gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:36:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Ebay find  (Read 134155 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2014, 08:22:36 AM »

BBs Live at The Spectrum  4/18/1980   on three 15IPS reels: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reel-to-Reel-15ips-MASTER-TAPE-THE-BEACH-BOYS-LIVE-AT-THE-SPECTRUM-4-18-1980-/141219365047     

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »

Holy Cow! That's awesome. The auction makes a claim of this being the first concert ever broadcast from Philly's "Spectrum", and that may be so but it seems a little off because The Spectrum had been hosting concerts with all of the major acts (now the 'legends') of rock music, soul music, etc throughout the 70's. Was this really the first live broadcast from there, in 1980? I'm suspicious considering the sheer volume of photos and other Spectrum memorabilia you can find on various "tribute" websites and pages since the Spectrum was demolished. I'll have to look into that a bit more, it really doesn't matter much but still...

Note as well: Stephen Desper listed on the tape box as one of the engineers.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2014, 11:22:14 AM »

One more little correction about the listing: The DJ mentioned was Ed Sciaky (pronounced Shock-ee), he was on WIOQ at the time along with DJ's like David Dye who now hosts "World Cafe". Progressive FM rock station in the late 70's, Sciaky was pretty well-known even outside Philly with his associations with Springsteen and others. He had a cool show on 94 WYSP in the 80's and early 90's called the Sunday Night Alternative, where he'd basically do his version of free-form FM radio and spin whatever he wanted, and that included some deep cuts by the Beach Boys that at that time you just didn't hear on FM. WYSP from about 88-92 was as good of a rock station as I've ever heard.

I just mention that to correct the spelling, and also to point out that a larger number than some would assume of rock DJ's like Ed Sciaky in the 70's themselves may have been fans and champions of the Beach Boys would play them if they had a more free-form show format while the radio stations guys like Ed worked for and their networks may not have played the band as much as they should have. There was a disconnect between DJ's who knew good music versus their station management deciding what their demo wanted to hear. Art versus commerce.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2014, 11:48:01 AM »

I remember Steve once talked about being asked by The Beach Boys to record this concert.  It's probably somewhere on this board.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:12:34 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »

The Wilson Project book for $10 ( Buy It Now) 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-WILSON-PROJECt-McParland-RARE-BEACH-BOYS-BRIAN-WILSON-GARY-USHER-09163855-/111302776653   

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2014, 07:46:32 PM »

Holy Cow! That's awesome. The auction makes a claim of this being the first concert ever broadcast from Philly's "Spectrum", and that may be so but it seems a little off because The Spectrum had been hosting concerts with all of the major acts (now the 'legends') of rock music, soul music, etc throughout the 70's. Was this really the first live broadcast from there, in 1980? I'm suspicious considering the sheer volume of photos and other Spectrum memorabilia you can find on various "tribute" websites and pages since the Spectrum was demolished. I'll have to look into that a bit more, it really doesn't matter much but still...

I was at this concert. Good show, the band rocked, but Brian wasn't very active. He barely sang but played good, consistent piano. One of the highlights, believe it or not, was "Long Tall Texan" - requested by Brian Wilson!

I then obtained a cassette of the concert. It included an interview conducted by Ed Sciaky almost right after the show ended. First up was Bruce Johnston, who was very positive and enthusiastic. He praised "Livin' With A Heartache", and said that it would be their next single. And then, guess who comes barreling into the interview? Brian Wilson. He sounded excited, maybe too excited if you know what I mean. He kept sniffing and you could almost envision him constantly wiping his nose. Shocked
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2014, 01:26:49 PM »

the ebay listing ended early.... I emailed to ask why, and the seller said he was contacted by someone who claimed they owned the rights
to the material....

so there ya go!

RickB
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »

Here's one I got from Ebay about 6 months ago.  It was described as needing the frame repaired, along with the back paper; unfortunately for me, the seller neglected to bother doing any packaging for safety. They wrapped it in brown paper and put it in the mail. When I received it, I could hear pieces of glass sliding around inside. Needless to say, it did some major damage, scratchinig the record and nicking the matting!  
   Seller didn't offer a partial refund, only a full refund If I sent it back. As I only paid $100 with shipping, I decided to keep it as-is.  

All original; the frame is now, I think, the least part of the damage....    Still worth it, but not near as nice as it should have been!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:21:24 AM by bgas » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2014, 02:52:16 PM »

Here's one I got from Ebay about 6 months ago.  It was described as needing the frame repaired, along with the back paper; unfortunately for me, the seller neglected to bother doing any packaging for safety. They wrapped it in brown paper and put it in the mail. When I received it, I could hear pieces of glass sliding around inside. Needless to say, it did some major damage, scratchinig the record and nicking the matting! 
   Seller didn't offer a partial refund, only a full refund If I sent it back. As I only paid $100 with shipping, I decided to keep it as-is. 

All original; the frame is now, I think, the least part of the damage....    Still worth it, but not near as nice as it should have been!

Wow, that's incredible.
So sad to hear about the glass scratching the record. I actually said "Oh, no!" out loud to my computer screen.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:55:24 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2014, 05:47:05 PM »

Thats really cool Bgas, when does your museum open? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2014, 08:18:34 PM »

What will I be able to charge the three that might show up every year?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2014, 11:40:56 PM »

I'll take an annual pass

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2014, 01:58:23 AM »

Great piece of history Bgas, whatever its state. Dealer should be struck off tho'…

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2014, 03:14:00 AM »

Free entry, but exit only on payment of suggested donation at descretion of proprietor.

Cool stuff, man, thanks for showing the picture.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2014, 05:15:41 AM »

Does Mikie get a lifetime pass?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2014, 06:02:57 AM »

Does Mikie get a lifetime pass?

I'm sending Mikie alot of passes, but he won't use them...

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2014, 07:00:41 AM »

Is that one of the Gold Records that Brian tried to give to Hal?  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2014, 08:59:09 AM »

Is that one of the Gold Records that Brian tried to give to Hal?  Grin

Nope. That paticular one is for sale at Rockaway, asking price $15,000.
 I'm a bit surprised, as I thought it would have "presented to Brian Wilson", but it's just like mine( better condition, of course) 
 http://www.rockaway.com/online/online/title.php?ItemID=23575

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »

wow!   here's a bargain vinyl lovers, check out this very rare collection of original sealed Lp's..... I love the 'buy it now' price...

this guy MUST be joking right?  LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEACH-BOYS-LPs-Original-SEALED-Collection-RARE-/390792329391?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item5afd09b8af

RickB
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2014, 03:25:10 PM »

wow!   here's a bargain vinyl lovers, check out this very rare collection of original sealed Lp's..... I love the 'buy it now' price...

this guy MUST be joking right?  LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEACH-BOYS-LPs-Original-SEALED-Collection-RARE-/390792329391?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item5afd09b8af

RickB

Theres always somebody on ebay with an idiotic price. 
That said, I've never seen a copy of In Concert with that promo sticker;   Sure would like to have one of those!!

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »

Chris, that's got to be a South African pressing doesn't it?  They were only known as "The Flames" with an "s" down there.  Plus the catalog prefix of "RRV" is weird.

Lee
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »

I'm sorry if I offend the seller, but that price is nuts for late 70's albums and reissues.

I tried to sell a sealed copy of Love You for 10 bucks on Ebay a few Christmases ago and no one even bid on it. You'll find copies sealed for 10 bucks anywhere.

One thing: As most sealed copies of Love You, for one, that come up for sale are cutouts, can you tell by the photos if these are cutouts too? Because the BB's in the late 70's did have an awful lot of cutouts...

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2014, 06:20:48 PM »

So tempting to send an offer of $10 to him...

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2014, 06:26:46 PM »

So tempting to send an offer of $10 to him...

Do it!

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »

haha! yeah! then you'd have a bargain!

having those 'pickwick' records sealed! WOOOWWW!!!

RickB
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx