gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:02:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Ebay find  (Read 133867 times)
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: May 31, 2016, 05:25:09 PM »

Not a bad price for a fully-signed 15 Big Ones. Signatures appear to be legit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-rare-autographed-vinyl-record-/272259474748?hash=item3f63ede53c:g:fEIAAOSwd2xXP2oP

The seller's photos are terrible, but it looks like Al signed over Brian's signature or vice-versa.

The listing is a trainwreck of red flag warning signs. Seller with feedback score of "1", and seller rating of only 67% (two positives and one negative, ever), horrible pictures, few total pictures, unclear and arguably incorrect description (Brian is the only still living member? It has the signature of every member "ever existing in the band? So Blondie, Ricky, and Dave signed it too?)

It's also not a very attractive signed piece as signed pieces go. Faded, thin ballpoint pen, etc.

All fair points. Another red flag, this item has been relisted after being sold once with a Best Offer accepted.  This is not an experienced seller and he isn't a Beach Boys historian, but I still think the signatures are good. I have reoriented them and tried to give clearer views of each signature.

Dennis Wilson (with a ghost Dennis above it like the ballpoint wasn't working well)

Al and Brian (again, either Brian signed over Al or Al signed over Brian)

Four of the five members on the front and are only glimpse of the Carl signature

Mike Love (signed Hi! instead of the more modern Love, Mike Love--correct for the era)

A second Al Jardine signature and I think the Glen Cambell's Soup is done in Al's hand as a joke

If you look at the writing sample below, I think there are a lot of similarities to the Glen Cambell's Soup inscription above

I don't think the presentation is especially attractive due to the vintage signatures done in ballpoint, but, again, it is consistent and correct for that era. I know you have to take everything into account (i.e. seller's feedback, poorly listed, etc.), but if you just look at the signatures, I think you have an authentic piece signed by three Wilson brothers, Mike and Al. Again, just my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 05:26:39 PM by Marty Castillo » Logged
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 31, 2016, 06:37:08 PM »

Additional information from the seller:

- The previous transaction didn't go through as eBay suspended the potential buyers account due to suspicious activity.
- He inherited it from his uncle, Steve Arnett, who he described as one of the Beach Boys money managers.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: June 01, 2016, 06:40:08 AM »

The signatures could totally be legit; I'm nowhere near an autograph expert. I have a C50 group autograph, a few things signed locally by Brian and Al, a few Al signatures I got in person.

I just think that seller would probably get more interest by getting some sort of BB expert to authenticate it, and by doing enough basic research (e.g. knowing which members are deceased and alive) so that the description doesn't sound so wonky.

I don't know what a five-man original lineup 70s group signature would normally go for, but this would have to on the lower end due to the nature of the listing and the fact that it's not a very display-friendly piece (barely legible signatures; not being able to display all five signatures at the same time, etc.)

An authenticated album cover with all five BB sigs on the cover in bold sharpie (or similar) might well be worth $500 or more.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 01, 2016, 11:23:23 AM »

Talking of someone doing a signature over others, here is a classic

[
free pic

Signed by Brian, CARL, Al, Mike and Bruce
When I got Brian to sign this (in typical Brian fashion) he went to sign by his face and then moved the pen and autographed over Bruce's ;-)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:26:11 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: June 01, 2016, 11:30:05 AM »

That's pretty awesome (no dig on Bruce, which is weird as that's the second time I've said that in recent weeks, it's all to do with Brian's quirkiness).

That must have been right after he signed Don Henley's BB CD as "thanks for the great music" and then crossed out "great" and wrote "good."  3D

Did Al sign his first name on that with a pen filled with cranberry juice or something? Cool to have gathered all those signatures. It's interesting to see the less common times when group members sign things years apart.

A group of quirky Brian signatures might be cool. The upside down "Holland" signature from another thread, the stuff where he signs the same thing twice, and then signing *over* another Beach Boy's name.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 01, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »

That's pretty awesome (no dig on Bruce, which is weird as that's the second time I've said that in recent weeks, it's all to do with Brian's quirkiness).

That must have been right after he signed Don Henley's BB CD as "thanks for the great music" and then crossed out "great" and wrote "good."  3D

Did Al sign his first name on that with a pen filled with cranberry juice or something? Cool to have gathered all those signatures. It's interesting to see the less common times when group members sign things years apart.

A group of quirky Brian signatures might be cool. The upside down "Holland" signature from another thread, the stuff where he signs the same thing twice, and then signing *over* another Beach Boy's name.

Yep, the upside down Holland (in Tour thread) is mine as well  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: June 01, 2016, 11:36:12 AM »

Awesome!

Now, get Brian to sign "Looking Back With Love" next!

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 01, 2016, 12:02:32 PM »

Awesome!

Now, get Brian to sign "Looking Back With Love" next!

Just for you, I have taken these off of the Dean BB's wall

image hosting services

I will in the course of time get Brian to sign over the both Mike & Bruce  sigs

(Point of interest, the frames also include the vinyls so I can't play them  LOL )
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: June 01, 2016, 12:17:10 PM »

Considering Mike's reaction during the 1989 "Campfire Sessions" when Brian mentions the LBWL album, I'm a little bit surprised Mike signed!

Seriously, I'm sure Mike would sign most anything, as most of the guys would.

There's an interesting side question. Any stories out there of refusals to sign? Not counting VIP staff telling you not to bring stuff, etc. But actual face-to-face refusals?

The only story I can recall is when someone said they asked Scott Totten to sign a PS album, and Totten politely refused initially for obvious reasons. Even then, once it was clear the person was well aware Totten was not on the album, Totten still signed. So even that's not a refusal!

I have a vague recollection of a dicey Bruce story from the 2012 tour (the infamous "you and I are through talking!" incident), but I don't think that involved refusing a signature.

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 01, 2016, 02:27:38 PM »

Last year after a M&B show I really wanted to find Mike and ask him to sign my Rock ’n’ Roll City cassette. Could only find Bruce and had to settle.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:29:36 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 02, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »

Another example of Brian signing over Bruce:

This originated from Perry Cox.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: June 02, 2016, 12:59:33 PM »

Wow, that one's a curio for two different reasons. Brian signing over Bruce, and someone asking Brian to sign "Summer in Paradise!"

beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 02, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »

Not a bad price for a fully-signed 15 Big Ones. Signatures appear to be legit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-rare-autographed-vinyl-record-/272259474748?hash=item3f63ede53c:g:fEIAAOSwd2xXP2oP

The seller's photos are terrible, but it looks like Al signed over Brian's signature or vice-versa.

The listing is a trainwreck of red flag warning signs. Seller with feedback score of "1", and seller rating of only 67% (two positives and one negative, ever), horrible pictures, few total pictures, unclear and arguably incorrect description (Brian is the only still living member? It has the signature of every member "ever existing in the band? So Blondie, Ricky, and Dave signed it too?)

It's also not a very attractive signed piece as signed pieces go. Faded, thin ballpoint pen, etc.

The signatures look good to me too, even with the inexperienced seller.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 02, 2016, 01:07:12 PM »

Considering Mike's reaction during the 1989 "Campfire Sessions" when Brian mentions the LBWL album, I'm a little bit surprised Mike signed!

Seriously, I'm sure Mike would sign most anything, as most of the guys would.

There's an interesting side question. Any stories out there of refusals to sign? Not counting VIP staff telling you not to bring stuff, etc. But actual face-to-face refusals?

Yes. I met Bruce two years ago and he refused to sign for anyone. I met him a couple weeks ago in Rockford and he signed all four things I had for him. For Bruce it totally depends on the day. He's strangely afraid of people selling his autographs even though things signed by him are hardly worth any more than if they weren't signed.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
27Derek
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 09, 2016, 05:17:40 PM »

I'm sure some of you have seen this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-ULTRA-RARE-1967-AUTHENTIC-SMILE-FRONT-COVER-LP-SLICK-ORIGINAL-/291867732089?hash=item43f4ac2879:g:hEgAAOSwOdpX0Iqd
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:41:51 PM by 27Derek » Logged
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 10, 2016, 12:03:15 AM »

I bought this on Tuesday morning and it arrived today. It sounds great, but does anyone have any information about it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172330523070?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx