gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:24:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Ebay find  (Read 132907 times)
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: April 09, 2016, 08:57:29 PM »

The letter from United Artists states, "There will be an album shortly, while the single, "Now That Everything's Been Said," from the LP is enclosed."  That lead-off single was released October 20, 1971, while the album did not come out until July 1972.  The tape was reportedly recorded early in the morning of October 9, 1971; begging the question as to exactly when was the tape and its contents sent to radio stations.  My guess would be late October or early November 1971 -- quite a bit of time before the album was released.

Thanks for posting the Spring album press kit.  I hadn't seen one of those.   
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 09, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »

The letter from United Artists states, "There will be an album shortly, while the single, "Now That Everything's Been Said," from the LP is enclosed."  That lead-off single was released October 20, 1971, while the album did not come out until July 1972.  The tape was reportedly recorded early in the morning of October 9, 1971; begging the question as to exactly when was the tape and its contents sent to radio stations.  My guess would be late October or early November 1971 -- quite a bit of time before the album was released.

Thanks for posting the Spring album press kit.  I hadn't seen one of those.    

I've just GOT to learn reading comprehension !
Do you think there's a special release version of NTEBS out there that none of us has seen? Or would it have been a standard Promo 45?   possibly, but unlikely, a Stock 45?  

as both their 45s were released prior to the LP release, with seemingly little interest, should UA have released a third single after the LP release to help promote it?

I think there might be pics of the complete press kit posted somewhere on this board, but I don't have any idea how to find them. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:22:53 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 09, 2016, 11:12:28 PM »

The letter from United Artists states, "There will be an album shortly, while the single, "Now That Everything's Been Said," from the LP is enclosed."  That lead-off single was released October 20, 1971, while the album did not come out until July 1972.  The tape was reportedly recorded early in the morning of October 9, 1971; begging the question as to exactly when was the tape and its contents sent to radio stations.  My guess would be late October or early November 1971 -- quite a bit of time before the album was released.

Thanks for posting the Spring album press kit.  I hadn't seen one of those.   

Jim, The Spring album was released in May 1972. Don't know the exact day, but my original LP copy has my name and "5-72" etched into the dead wax and written on the inside of the album (along the edge where the record and inner sleeve is inserted).

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 10, 2016, 06:04:56 AM »

Your sealed signed copy of the promo kit beats my unsigned one... tho, does yours have the mailer envelope?  

Nope, that envelope is very cool...

On second thought, I've seen that envelope before... I need to check my paper goods file.  Maybe I separated the envelope from the album for some reason.  Buy it could be that I just saw it in someone's collection.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:10:22 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: April 10, 2016, 07:15:49 AM »

Thanks Custom Machine!  I consulted Brad Elliott's Surf's Up! which lists July, but perhaps there was a later correction.  In either case, releasing the promo tape about seven months before the album certainly did not help sales of the LP and, unfortunately, did very little for the the lead-off single.

Chris -- I would imagine it was the standard promotional copy of the single and, to the best of my knowledge, since one has never surfaced, unlikely there was a promotional only picture sleeve.   
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 10, 2016, 07:35:36 AM »

Thanks Custom Machine!  I consulted Brad Elliott's Surf's Up! which lists July, but perhaps there was a later correction.  In either case, releasing the promo tape about seven months before the album certainly did not help sales of the LP and, unfortunately, did very little for the the lead-off single.

I checked Bellagio And Elliott's book, but they ( obviously) both differ from May 72.
bolstering CM's proof is this review in the June 10 Billboard: http://tinyurl.com/h5pqhkf

Tho I'm wondering if they really checked it out based on the Ginger reference

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 10, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »

I checked Bellagio And Elliott's book, but they ( obviously) both differ from May 72.
bolstering CM's proof is this review in the June 10 Billboard: http://tinyurl.com/h5pqhkf

Tho I'm wondering if they really checked it out based on the Ginger reference

Nice research, bgas. And since Billboard mags were dated a week after they hit the newsstands, given the time necessary to compile and publish the magazine, the review would have been written in May. (Of course, although I bought the album in May, the fact that that the review would have been written in May does not in itself guarantee a May release, as Billboard's review could have been written from an advance copy.)

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 19, 2016, 07:02:01 PM »

WOW WOW WOW , Spring Promo still sealed
I've gone to $100 and the reserve is not met, will be very interesting how this ends up
Bgas and others, over to you  Roll Eyes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRING-THE-HONEYS-BEACH-BOYS-ULTRA-RA-wbr-RE-SEALED-ORIG-039-71-PROMO-LP-w-INSERT-/141964396950?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276&autorefresh=true

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:05:52 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 19, 2016, 09:02:21 PM »

WOW WOW WOW , Spring Promo still sealed
I've gone to $100 and the reserve is not met, will be very interesting how this ends up
Bgas and others, over to you  Roll Eyes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRING-THE-HONEYS-BEACH-BOYS-ULTRA-RA-wbr-RE-SEALED-ORIG-039-71-PROMO-LP-w-INSERT-/141964396950?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276&autorefresh=true

Well actually, if you check the bids page, you'll see that it says the reserve price HAS been met.
You obviously want this one, eh?
You'll get no competition from me; I've got a couple of sealed ones on the shelf, tho they're not promos. 
Seller tends to be a chump. He's NEVER ever wrong about any of his listings, tho I ( and others) have repeatedly pointed to errors in his previous listings.
Fortunately for you, this one appears to be accurate

Hope you win

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 19, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »

I'm out! over my $ limit.  Good Luck!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 20, 2016, 04:41:28 PM »

Gotta love it:

"The record (probably) has stock labels" and "Guaranteed original beige United Artists label with brown logo".

and,

"The album in guaranteed to come with its original insert/lyrics sheet" but superimposed on a picture of the original insert/lyrics sheet, "This is the insert we believe you will find inside".

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 20, 2016, 06:56:07 PM »

Gotta love it:

"The record (probably) has stock labels" and "Guaranteed original beige United Artists label with brown logo".

and,

"The album in guaranteed to come with its original insert/lyrics sheet" but superimposed on a picture of the original insert/lyrics sheet, "This is the insert we believe you will find inside".

YEah, that's kinda the problem with this seller. They make alot of claims, and then, back off elsewhere; but if you call them on it, they just try and claim that they are primo sellers with this fantastic knowledge and rep and there's no way in the world they could ever be wrong about anything with any of their listings.
 I called them on a few listings some years back and got stonewalled and hence, never bid.
 I know that Frank Daniels( Beatles books among other credits) has also run into their deadheaded claims with similar results. 

They're funny....

harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 22, 2016, 04:51:47 AM »

Yeah, I've had issues with this guy before; even in this listing he has contradictory facts. Here's another:

·       THE ALBUM IS GUARANTEED TO COME WITH ITS ORIGINAL INSERT / LYRICS SHEET
·       ORIGINAL GATEFOLD COVER, MADE OF THICK CARDBOARD (AMERICAN STYLE)   (SORRY, INSERT NOT INCLUDED)

Yet somehow his auctions always get top dollar. What gives?
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 27, 2016, 07:14:22 AM »

Gorgeous pic, from i assume the Big Sur Folk Festival 1970

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEACH-BOYS-10x8-inch-lab-printed-glossy-photo-P-3655-/221841821205?hash=item33a6cd8e15:g:IokAAOSw~gRVvPas
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 01, 2016, 12:31:31 AM »

The bidding for this has closed, but I thought it was interesting enough to post. Fifteen minutes of 8mm footage from 1977. http://gottahaverockandroll.com/The_Beach_Boys_Unreleased_8mm_Concert_Film_1977_De-LOT16649.aspx

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 01, 2016, 01:12:53 AM »

Did you see the next item? TAMI contract completed and I guess signed by Murry. No bids.

http://gottahaverockandroll.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=16650&auctionid=30&page=0&sortby=0&category=1
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 01, 2016, 04:54:51 AM »

As he had been fired in April, there is no reason for Murray to have signed the contract.  The BBs were managed by the firm of Cummins and Currant from April 1964 to early 1966.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: May 02, 2016, 08:41:56 AM »

Did you see the next item? TAMI contract completed and I guess signed by Murry. No bids.

http://gottahaverockandroll.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=16650&auctionid=30&page=0&sortby=0&category=1

The item after that is an odd curio: A copy of "Surf's Up" signed by several BB's, including David Marks! Plus, he writes out some of the lyrics to "Surfer Girl." Weird.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 02, 2016, 12:12:34 PM »

There has been a few items where Dave writes the lyric then signs. I think it is just his thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-Signed-Handwritten-Lyrics-To-Surfin-USA-By-Dave-Marks-Al-Jardine/131787214756?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36470%26meid%3D8dd4b6e1a24b47ffad787d558746f6b7%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D371518609300
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 02, 2016, 01:04:54 PM »

I think that Dave did a few paid signings in 2012 and many of these albums, guitars, lyric sheets, etc. came from those engagements. My guess is these autograph dealers didn't necessarily do their homework or care if Dave appeared on certain songs or albums--I've never heard Dave refusing to sign items due to the material not coming from his era.

Also, that "Brian Wilson" looks like a Foskett special...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:06:11 PM by Marty Castillo » Logged
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 31, 2016, 01:35:53 PM »

Not a bad price for a fully-signed 15 Big Ones. Signatures appear to be legit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-rare-autographed-vinyl-record-/272259474748?hash=item3f63ede53c:g:fEIAAOSwd2xXP2oP

The seller's photos are terrible, but it looks like Al signed over Brian's signature or vice-versa.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: May 31, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-rare-autographed-vinyl-record-/272259474748?hash=item3f63ede53c:g:fEIAAOSwd2xXP2oP

The seller's photos are terrible, but it looks like Al signed over Brian's signature or vice-versa.

The listing is a trainwreck of red flag warning signs. Seller with feedback score of "1", and seller rating of only 67% (two positives and one negative, ever), horrible pictures, few total pictures, unclear and arguably incorrect description (Brian is the only still living member? It has the signature of every member "ever existing in the band? So Blondie, Ricky, and Dave signed it too?)

It's also not a very attractive signed piece as signed pieces go. Faded, thin ballpoint pen, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 31, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »

The listing is a trainwreck of red flag warning signs. Seller with feedback score of "1", and seller rating of only 67% (two positives and one negative, ever), horrible pictures, few total pictures, unclear and arguably incorrect description (Brian is the only still living member? It has the signature of every member "ever existing in the band? So Blondie, Ricky, and Dave signed it too?)

It's also not a very attractive signed piece as signed pieces go. Faded, thin ballpoint pen, etc.

And one signature appears to read "Glen Cambell's soup"!

“We live in divisive times.”
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 31, 2016, 02:28:34 PM »

It does indeed!  LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 31, 2016, 03:43:18 PM »

It does indeed!  LOL

And 'Glen' has spelled his name incorrectly as he has missed out the 'p' in Campbell!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx