gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:03:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark L discusses remixing BBs catalogue 'in the box'  (Read 6548 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:27:08 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PveMm1yqo54&feature=youtu.be

Pretty interesting video (Mark confirms that we will see MIC some time this year Grin, not that I have had many doubts  Wink).

But what they really gotta do is make those Pro Tools session files that were transferred from the original 8 track available  Afro

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 07:42:55 AM »

Sounds amazing!

BTW: I'd pay $100 per album for multitracks, I would.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 07:48:35 AM »

Best new news in a while, I think.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 08:11:36 AM »

Good News!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:03:59 AM »

Really enjoyed this clip, many thanks indeed for the link. Every sense in my body says this box can't come soon enough… only my bank account disagrees!

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »

Good news.

And no pitch for cash to fund it! LOL
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:32:04 AM »

If that's the final product for "Darlin'" at the end, it's going to sound great!   Wow - sounds so full, like Linett says.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »

Is it not the mix that has already appeared on 50 big ones?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Paulos
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 09:45:29 AM »

Thanks for posting, very cool. Now wondering when this was filmed, thinking probably tail end of last year?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »

Is it not the mix that has already appeared on 50 big ones?

I just did an A-B comparison and in the video Carl's lead is much more prominant in the mix. Could be one of Linett's mixes. We'll probably get the 2012 stereo version in the MIC box (if it's included).

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »

Since Mark has said there are too many tracks from Wild Honey that can't be mixed into stereo - which is Why it wasn't released with the other mono/stereo remasters - I expect the six or seven tracks that can be mixed to stereo might appear on the box.  Hopefully the Darlin remix will be less compressed and loud than on 50 Big Ones.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »

That would satisfy me!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 02:37:03 PM »

Agree Mikie, what we heard in the clip sounded excellent. Hopes raised…

“We live in divisive times.”
halblaineisgood
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:10:36 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »

Tape dies quickly if not properly kept, and it's much cheaper (bad cheap) nowadays then it was back then

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »

I'm counting the days!!

Thanks so much Mark, this box set is going to be incredible

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 08:11:24 PM »

Hmmmm...I dunno.

When was this video shot?  He talks about working on a box set for 2013, but then it immediately shows the cover to 50 Big Ones.  Why?  Then he proceeds to work on the stereo mix of "Darlin'", which was already released on said compilation.  No specific mention of Made In California; so it is a little unclear if he was referring to that elusive release or the already-released 50 Big Ones

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »

Hmmmm...I dunno.

When was this video shot?  He talks about working on a box set for 2013, but then it immediately shows the cover to 50 Big Ones.  Why?  Then he proceeds to work on the stereo mix of "Darlin'", which was already released on said compilation.  No specific mention of Made In California; so it is a little unclear if he was referring to that elusive release or the already-released 50 Big Ones

I had the the same initial reaction, but later in the video Mark mentions the Smile Sessions getting a grammy nomination. They weren't announced until December 6th of last year, so this must have been done at some point after that.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 09:06:31 PM »

Hmmmm...I dunno.

I had the the same initial reaction, but later in the video Mark mentions the Smile Sessions getting a grammy nomination. They weren't announced until December 6th of last year, so this must have been done at some point after that.

Yeah I suppose...but why was he working on "Darlin'" when it was already released last year?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »

The work on Darlin is probably just a demo using an already mixed track. He's mainly selling stuff.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:11:38 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 09:34:55 PM »

"If we could still get tape that was reliable" What does he mean ? They don't make tape anymore ? New old stock chemically unstable or sumthin ?

There are currently two manufacturers: RMGI in Holland, and ATR in the US.  ATR is very high-output tape, so is not suitable for all purposes, and a lot of users have reported problems with the RMGI tape.

Some NOS works essentially like new in many cases, and some is in very bad, unusable condition. Depends more on tape type than storage conditions, though both are factors. NOS is probably not a viable option for a commercial studio.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:50:10 PM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »

Tape dies quickly if not properly kept, and it's much cheaper (bad cheap) nowadays then it was back then

Not true in either case.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »

Yeah, it's the same tape of Darlin' that he was working on for 50 Big Ones.  The video is recent, but the tape was made earlier last year.  Sounds good though - seems like the vocal is more up front and the overall track a little punchier.  Darlin' is done. Seriously doubt he'd release another version of it other than what's already been released on 50 Big Ones.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:43:51 PM by Mikie » Logged

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 10:28:10 PM »

Carl certainly could sing the f*** out of song, couldn't he?  Man.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx