gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:10:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ida "B" Blackburn Beach Boys Interview 1964  (Read 26913 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2013, 04:04:11 AM »

1) How nervous was Brian in that interview compared to later? His answers are confident but he already has some tics that got much worse later. I don't think there was ever a super-confident Brian in those situations.

2) Could a boy band containing two guys with Brian and Carl's fondness for comfort food be popular today? They are both carrying some poundage.

harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2013, 04:24:56 AM »

This contains a recent photo of Ida B. Blackburn:

http://www.baptistvillage.org/docs/April%20AL%202012%20Newsletter.pdf
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2013, 04:51:32 AM »

She was born 18th August 1929 (source: Ancestry.com) as Ida M Blackburn and she lived in Meeker, OK. This is her:

http://www.mylife.com/ida-blackburn
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2013, 05:30:40 AM »

This contains a recent photo of Ida B. Blackburn:

http://www.baptistvillage.org/docs/April%20AL%202012%20Newsletter.pdf

Wow. Interesting that the article says she's deaf now. I know she's in her 80s, but to be completely deaf... I wonder if it's from being on TV and attending concerts all those years.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2013, 05:42:18 AM »

Can't believe I missed this thread.

What an incredible interview. Just seeing the boys interact in the background is enough to blow your mind.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »

2) Could a boy band containing two guys with Brian and Carl's fondness for comfort food be popular today? They are both carrying some poundage.

Ugh, thank goodness they weren't one of these vacuous, "style over substance" boy bands  Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »

Wow, great stuff! It would be fascinating to hear a more in-depth interview with Brian from that era on his approach to songwriting. But this will do.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2013, 06:59:25 PM »

Wow, great stuff! It would be fascinating to hear a more in-depth interview with Brian from that era on his approach to songwriting. But this will do.

Yes, an in-depth interview from 1964, when he was still bright-eyed and excited for the future. Would have been amazing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2013, 07:12:04 PM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wellpreservedokc/8020152796/in/photostream/

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2013, 02:47:53 AM »

Did Brian take credit for too many J&D hits?

That's what I was thinking.  I mean, he co-wrote a few of them, but Berry and Christian and Altfield also had a big hand in them too!

Yeah that was interesting, he made it sound like he was doing all the writing.  Probably just came out the wrong way, but still. 

The whole thing was awesome to see.  Does anyone else hear "old" Brian while listening to "young" Brian talk?  Obviously you know it's the same guy, but it's so odd to me hearing the same speech patterns and style coming from a young clear voice.

Yes I know exactly what you mean about the young/old voice of Brian, I thought the same.  It's fantastic footage.. they were so young and cute! and very polite and well spoken.  If Brian was 22 Mike was then 23?   He looks a hell of a lot older than that!  That is also the most talkative I've ever seen Al.   They just seemed happy Smiley
halblaineisgood
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2013, 09:17:31 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:20:52 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2013, 10:00:10 PM »

Hal...did somebody drop you on your head when you were little?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2013, 10:24:48 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:21:05 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2013, 03:22:40 AM »

I realized that I have ads for these shows and they show that the Kingston Trio were playing on August 30 1964-one day after the BBs-so it all makes sense now
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2013, 12:35:15 AM »

I realized that I have ads for these shows and they show that the Kingston Trio were playing on August 30 1964-one day after the BBs-so it all makes sense now

That is exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find due to a lack of comprehensive tour dates on a group like the Kingston Trio. It now makes perfect sense why they would be the very next clips on Ida's reel of film, which looked to be from the same time period...now we know it was the next day!

Thanks for that info, it cleared it all up!

Now the question is whether the Boys and the Trio ever met up there, or crossed paths anywhere else on that tour. Al was a big fan, for one, I'm sure they would have tried to meet up.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2013, 03:52:52 AM »

Now the question is whether the Boys and the Trio ever met up there, or crossed paths anywhere else on that tour. Al was a big fan, for one, I'm sure they would have tried to meet up.

I'm not sure but iirc the Badman book mentions Brian and Al attending a Kingston Trio show and were introduced. But I dobn't know when this happened and if at all (it's Badman anyway)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx