gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680777 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 04:01:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Ebay find  (Read 133990 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 10, 2015, 07:48:28 AM »

Looks maybe more like Jeff dropped his pen and it landed on a photo of John Cusack …

Like!   Grin
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 12, 2015, 04:17:49 PM »

If there's any interest: couldn't remember which thread we talked about the Xmas cassette, but Perry Cox now has 8 more copies for sale @ $49 each plus $6 shipping... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-93-UNISSUED-DJ-VERS-OF-BEACH-BOYS-1977-CHRISTMAS-ALBUM-cassette-/201406341370

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 12, 2015, 05:08:25 PM »

If there's any interest: couldn't remember which thread we talked about the Xmas cassette, but Perry Cox now has 8 more copies for sale @ $49 each plus $6 shipping...  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-93-UNISSUED-DJ-VERS-OF-BEACH-BOYS-1977-CHRISTMAS-ALBUM-cassette-/201406341370
I just purchased one. Smiley Chris, thanks for the heads up.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 13, 2015, 05:20:13 PM »

What is the sound quality like on this cassette?  Do the 'unreleased' tracks sound better than they do on the boots?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 13, 2015, 07:12:59 PM »

What is the sound quality like on this cassette?  Do the 'unreleased' tracks sound better than they do on the boots?
I will let you know when my cassette arrives. None of the boots that I have heard have a clean version of Go and Get That Girl. There are issues with either sample rate, pitch and speed. There are a few others too that are a few generations away fro the original, so the cassette should be a major improvement.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2015, 01:59:57 AM »

Thanks, I have the same issue with mine too.  I would imagine the sound would be better on the cassette.  However, I wondered why the bootleggers haven't gotten a hold of it yet.  I really like that song.

Unfortunately shipping is 20 quid to the UK.  For a cassette!  Huh
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:00:54 AM by mikeddonn » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: August 14, 2015, 03:08:26 AM »

Looks maybe more like Jeff dropped his pen and it landed on a photo of John Cusack …

Nothing to do with Jeff - he was long gone by then. Equally unlikely to be anything to do with Brian, mind.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 14, 2015, 04:28:48 AM »

A few years ago, I bought a signed one of these for £20 off eBay. When it arrived, I opened it to find three additional signatures across the CD outer card, CD front cover and the front of the booklet. I questioned the seller over the authenticity (to be honest, they looked like the legit 'squiggle' that passes for a BW signature these days compared against my own 'in-person' signatures) and he replied that he had got the signatures in person and had 'hoped that it would have sold for more!'

Very nice set, though
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: August 14, 2015, 07:08:59 AM »

Hoping at least one of the eight or more folks who bought the '77 X-Mas cassette (the fact that someone is selling *that* many copies of an ostensibly "in house" item is a bit odd I have to say) will post some stuff on YouTube or something so we can A/B it against what's already out there. I'm very interested to hear if we have upgrades on a few of the tracks now.

Still curious what the circumstance were/are of the apparent attempt to put that X-Mas stuff out in 1993, and how so many copies (as if they were actual regular "promo" copies of something that was about to be released) exist, considering it most likely never got BRI approval and was an in-house item.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 14, 2015, 07:40:52 AM »

Hoping at least one of the eight or more folks who bought the '77 X-Mas cassette (the fact that someone is selling *that* many copies of an ostensibly "in house" item is a bit odd I have to say) will post some stuff on YouTube or something so we can A/B it against what's already out there. I'm very interested to hear if we have upgrades on a few of the tracks now.

Still curious what the circumstance were/are of the apparent attempt to put that X-Mas stuff out in 1993, and how so many copies (as if they were actual regular "promo" copies of something that was about to be released) exist, considering it most likely never got BRI approval and was an in-house item.

Of course I bought one for my collection, so perhaps I have a vested interest, but: 

This being a 1993 issued Capitol item, if 10 copies had shown up on ebay over the course of the last 22 years, I doubt you would question their legitimacy.
So the fact that one person who ostensibly worked at Capitol in 1993 stashed away 10 copies and forgot about them until now doesn't really strike me as odd. 
I did broach the question with the seller as to the sources credentials, and he had no qualms, which  is good enough for me.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: August 14, 2015, 12:46:32 PM »

As I've said before, I would tend to think these cassettes are legit. It's quite possible random caches of this type of material can pop up (e.g. the working version of "Warmth of the Sun" with "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again" ).

I'm more interested in the genesis of the project. Even *that* many in-house promo copies existing (enough to warrant actually sending it out to replicate and have labels done) makes me think it was more serious of a project than just a staffer throwing it together on a lark. But the timing and context don't make much sense; I still don't feel like BRI would be behind such a project in 1998, nor am I convinced Capitol would have listened to that in 1993 and thought it was good enough for its own stand-alone release.

I'm surprised more folks aren't interested in this, but I guess the 1977 X-Mas sessions aren't of great interest to a lot of folks.  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 14, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »

Well, the listing  is ended now, so at least 8 people were interested enough to buy one, not counting me....
Heck, Jim Murphy bought one, and his era is 61-63...

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 14, 2015, 01:47:53 PM »

I really hope that at least one more turns up, so I can get it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 17, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »

Ok, as promised my report back on the Christmas Tape. The quality is really good (if it wasn't on a 22 cassette it would be even better I suppose.). Clear quality on those songs that we've heard booted a million times.

What I am trying to determine is if a few of the tracks are running fast. Carl sounds sped up on "Seasons in the Sun" and a few others seem faster as well. But I am not sure if it is or if my mind is playing tricks on me because of all of those boots over the years that played with the speed and pitches (the boot lp runs really fast yet Dumb Angel a rarities seems a little slow).

Anybody else that got the tape have similar feedback?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 17, 2015, 07:19:54 PM »

Ok, as promised my report back on the Christmas Tape. The quality is really good (if it wasn't on a 22 cassette it would be even better I suppose.). Clear quality on those songs that we've heard booted a million times.

What I am trying to determine is if a few of the tracks are running fast. Carl sounds sped up on "Seasons in the Sun" and a few others seem faster as well. But I am not sure if it is or if my mind is playing tricks on me because of all of those boots over the years that played with the speed and pitches (the boot lp runs really fast yet Dumb Angel a rarities seems a little slow).

Anybody else that got the tape have similar feedback?
I've had a fast listen and overall the sound quality is generally very good. I think we have some different mixes than on Ultimate Christmas. CTIHA is different. COW sounds like the original 1974 mix. Santa's On His Way is a different mix than any boot that I have heard. Due to speed and pitch issues on the boots, I need to re-listen to Alone on Xmas Day, Go and Get That Girl, and Seasons to see if they sound correct or different. Since this tape is from 1993, I am assuming that we have the original mixes used for the 1977 submitted album. As I recall, most of the 77 tracks on Ultimate Christmas were all remixed for that CD, correct? I will try to write more by this weekend after I get a chance to re-listen to the tape.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 17, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »

COW is definitely a different mix. The instrumentation on "Rockin around the tree" (aka Hey there Momma) is a different mix (instrumentation on end part of song sounds different).

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 17, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »

I'm guessing it shouldn't be too long before the contents show up being offered for sale/ trade by someone, considering there were at least 10 copies sold.
 Not from me; tho.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 17, 2015, 09:29:23 PM »

Wouldn't you notice if you put the decimal point n the wrong place?   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beach-Boys-lot-of-7-8-Track-Tapes-Used-Rock-/271960492059   

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 21, 2015, 04:36:15 PM »

There are a few Beach Boys related items in the RR Auction ending on September 16.

This promo photo signed by Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike and Al is pretty cool if your name is "Howard"
http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=810

Here is a contract signed by Billy Hinsche for an appearance on the Mike Douglas Show with his group Dino, Desi and Billy
http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=889

I always enjoyed Blondie's solo on The Beach Boys Today!
http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=871
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 21, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »

There are a few Beach Boys related items in the RR Auction ending on September 16.

I always enjoyed Blondie's solo on The Beach Boys Today!
http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=871

Yeah, there's a No-Brainer. why would anyone think that's a good idea? I can't even imagine anyone wanting to buy that, but I'm certain someone will

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 22, 2015, 11:03:31 AM »

Here ya go. Another idiot seller, seemingly completely brain dead.  

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Beach-Boys-Play-Tapes-Lot-Of-3-Unused-Unplayed-/291546018185    

Unused?!?  UNPLAYED?!?!?!?!?  very likely only by the people that haven't possessed them yet

Better yet: buy the unplayed Beatles play tapes  (  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Beattles-George-Harrison-Promotional-Play-Tapes-Unplayed-condition-Lot-Of-3-/291545913169  ) where the homemade HELP! label covers the factory Beatles Second Album label...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:26:07 AM by bgas » Logged

beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 22, 2015, 11:44:14 AM »

I noticed someone put up a SMiLE CD signed by Brian, Al, and Blondie. The starting bid was $50 and one person put in a bid. I was actually kind of surprised...

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 31, 2015, 07:51:09 PM »

Hmm, this could be worth some serious cash if there was a photo of Mike wearing this exact jacket...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-GENUINE-BEACH-BOYS-JACKET-WORN-BY-MIKE-LOVE-DURING-1964-TOUR-OF-AUSTRALIA-/111758746320?hash=item1a055722d0
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 31, 2015, 08:23:12 PM »

Not sure about 64 but it looks more like this late 70s picture to me.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mn%2Bdll73L._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also, was that BB logo around in 64? I think the jacket owner is confused with the 78 Aust/NZ tour.

Note this line :

'The stains looks like water or alcohol marks.'

Spilled by another band member in Perth or Melbourne perhaps? Wink

Close up of Mike wearing it inside the Preiss book also.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:09:59 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 01, 2015, 12:58:44 AM »

In the photos at least it looks too small for Mike Love.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx