gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:40:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Ebay find  (Read 132893 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »

Says its a striped shirt that Mike Love sold in 1967.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shirt-owned-by-Mike-Love-of-the-Beach-Boys-/290842230602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b78c3f4a

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »

Crazy some of the stuff that shows up on ebay from time to time.  I wonder how much he originally paid for it.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »

I wonder if Mike ever wore it, and if he did if it has any Mike Stains?!?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:12:16 PM »

If it does, let's be happy that it's a shirt and not a pair of pants.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »

Now that is cool, and as a vintage shirt from a tailor/designer from that era, it is collectible. If wearable and and decent stain-free condition, I'd say that price is good if not pretty close to being on the mark for collector value.

However, if someone is looking for the direct BB's connection as a collectors' item to increase the value/worth of this shirt, there needs to be documentation. Even a brochure, a newspaper clipping showing the shirt, a letter of authenticity...otherwise, it's a vintage shirt with the letters ML on it.

Collectors: Am I right on this?

I think it's awesome as a vintage shirt, if I had the extra scratch I'd bid.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »

It might have a few stray hairs on the shoulder… would that count as authentification?

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 05:45:19 PM »

FWIW. Their website states they started in 1971 so that raises doubts about the auction claim.

http://www.actorsandothers.com/aboutus.html

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »

FWIW. Their website states they started in 1971 so that raises doubts about the auction claim.

http://www.actorsandothers.com/aboutus.html

The charity is well-known enough in LA, for sure, but was it a different name before 1971? Or is the date simply wrong, and Mike donated one of his old shirts after '71?

Who knows - worth asking, though, especially when the value depends on authenticity and the direct connection to the celebrity.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 05:56:22 PM »

And again, let me say that an original 60's Harvey Krantz shirt in decent condition, in my opinion, would be worth their current asking price just on that name alone. It's not an unreasonable price for such an item, unless there are flaws and damages we cannot see in the photos.

As far as stage wear, design, and celebrity clothes and costumes, his name is up there in the legendary category. His website mentions the Beach Boys among dozens of celeb clients through the years.

http://www.harveykrantz.com/index.htm

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »

Not saying it's not legit or anything but minimum 100 bucks and are you sure it was Mike's?

Bought one exactly like that from J.C. Penny's a few years ago. Avalable in blue and white stripes. Paid about 25 bucks for it. Also see them on Ebay.

This company has them too:

http://buffalogalvintage.com/mens-clothing/shirts/1960s-mens-shirts/vintage-red-and-white-striped-beach-boys-shirt.html

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 06:32:41 PM »

But the copies are not Harvey Krantz label originals - to vintage clothing collectors and dealers, that kind of name on a shirt would be like any famous name on any antique: It increases the value because of that brand.

It's like finding one of those decked-out 60's/70's rhinestone-studded country stage suits without a label versus finding one with the "Nudie" label inside. The brand name would bring 10-times more value (or more) than the no-name brand.

I don't think it's a bad price so far.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »

Well............I have a Pendleton board shirt made by Pendleton and the color is called "Beach Boys Plaid". Just like on the album covers of the first coupla albums. Even Al Jardine told me it was the real deal, and that David Marks borrowed his shirt for the album cover shot!

So I know it's the real thing.  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 08:26:40 PM »

If it does, let's be happy that it's a shirt and not a pair of pants.
LOL LOL LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 06:51:45 AM »

It might have a few stray hairs on the shoulder… would that count as authentification?
DNA test for authentication? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 06:54:50 AM »

Nah, just premature balding!

Seriously, if this shirt is the real deal, I'd love it. Don't know what I'd do with it but nevertheless…

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 06:58:47 AM »

Nah, just premature balding!

Seriously, if this shirt is the real deal, I'd love it. Don't know what I'd do with it but nevertheless…
It would be cool to frame it and put it on display in your family room.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 07:48:15 AM »

In the family room? How does anyone get away with that!?!?!  Would it need ironing

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 07:53:01 AM »

In the family room? How does anyone get away with that!?!?!  Would it need ironing
Its an important "relic", frame it in picture frame with a glass cover and hang it on the wall.  Like people do for old sports jerseys. Or have AGD wear it around Farnham......
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:54:40 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 07:58:04 AM »

Ha ha! At first I thought it said "sh*t owned by Mike Love"

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »

A quick look at some of the stripped shirt era shots show mainly short sleeves but it could be this one.

http://www.driddell.com/4/Beach%20Boys1%201967.jpg
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 01:21:14 PM »

In the family room? How does anyone get away with that!?!?!  Would it need ironing

Most likely, you wouldn't want it to have any Wrinkles.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »

Are there any originals under glass at the R&R Hall of Fame in Cleveland?

There should be.

(original shirts, not original band members)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »

I would be weary of anyone with 0 feedback.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »

I would be weary of anyone with 0 feedback.

Why do they tire you so?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 10:51:47 PM »

Well............I have a Pendleton board shirt made by Pendleton and the color is called "Beach Boys Plaid". Just like on the album covers of the first coupla albums. Even Al Jardine told me it was the real deal, and that David Marks borrowed his shirt for the album cover shot!

So I know it's the real thing.  Cheesy

That is a shirt I've wanted to own. If it weren't for my fears of destroying it in the wash or spilling tomato sauce on it, it would be a favorite for sure.

Very cool shirt, also neat to see Pendelton do those in-store displays with the Boys some time ago.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx