gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:39:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: (Lennon-McCartney) interpretations  (Read 4953 times)
SunBurn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »

There is an incredible range of Lennon-McCartney interpretations out there by the likes of Booker T. and the MG’s, Otis Redding, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Count Basie, Buddy Rich, Quincy Jones, Vince Guaraldi, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, The Breeders, R. Stevie Moore, Harry Nilsson, Duane Allman, Vassar Clements, Johnny Cash, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops, 101 Strings, The Carpenters, Barbra Streisand, Peter Sellers, Bill Cosby, William Shatner and many, many more. I put together a playlist on Spotify that can be accessed in the Spotify app by typing (Lennon-McCartney) -- don’t forget the parentheses -- in the search field. It goes all the way from “Love Me Do” to “Her Majesty”. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this stuff. What is your favorite Beatles cover? Mine might be Area Code 615's "Lady Madonna", but Spotify doesn't have it, so I had to "settle" for Dave Edmunds and Junior Parker.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »

Elvis' Lady Mad-onna

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »

Pretty standard but I do love Stevie Wonder's We Can Work It Out.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 08:51:28 AM »

"Norwegian Wood" - Jan & Dean
"Little Sister/Get Back" - Elvis Presley

Not to derail the thread, but John Wilkinson sadly just passed away.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »

Not exactly my all-time favorites, necessarily, but check (Spotify or iTunes) for the Minnesota Beatle Project, Vol. 1-4. Some of the great talent from my home state doing what in some cases are amazing renditions. Many styles represented, from faithful recreations to bluegrass to electronic, etc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »

I have several favorites I can't recall just now, but I really like The Mamas and the Papas' version of "I Call Your Name"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_WlLYBfL-k

and also the Singers Unlimited's cover of "The Fool on the Hill":  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_NNeeTSRvY

(sorry that second video is so lame)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:49:59 PM by SufferingFools » Logged

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »

Not what this thread was addressing, but interesting for participants anyway: I was perusing a book of UK Beatles press clippings, and came across a McCartney quote from 1968 - paraphrased, he was addressing the critics who slagged off their music and said it wouldn't be worthwhile in years to come. McCartney predicted that in 50 years time, people would be analysing and critiquing Lennon-McCartney compositions as important contributions to music....granted, it's only been around 45 years since that interview, but it looks like he was right!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 05:05:08 PM »

The thread was addressing:

There is an incredible range of Lennon-McCartney interpretations out there ... What is your favorite Beatles cover?

But yes, McCartney was correct. It's amazing how "important" pop music has become: I doubt anyone in the '50s and into the '60s would have believed rock 'n' roll would matter in any serious sense to adults. Of course the Boomers grew up, and just kept it. And the money got bigger, of course, which makes everything matter.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »

People should pick up the Black America Sings The Beatles album on Ace Records, a fine, fine thing. Fats Domino, Mary Wells, Al Green and beyond.

Besides that, everyone needs to hear Harry Nilsson singing Blackbird, an incredible performance.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:27:55 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:10:54 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 12:20:48 AM »

Besides that, everyone needs to hear Harry Nilsson singing Blackbird, an incredible performance.
Billy Preston's Blackbird is pretty great. I haven't heard Harry's version.

I like Billy's version,too. Haven't heard Nilsson's. I really like Jose Feliciano's versions of In My Life, And I Love Her, and Here, There and Everywhere.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 01:03:52 PM »

Isn't called rendition?

Interpretation sounds like something to do with the lyrics.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »

Isn't called rendition?

No.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 03:26:57 PM »

I really enjoyed Fiona Apple's version if Across the Universe
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »

Isn't called rendition?

No.

ren·di·tion  [ren-dish-uh n]  Show IPA
noun
the act of rendering.
a translation.
an interpretation, as of a role or a piece of music.

in·ter·pre·ta·tion  [in-tur-pri-tey-shuh n]  Show IPA
noun
the act of interpreting; elucidation; explication: This writer's work demands interpretation.
an explanation of the meaning of another's artistic or creative work; an elucidation: an interpretation of a poem.
a conception of another's behavior: a charitable interpretation of his tactlessness.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 09:03:29 AM »

Isn't called rendition?

No.

ren·di·tion  [ren-dish-uh n]  Show IPA
noun
the act of rendering.
a translation.
an interpretation, as of a role or a piece of music.

in·ter·pre·ta·tion  [in-tur-pri-tey-shuh n]  Show IPA
noun
the act of interpreting; elucidation; explication: This writer's work demands interpretation.
an explanation of the meaning of another's artistic or creative work; an elucidation: an interpretation of a poem.
a conception of another's behavior: a charitable interpretation of his tactlessness.

Right. So in other words, interpretation is a perfectly legitimate choice.
SunBurn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 06:15:02 PM »

Thanks for all these thoughtful replies everyone!

Several of the interpretations (or renditions, if you will) that you guys have mentioned are in my Spotify playlist, and I will seek out the others. The Minnesota project yielded a wonderful reading of “Golden Slumbers” by Communist Daughter as well as a high school marching band “She Loves You” that’s aces. As for “Black America”, I totally concur. Fats Domino absolutely cooks on “Everybody’s Got to Hide Except Me and My Monkey” and Ramsey Lewis did a fantastic album of White Album covers called “Mother Nature’s Son” (his “Cry Baby Cry” is phenomenal). Otis Redding takes “Day Tripper” in a great direction. The Supremes are very convincing on “You Can’t Do That” and “Come Together”, and Ella Fitzgerald’s “Money Can’t Buy Me Love” easily beats the original imo.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 06:36:48 PM »

I hope it's not too late to add another one...actually two. Frank Sinatra did two great versions of "Something". One was a swinging version released as a single in 1970, and the other was a slower, Don Costa-arranged version for 1980's Trilogy album.
SunBurn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »

I hope it's not too late to add another one...actually two. Frank Sinatra did two great versions of "Something". One was a swinging version released as a single in 1970, and the other was a slower, Don Costa-arranged version for 1980's Trilogy album.
Yeah, I wish Frank had done a L-M tune as well, since I confined myself to compiling a Lennon-McCartney set.

A few other great things I found: Chet Atkins "Picks on the Beatles" album, Joshua Rifkin's "The Baroque Beatles Book", The Swingle Singers a cappella album "A Tribute to the Beatles", Johnny Cash's moving rendition of "In My Life", Junior Parker's ultracool "Tomorrow Never Knows"...and of course, I've always dug The Beach Boys' "Tell Me Why".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »

Yeah, I wish Frank had done a L-M tune as well, since I confined myself to compiling a Lennon-McCartney set.

Frank did a pretty good version of "Yesterday" for his 1969 album, My Way.
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 06:47:29 AM »

I really like the Sparks version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRJn2YQN1o

In my opinion it dances on a very interesting line between heartfelt tribute and piss-take. LOL I also can't think of any other Sparks songs done in the style they do "I Want To Hold Your Hand". I mean, considering what era of their career Sparks was in when they recorded that cover you'd probably think "Oh! Glam rock Beatles cover. Alright then." but not at all.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 11:31:54 PM »

Noooooobody's going to back me on this one, but a few years ago there was a young Black girl on American Idol (don't remember her name) she was about 15 or so.  She sang country songs.  Anyways, one week, she sang "I wanna hold your hand" in a really sweet young way, and it was very, very, very good.  I think she really captured the spirit of the original song, so that would probably be my favorite cover version of a Beatles song to be honest. 

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »

I heard both of those!  They played both of them on Simply Sinatra one day and I caught them.  What is there to say?   It's Frank Sinatra, of course they were both great. 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 03:38:15 AM »

I like Billy's version,too. Haven't heard Nilsson's. I really like Jose Feliciano's versions of In My Life, And I Love Her, and Here, There and Everywhere.

So I went to find it on youtube and turns out I uploaded it last year! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T8JJzjBF3I

Some more info http://fortheloveofharry.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/blackbird-demo-1970.html
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:47:44 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx