few questions.  The fact that a British mag shot these photos specifically for an issue implies that the shoot was planned prior to the day before it took place.  According to my sources, the initial Saturday trip wasn't planned, and it wasn't decided until at least Saturday night that the boys would go out the next day for a photo shoot at Saltair.  I suppose it's possible that the Fabulous photog was in SLC for a planned photo session somewhere else, but plans were changed Saturday night once Al told the guys about his day at Saltair.  Unless you have evidence to the contrary, I don't believe the photo shoot was originally planned for Saltair.

The session took place in June 1968-the day after the BBs had appeared at the Lagoon-as will be detailed in my upcoming book with Jon Stebbins.

Well that clears up the date question I had!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 07:03:56 AM »

I'm guessing it's when the photo was taken ?  Grin

Got it.  The photo doesn't appear in my browser, hence my confusion.  I only saw it when I checked the boards on my phone last night.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 08:16:15 AM »

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx