gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:09:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: George "Shadow" Morton, 1940-2013  (Read 994 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2013, 06:43:32 AM »

Mary Weiss and Janis Ian announced a few minutes ago on Facebook that George "Shadow" Morton died yesterday. He produced all those incredible Shangri-Las records (and Janis's "Society's Child," the early Vanilla Fudge records, the second New York Dolls album, etc) - and co-wrote many Shangri-Las classics.

Though of course Brian would shake his head at such nonsense, I have always thought that Shadow was a more innovative and impressive producer than Phil Spector. His best records have an emotional force that Phil's just don't have for me.

And that's called...

RIP....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:46:58 AM by rn57 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:59:27 AM »

This sucks. The man produced such incredible, death-defying records with The Shangri-Las, and not just Leader Of The Pack

I mean,

He Cried
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-V47lupTKE

Past, Present, And Future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3hCZiTNric

The Train From Kansas City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP0aRVlWEuo

Could probably post the rest of them, tbh.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 11:10:03 AM »

The way the drums come up, harbingers of doom, in the last verse of "Train From Kansas City"....

and the way the acoustic guitar chord crashes down at the end of "raise my glistening wings and fly" in "Society's Child," bringing in those last lines mixing despair and wistfulness...

are just two examples that display Shadow Morton's genius. He was always ready to credit Artie Butler, who did many of his arrangements, and engineer Brooks Arthur for their essential contributions - not to mention his singers and musicians and the supportive people at Red Bird Records. But in the last analysis, these records and songs emerged from his vision.

Indeed he may be more influential, right now, than Spector. Amy Winehouse's Back In Black would be just the tip of the iceberg. So many look to the NY Dolls or Blondie or the Ramones for inspiration, and because Shadow produced the Dolls, people knew of his impact on that group, but I think it took a while for people to realize how deeply he influenced the latter two groups.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx