gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680719 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:47:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Ebay find  (Read 133453 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 21, 2016, 01:08:25 PM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351632120952

7" acetate of Little Pad, b/w a Janis Ian track. Another of those fakes? Did Little Pad come out as a 45 anywhere in the world? Seems bizarre…

“We live in divisive times.”
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 21, 2016, 01:17:22 PM »

Well, the seller's statement "I HAVE NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER THIS IS THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD" might tell us something.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 21, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »

Odds are that it's a fake.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 04, 2016, 07:38:42 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-beach-boys-Surf-in-USA-2-track-7-1-2-Ips-7-inches-/111918324583?hash=item1a0eda1b67:g:VjMAAOSwFNZWuftd

check it out. dodgy?!!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 04, 2016, 09:05:56 PM »

As dodgy as they get...  Note the play on words "Surf In USA," and the titles on the back are the Hite Morgan tracks that have been released umpteen million times.  Easy for anyone with a reel-to-reel deck to dub a CD to a blank reel of tape and pass it off as a "master reel."

Lee
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 04, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »

exactly, I could do this myself with my own gear.  I can't see how a seller can sell these when they are illegal.
someone in the BB world should get onto that, and look at some of his others too. beatles, McCartney etc
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:29:10 PM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 05, 2016, 08:11:57 PM »

here it is folks, the elusive 'summer in paradise' on vinyl.  open up your wallets  Shocked

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BEACH-BOYS-Summer-In-Paradise-Vinyl-LP-1993-INSERT-/182075087920?hash=item2a64855c30:g:DWwAAOSw6wRW~kWq
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 05, 2016, 08:14:55 PM »

I wouldn't even pay 2 bucks for that piece of crap.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 06, 2016, 04:52:27 AM »

Somebody on here is going to complete their collection of vinyl!  Grin

Not me though at that price!   Undecided
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 06, 2016, 10:07:03 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/This-Whole-World-The-Complete-BEACH-BOYS-Single-EP-Cover-Collection-Book-/361379051071  

If anybody is interested in this book, I still have a few of it for 20 Euro each............ (sealed)

Mail me at     cranberryhill@t-online.de

Manfred Schmidt
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:08:06 AM by Manfred » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #410 on: April 06, 2016, 10:44:36 AM »

http://entertainment.ha.com/itm/entertainment-and-music/beach-boys-tour-photograph-group-1966-/p/7144-33001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 06, 2016, 02:49:46 PM »

That's actually pretty low compared for what it's sold for in the past few years. I know of 2 sold in the last 3 years for about $400.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 08, 2016, 11:05:11 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brian-Wilson-talks-with-and-about-Spring-original-5-reel-Super-Rare-/191839475732?hash=item2caa861814:g:I8QAAOSw9KpW~ebr
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: April 09, 2016, 02:28:53 AM »

Whoa ! That's the real (reel ?) deal. And yes, only 25 were mailed out. After an original Smile booklet, this may just be the rarest BB-associated item there is (unless you count Brian's bowling shoes...).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 09, 2016, 05:52:33 AM »

Very nice, and definitely the real (reel) deal, as opposed to the Greg Shaw reissue.  The original had a white box, while the reissue had a red and white Realistic (Radio Shack's tape brand) box.  Not worth $1,800 though, and I think there were more than 25, as the program director for Charlotte's biggest FM radio station in the early '70's had one that I couldn't pry away from him.  Granted Charlotte was a Top 50 market, and this guy knew Fred Vail personally, but I think 50 to 100 is a better number.

Lee
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:56:58 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 09, 2016, 06:26:41 AM »

Very nice, and definitely the real (reel) deal, as opposed to the Greg Shaw reissue.  The original had a while box, while the reissue had a red and white Realistic (Radio Shack's tape brand) box.  Not worth $1,800 though, and I think there were more than 25, as the program director for Charlotte's biggest FM radio station in the early '70's had one that I couldn't pry away from him.  Granted Charlotte was a Top 50 market, and this guy knew Fred Vail personally, but I think 50 to 100 is a better number.

Lee

As to value, you have to notice:
 the box is in two completely separate pieces now, not attached at the folded seam;
 the promo letter is missing in action;

That's why there's a best offer selection, tho I doubt the seller will let it go for half or less.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: April 09, 2016, 12:24:35 PM »

I have one of these, but without what appears to be a booklet (with the BW & VDP quote on the cover) and I was unaware that it came with a letter, but that makes sense since it was a promo for radio stations.

I paid $148 in December 2012, but my copy is not in the relatively good condition as the one currently offered.  The hinge along one side of the box has also separated on my copy.  The back of my box has a large circular spot of water damage (someone apparently used it as a coaster for their 128 ounce beverage  Undecided) and some slight resultant mold.  The front cover and photo are in pretty decent shape, as is the actual tape. I do wish I had the insert (booklet?) and promo letter, but . . . .    

I do not believe the seller will have anyone nibbling at it for $1,800, and any Best Offer would probably be considered offensively low. But is is definitely a rare piece of Beach Boys memorabilia and you do not see it offered very often. But it is not nearly as rare, imho, as the the stock and promo copies of "The Surfer Moon" by Bob & Sheri on Safari 101.  It would be interesting to know how many of those survived.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 12:44:56 PM by Jim Murphy » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 09, 2016, 03:19:05 PM »

I do not believe the seller will have anyone nibbling at it for $1,800, and any Best Offer would probably be considered offensively low. But is is definitely a rare piece of Beach Boys memorabilia and you do not see it offered very often. But it is not nearly as rare, imho, as the the stock and promo copies of "The Surfer Moon" by Bob & Sheri on Safari 101.  It would be interesting to know how many of those survived.

It would be nice if there was an accounting somehow of exactly how many copies of ANY rare BBs items were actually manufactured.
 Pipedream, I know; as even with more "common" rarities, there's no accounting.
and there's always people that collect to have something and while never letting anyone else know they have it

I know the promo Bob and Sheri has to be much rarer than the stock copy( since I don't have the promo, dontchaknow)  
My stock copy ( it's fairly beatup), tho, was signed on the label, presumably, by Bob and Sheri.  I wonder if that was a commonplace happening.    
I paid $100 to a dealer who thought, mistakenly, he was getting the best of me  ( wish he had more rarities, to take me again and again and again....)  

Oops, meant to reply to the first part but had a lapse:  
I have one of these, but without what appears to be a booklet (with the BW & VDP quote on the cover) and I was unaware that it came with a letter, but that makes sense since it was a promo for radio stations.

I'd swear that somewhere on here I had posted a pic of the letter. I tried searching, but could only find reference to someone wanting to use the image of the letter, not the actual image.
 Thought it was in media, but that's still alot( hey Mikie) of threads to search.  ( I came up empty)  

and  referencing below...  nothing great of late have I added.
Jim gets all the good stuff now!  

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 03:48:47 PM by bgas » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 09, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »

Bgas, what new stuff you add to the collection recently?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 09, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »

It would be nice if there was an accounting somehow of exactly how many copies of ANY rare BBs items were actually manufactured.
and there's always people that collect to have something and while never letting anyone else know they have it

I know the promo Bob and Sheri has to be much rarer than the stock copy( since I don't have the promo, dontchaknow)  
My stock copy ( it's fairly beatup), tho, was signed on the label, presumably, by Bob and Sheri.  I wonder if that was a commonplace happening.    
I paid $100 to a dealer who thought, mistakenly, he was getting the best of me  ( wish he had more rarities, to take me again and again and again....)  

I'd swear that somewhere on here I had posted a pic of the letter. I tried searching, but could only find reference to someone wanting to use the image of the letter, not the actual image.
 Thought it was in media, but that's still alot( hey Mikie) of threads to search.  ( I came up empty)  

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22760.msg538333.html#msg538333

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 09, 2016, 06:03:42 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22760.msg538333.html#msg538333

THAT'S what I was thinking.  Thanxx, Alan!! 

Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: April 09, 2016, 06:21:53 PM »

Thanks Alan for finding that and posting the link, and thanks Chis for sharing it originally. 

Was the original 20-page booklet also re-produced by Greg Shaw?  I imagine finding an original booklet, or a complete set of the tape, box, booklet, and letter (and, apparently, a copy of the "Now That Everything's Been Said") might be close to impossible to find without taking out a second mortgage.. 

A cool recent acquisition for me was an acetate of the withdrawn U.S. copy of the "School Days" 45 rpm on Caribou/Epic dated July 31, 1980.

But don't let him fool ya' . . . Chris gets most of the really cool stuff.  Holland from Germany, anyone?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 09, 2016, 06:47:04 PM »

Thanks Alan for finding that and posting the link, and thanks Chis for sharing it originally.  

Was the original 20-page booklet also re-produced by Greg Shaw?  I imagine finding an original booklet, or a complete set of the tape, box, booklet, and letter (and, apparently, a copy of the "Now That Everything's Been Said") might be close to impossible to find without taking out a second mortgage..  

A cool recent acquisition for me was an acetate of the withdrawn U.S. copy of the "School Days" 45 rpm on Caribou/Epic dated July 31, 1980.

But don't let him fool ya' . . . Chris gets most of the really cool stuff.  Holland from Germany, anyone?

Judging only by my Greg Shaw copy, there wasn't a booklet included( and I reaffirm, I bought it directly from Greg/Suzie/Bomp)  

I'd venture a complete orignal with all the contents is scarce!
Bit confused by "Now That Everything's Been Said"; do you mean Good time/Awake stock copy?  

If so, I'd go out on a limb and offer to trade it straight up for the Bob and Sheri promo 45, presuming similar condition(s)...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:37:44 PM by bgas » Logged

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 09, 2016, 07:52:46 PM »

Chris, I'll give you a chance to edit your post to "Good Time" / "Sweet Mountain"...

Interestingly, my "Brian Wilson Talks With and About Spring" tape is the Bomp reissue, but it was sold to me with an original copy of the booklet.  So Jim, i may very well have the booklet that goes with your tape!

I'll throw another Spring rarity out there -- the original LP promo kit with sealed LP, press kit / photo, white wrap-around outer cover, and Spring flower seeds -- still sealed in the shrink wrap, with Marilyn and Diane's autographs on the outside.  How does that stack up against the original interview tape and the "Good Time" / "Sweet Mountain" stock copy?

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 09, 2016, 08:08:19 PM »

Chris, I'll give you a chance to edit your post to "Good Time" / "Sweet Mountain"...

Interestingly, my "Brian Wilson Talks With and About Spring" tape is the Bomp reissue, but it was sold to me with an original copy of the booklet.  So Jim, i may very well have the booklet that goes with your tape!

I'll throw another Spring rarity out there -- the original LP promo kit with sealed LP, press kit / photo, white wrap-around outer cover, and Spring flower seeds -- still sealed in the shrink wrap, with Marilyn and Diane's autographs on the outside.  How does that stack up against the original interview tape and the "Good Time" / "Sweet Mountain" stock copy?

Lee

Yeah, my mistake!  Good Time/ Sweet mountain it is...  

Your sealed signed copy of the promo kit beats my unsigned one... tho, does yours have the mailer envelope?  

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:36:49 PM by bgas » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx