gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wow...Extreme denial regarding Wrecking Crew replacing Beach Boys  (Read 32223 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2013, 04:48:39 PM »

I just used the Pet Sounds title track as an example of Leslie'd guitar because that was the topic. Remember too that Brian used the guitar through a Leslie for the intro hook of the song "Girl Don't Tell Me", which beat Emerick and the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" by a good margin of time.

Brian used the Leslie effect a good time before "GDTM".  Smiley

"She Rides With Me" being an obvious example.  Then "Good Vibrations".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2013, 07:17:14 PM »

I just used the Pet Sounds title track as an example of Leslie'd guitar because that was the topic. Remember too that Brian used the guitar through a Leslie for the intro hook of the song "Girl Don't Tell Me", which beat Emerick and the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" by a good margin of time.

I can't hear it on 'girl don't tell me', maybe Craig meant 'you're so good to me' ?

of course the leslie was used on organ from day 1 ('county fair', 'cuckoo clock', etc.)

anybody ever notice the clavinet through leslie on 'good time' ?

Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2013, 07:28:51 PM »

I can't hear it on 'girl don't tell me', maybe Craig meant 'you're so good to me' ?

of course the leslie was used on organ from day 1 ('county fair', 'cuckoo clock', etc.)

Leslie speaker on a guitar on GDTM?

Yes, it's fairly far up in the mix.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »

Don't look at me - I can't hear it either!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »

To me that has never sounded like bongos on the breakdown of Pet Sounds and especially not with Hot Rods. It sounds like some sort of log/tongue drum playing all on the same pitched tongue with barely padded mallets.

Well, of course I don't know if hot rods existed then?  And the thing is, it doesn't sound right on really good bongos, only crappy, unadjustable-headed ones.  A tongue drum with mallets is an interesting possibility, but I still feel like I hear some sort of drum head attack.  I guess there's really no way to know for sure.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2013, 08:02:27 PM »

Brian used the Leslie effect a good time before "GDTM".  Smiley

"She Rides With Me" being an obvious example.  Then "Good Vibrations".

Leslie speaker on a guitar on GDTM?

Yes, it's fairly far up in the mix.

are we listening to the same song?!? All I hear is a 12-string guitar w/ a touch of reverb, most prominently featured around 1:20 ... maybe it could be through a leslie on a really subtle, slow setting. but certainly not the pronounced fast effect as heard on 'pet sounds' and 'youre so good to me'.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:04:41 PM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »

To me that has never sounded like bongos on the breakdown of Pet Sounds and especially not with Hot Rods. It sounds like some sort of log/tongue drum playing all on the same pitched tongue with barely padded mallets.

Well, of course I don't know if hot rods existed then?  And the thing is, it doesn't sound right on really good bongos, only crappy, unadjustable-headed ones.  A tongue drum with mallets is an interesting possibility, but I still feel like I hear some sort of drum head attack.  I guess there's really no way to know for sure.

how about a set of car keys taped to a coke bottle hitting a fender jaguar with the mute on !?!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »

I totally f***ed that up, I meant to say "You're So Good To Me" had the guitar through Leslie. There is absolutely, positively, no Leslie'd guitar on Girl Don't Tell Me.

My bad.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2013, 09:06:54 PM »

Honest mistake, it's OK.   Grin

Let's not forget, in all of this, that the Wrecking Crew was pretty fucking awesome.  I just found this photo today and by god it makes me want to be in the studio.  Apparently it's a photo Donna Loren posted, from Capitol Studio A.

I was born at the wrong time.

I'm still offering a huge cash reward for anybody who can produce a great heretofore unseen photo of a Beach Boys instrumental session.  Particularly with the Boys on the instruments.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2013, 09:19:14 PM »

They've gotta be out there. There are countless photos I've seen from NY sessions at Mira Sound ... mostly taken by engineer George Schowerer I think.  They're fascinating but it ain't California !!!

And maybe if we were alive then, it wouldn't be fascinating because it would have been 'normal'.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »

Who are the three guys on guitars? I recognize Don Randi on the piano.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »

From L-R, Tedesco, Strange, Pitman on the Danelectro 6-string bass.  De Lory's way over there on the left.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2013, 08:58:44 AM »

And maybe if we were alive then, it wouldn't be fascinating because it would have been 'normal'.

Well, perhaps not, but to me the appeal seems sort of timeless.  There might be some golden age thinking there, but I feel that I would be equally fascinated even if today it were still "normal" to use great analog equipment, to have a bunch of great musicians in a room together playing cool 12-strings and Dano basses, and mixing it all down live.  It's just a great process.

They did dress better though.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »

From L-R, Tedesco, Strange, Pitman on the Danelectro 6-string bass.  De Lory's way over there on the left.

I thought that might have been Tedesco, but wasn't sure if that was a goatee or part of something hanging off the stand! And didn't even see DeLory on the left. Thanks, Josh.

I had not seen some of these pictures before until last night:

http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/media/

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »

get more recent photos here:  http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/photos.html

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »

Well, perhaps not, but to me the appeal seems sort of timeless.  There might be some golden age thinking there, but I feel that I would be equally fascinated even if today it were still "normal" to use great analog equipment, to have a bunch of great musicians in a room together playing cool 12-strings and Dano basses, and mixing it all down live.  It's just a great process.

They did dress better though.

I'm with you there too. I've gone back & forth on this and spend WAY too much time thinking about it over the years. I think maybe you're right about that (the timeless/quality/style aspect). But I can't help but feel there's a little bit of rose-colored glasses. I often ponder the irony of the digital age being partially responsible for allowing me to acquire all of the analog equipment I have.

But it's true. Things were generally better-made then, there was a market and appreciation for musicianship. And I do believe people were more disciplined and unique. And the clothes were way way better. I get all of my clothing from this thrift store in San Francisco called 'Clothes Contact' that sells stuff for $10 a pound.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2013, 11:10:42 PM »

I mean, just look at their shoes!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »

I was listening to 'Today' on a train back home today, and I noticed timbales are very present on 'Please Let Me Wonder' (good example is the fill around 2:25). I think maybe 'In the Back of My Mind' as well, and maybe more !

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »

I was listening to 'Today' on a train back home today, and I noticed timbales are very present on 'Please Let Me Wonder' (good example is the fill around 2:25). I think maybe 'In the Back of My Mind' as well, and maybe more !

What's interesting about Please Let Me Wonder and Timbales is that the timbales are actually explicitly mentioned on the AFM sheet.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2013, 10:00:53 PM »

What's interesting about Please Let Me Wonder and Timbales is that the timbales are actually explicitly mentioned on the AFM sheet.

Maybe they listed them as a separate instrument if they were overdubbed or not part of the drum kit? For union/payment reasons?

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2013, 03:33:30 AM »

If I remember correctly it might have been because Earl Palmer was given a double payment, yeah.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2014, 05:01:22 AM »

Well, of course I don't know if hot rods existed then?  And the thing is, it doesn't sound right on really good bongos, only crappy, unadjustable-headed ones.  A tongue drum with mallets is an interesting possibility, but I still feel like I hear some sort of drum head attack.  I guess there's really no way to know for sure.

how about a set of car keys taped to a coke bottle hitting a fender jaguar with the mute on !?!

Reviving this topic b/c I'm trying to determine where the famous Coca-Cola can percussion is on the song "Pet Sounds"...could it be the much-discussed bongos through a leslie overdub in the breakdown, which to Josh sound more like tongue drums than bongos, are actually the Coke cans banged together or with sticks? And on the basic track, it's definitely bongos, right? One of them sounds too deep and hollow to be Coke cans there...and, while we're at it, what about the clackety percussion overdub on "That's Not Me"...doesn't sound like the normal temple blocks (way to shallow-sounding)...sounds more like roller skates or horse shoes clip-clopping down a cobblestone road...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:06:09 AM by c-man » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2014, 12:48:15 PM »

Thing is the Beach Boys themselves seem to have hazy memories about it all...

I have only hazy memories of what I had for dinner last night.
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »

Hey, since we're partially on the subject of weird PS percussion, I've wondered for decades what the metallic "chik" sound is on the front of and throughout "Caroline No." The one that alternates with the Sparkletts bottle. It kinda sounds like two halves of the top of a metal music stand being clacked together. It's certainly not a tambourine because there are no jingles in the sound.
I will now perform the relevant intro :-)
chik-chik-chik, bubbabubbabubba, chik-chik-chik, bubbabubbabubba, chik-"Where did your long hair go..."
Don't forget to tip your waitress.
Anyone?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:23:01 PM by groganb » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2014, 07:46:51 AM »

Hey, since we're partially on the subject of weird PS percussion, I've wondered for decades what the metallic "chik" sound is on the front of and throughout "Caroline No." The one that alternates with the Sparkletts bottle. It kinda sounds like two halves of the top of a metal music stand being clacked together. It's certainly not a tambourine because there are no jingles in the sound.
I will now perform the relevant intro :-)
chik-chik-chik, bubbabubbabubba, chik-chik-chik, bubbabubbabubba, chik-"Where did your long hair go..."
Don't forget to tip your waitress.
Anyone?

I've always thought it was a tambourine being struck with a woodblock (or vice-versa). The tambourine can be held and struck in a certain way as to not rattle. But I'll listen again...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx