gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 06:05:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wow...Extreme denial regarding Wrecking Crew replacing Beach Boys  (Read 32813 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »

Lineup on That's Not Me:

Basic Track:

Brian on Organ
Carl on Guitar
Dennis on Drums
Ron on Tambourine

Overdubs:

Carl on 12-string guitar
Probably Brian on Dano bass, or maybe Fender
Someone on clicky clack percussion

Then they just overdubbed that same thing again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »

Thank you Smiley
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2013, 02:13:12 PM »

When was the last time Brian used any of the wrecking crew?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »

The drum intro to "Our Car Club" sounds like low-tuned timbales to me...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »

When was the last time Brian used any of the wrecking crew?

I think for Everything I Need -- I know Blaine and Kaye, at least, played on the basic track. That was released in 97, but I think recorded in 96.

I have a *very* vague memory of something from last decade, as well, some iTunes or Best Buy only bonus track thing, but I may well be imagining that. But they're definitely on Everything I Need.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2013, 03:00:37 PM »

"Everything I Need" is all that springs to mind with me as well. Certainly not on any of the 21st century solo stuff.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2013, 03:15:16 PM »

"Everything I Need" is all that springs to mind with me as well. Certainly not on any of the 21st century solo stuff.
I love the demo of that song!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2013, 03:40:36 PM »

Being a drummer: to my ears, it's someone playing the drum-kit on I Get Around while someone else plays brushes on a snare..... or timbale, but it cuts like a snare.... On Fun Fun Fun, I only hear one guy on a drum-kit unless Brian had Hal just do extra fills n such, but it still sounds like one guy, with someone else doing tambourine.

timbales sound kind of like a snare with the snares dropped off.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »

Both of the 'toms' he has in this photo are timbales (note the smaller size).

I'm not an expert on drums, but the 'concert' toms as you described would basically make them slightly longer timbales! Using timbales may have just been just an easier way to get a brighter, punchier tom sound.

That's about all it is, right? The drummers' terminology gives me a headache, too many similar items and pieces of equipment with different names.  Cheesy   There is no easy way to pin down any given setup of Hal's, too many variables. Do you hear timbales on Hal's more famous drum grooves and fills? That's what makes that photo stand out, unless I'm not tuned in I hear mostly standard toms on most of Hal's better-known grooves.

Check out Hal's drum set from the 70's, that massive one. Wild. His blue kit from the 60's is in the Musicians' Hall Of Fame, alongside Lyle Ritz's bass and other iconic gear.

"Windy" by the Association comes to mind

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2013, 03:55:43 PM »

Lineup on That's Not Me:

Basic Track:

Brian on Organ
Carl on Guitar
Dennis on Drums
Ron on Tambourine

Overdubs:

Carl on 12-string guitar

That's some nice guitar work by Carl.  Is it 12 string? And does it use any effects? It has that twang to it.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2013, 04:19:05 PM »

Check out Hal's drum set from the 70's, that massive one. Wild. His blue kit from the 60's is in the Musicians' Hall Of Fame, alongside Lyle Ritz's bass and other iconic gear.

I hope those weren't too damaged in the flood. I know some things were lost, not sure exactly what.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2013, 04:27:15 PM »

I hope those weren't too damaged in the flood. I know some things were lost, not sure exactly what.
I hope a flood like that never happens again.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »

Lineup on That's Not Me:

Basic Track:

Brian on Organ
Carl on Guitar
Dennis on Drums
Ron on Tambourine

Overdubs:

Carl on 12-string guitar

That's some nice guitar work by Carl.  Is it 12 string? And does it use any effects? It has that twang to it.

Yes, it is categorically 12-string.  The effect is the chorusing of the two overdubs.

Well, I should qualify.  The 12-string work is the overdub fill type of stuff.  The basic track sounds to me like it could be Carl's Jag or even a Strat.  No effects on that, although there are a couple of times it does sound a little weird, almost like there ARE two guitars playing.

I've bugged various people for years to ask what happened to the complete session tape for That's Not Me.  The UM tapes do not have the whole session, but the PS Box has the excerpt, so I don't know why the bootleggers didn't have access to it.  That session tape would be a real joy to hear, in toto.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:19:04 PM by aeijtzsche » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:53 PM »

*Koff*Tommy Morgan on "Goin' Home".*Koff*
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2013, 08:43:47 PM »

That's interesting to mention, I hope nothing like Hal's kit or Lyle's bass or any of those other pieces of history were damaged or lost - Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard any status report on that particular building and collection but I'll try to find some info.

I have a friend in Nashville who I called after the flooding, and he said he was lucky that no water at all reached his home or did damage, yet something like a block or so away was underwater. Luck of the draw.

More unlucky were the dozens of musicians who had the majority of their stage and studio gear, not to mention their collections, in various storage or rehearsal spaces - safe places, supposedly - that got destroyed by the water and mud. Those guitars and amps and whatnot are just things, ultimately, but to lose so many classic instruments in one flood was terrible.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »

Being a drummer: to my ears, it's someone playing the drum-kit on I Get Around while someone else plays brushes on a snare..... or timbale, but it cuts like a snare.... On Fun Fun Fun, I only hear one guy on a drum-kit unless Brian had Hal just do extra fills n such, but it still sounds like one guy, with someone else doing tambourine.

I agree with you on IGA - and it's not even a standard drum kit, really, more like the Brian kit where no cymbals were allowed! I always dug that about Brian's productions - the overall lack of washy and splashy cymbals which allowed so much more to cut through in the overall mix.

On IGA, there are brushes playing a steady stream of 16th notes, and if you listen really close the 16th note groove actually falls in and out of time occasionally. I agree with your ears, and I don't immediately hear that as a timbale. I hear it more as a snare or a snare-like sound from a tom or timbale. The drum "kit" is a simple surfer-stomp four beat kick pattern with minimal snare, then the fills. Nothing else. 3 drums in total, basically. I love it - the guitars and bass were the driving rhythmic force.

If you want timbale, listen to Tito Puente or "The Glamorous Life" by Sheila E - Those are timbales the way timbales most often resonate. I didn't get that kind of tight-head resonance from the IGA track. Not to say it wasn't Hal using brushes on timbale, but it's not characteristic enough to peg it down as easily.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2013, 09:08:39 PM »

The drums on Fun Fun Fun is an even tougher call from the mono mix - I agree that it sounds more like one man playing, and I don't hear timbales at all. If it is Dennis and Hal on separate kits, it sounds like they were playing so close together as to be indistinguishable from one another, until the fills, which I also agree that the more complex ones sound more like Hal's usual bag of fills that he used on other sessions.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2013, 10:28:55 PM »

The Fun x 3 instrumental inserts reveal that someone (most likely Dennis) was drumming live as the organ solo was being recorded.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2013, 10:34:31 PM »

*Koff*Tommy Morgan on "Goin' Home".*Koff*

... except for that one, of course.  Roll Eyes

I'd see the doctor about that cough if I were you - sounds bad.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:35:36 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2013, 10:37:06 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:56:41 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2013, 10:38:05 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:56:56 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2013, 10:44:34 PM »

For the record, I don't think they're timbales (but can't say for sure), as I said listen to Tito Puente records and those are timbales.

I played them back in high school, haven't since, and don't currently own a set.

For my money, drop the snares off a 100 dollar no-name snare drum, do the 16th note thing with brushes, say they're recorded with this limited edition set of Latin Percussion "Tito Puente" signature timbales, and no one would know the difference... Grin

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2013, 11:12:58 PM »

This is Hal's actual "Monster" kit, which Ludwig later sold a variation of this as the "Octoplus" in the 70's. It's his basic Ludwig blue sparkle kit with the racks of toms wheeled in. The rack of toms was unique to Hal's kit at the time, was rigged up specifically for him, and was put on rolling stands normally used for studio lights to make them easier to set up in the studios. He had several of these rigs. Thanks to Jon Cohan for this.

The root of this kind of setup was Hal's using timbales for fills and liking the sound/resonance.

I post this to clarify because I'm not saying Hal *did not* use timbales on those sessions mentioned earlier in the thread, obviously timbales of some kind as tom-toms did become part of his signature sound, but rather I'm saying I personally don't hear them on those tracks as being very distinct or easy to pick out as timbales versus a standard drum.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:14:03 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2013, 11:13:16 PM »

Anyone here actually own a timbale ? Record some 16th notes on timbale with brushes please. Let's hear that solo'd timbale part and then we can decide if it's legit.

I have a set of '60s Ludwig timbales. they just sound like punchy, bright toms or a slightly lower snare w/ the rattles lowered off. i can hear 'em on 'i get around', 'fun fun fun' and 'here today', among others (I think, but it's tough to know in these dense mixes).

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2013, 11:23:49 PM »

I don't get why I get around would require a timbale....Why not just turn the snare thing off ? Why would  they need a timbale, specifically? Did Brian request timbales, or did hal just have his roadie always leave him his timbales. I think these "timbales" on IGA/FFF  are the new "mandolins" on WIBN.

I'm only kidding.  Cheesy

We are getting too timable-centric.Angry

With Brian, I think it was all about the textures. The harpsichord & timbales together give a unique sound, sort of like a driving delicacy.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx