gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:10:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ida "B" Blackburn Beach Boys Interview 1964  (Read 26770 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »

Did Brian take credit for too many J&D hits?

That's what I was thinking.  I mean, he co-wrote a few of them, but Berry and Christian and Altfield also had a big hand in them too!

I wonder what that lady had with "Little old lady...". Brian didn't write any of it...

But the guys seem so down to earth and nice. None of them acted like a c*cky as$hole. I kinda like hem.

They may have played Little Old Lady in the set that night. I assumed that was why she kept mentioning it.

Was that song really popular? In my ears it is utterly awful. Was music about grannies considered 'hip'? people really were square back then if they liked stuff like that. No wonder they had a square image from playing tunes like that when they could've played their own material which was usually far better.

The song was a top 3 hit! And to this day it is very famous. And apart from that it's a cool composition and a fantastic arrangement

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 09:13:46 AM »

The "granny who does non-granny things" archetype is something people found far more amusing before the baby boomers got old. Now, it's considered normal for grandparents to still have normal hobbies, but in the 60s the idea of an old lady who  raced people in her car was considered absurd.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 10:03:47 AM »

"The little old lady from Pasadena" was a kind of folk archetype in Southern California in the mid-20th century. Early in the century, many white couples from the Midwest had moved to the region, especially to Pasadena, California. The trend was accelerated by the Dust Bowl, the Great Depression and World War II. Since men tended to die earlier, Pasadena became known for its high percentage of elderly widows. As political columnist and language expert William Safire has noted, the phrase "little old ladies in tennis shoes" was used in the 1960s to refer to social and political conservatives in Southern California.
Part of this lore was that many an elderly man who died in Pasadena would leave his widow with a powerful car that she rarely if ever drove, such as an old Buick Roadmaster, or a 50-some-odd Cadillac, a vintage Ford, an old Packard, Studebaker, DeSoto, or a La Salle. Used car salesmen in California, so the story went, would tell prospective buyers that the previous owner of a vehicle was "a little old lady from Pasadena who only drove it to church on Sundays," thus suggesting the car had little wear. This joke became part of the material of some comedians based in Los Angeles (notably Johnny Carson, who often used it on his frequent trips to tape The Tonight Show in L.A. before settling there permanently), and because of television, the phrase "little old lady from Pasadena" became familiar to a national audience.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2013, 11:10:22 AM »

We have discussed a bunch in the past-in his Goldmine interview in the 1990s Mike was quite honest about his contributions-he sometimes wrote all the lyrics, sometimes just wrote a few lines, sometimes wrote a hook-he did not deny that Brian also wrote lyrics to many of their hits.  By the way-the footage is most surely from August 29 1964-BBs played three shows at Springlake that day than had a 3 day break.  During that break-according to Brad Elliot-they held a secret session to "fix" the concert album.

Ian, they must have really been received well at Springlake in Oklahoma! Two shows the month before in July, then back there in August to do six shows! So on the last day of the month on one of their rest days, they were back home at Western to overdub the songs they recorded live at the beginning of the month in Sacramento:

Fun, Fun, Fun (2x)
I Get Around
Little Old Lady From Pasadena (2x)
Hawaii
Johnny B. Goode (2x)
Honda 55 radio commercial

They were flying all over the place. No wonder Brian got wound up tighter than a twisted rubber band.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »

As for the concert footage, I only recognized (the dancing gestures are similar to Sacramento performance) Fun, Fun, Fun.

At 1:02 they're most likely playing Surfer Girl.  Mike, Carl and Al are all sharing a microphone and the following shot is Dennis playing that beat.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »

That's what I was thinking.  I mean, he co-wrote a few of them, but Berry and Christian and Altfield also had a big hand in them too!

I wonder what that lady had with "Little old lady...". Brian didn't write any of it...

But the guys seem so down to earth and nice. None of them acted like a c*cky as$hole. I kinda like hem.

They may have played Little Old Lady in the set that night. I assumed that was why she kept mentioning it.

True. Didn't even think about that.
Even today you read very often that "The little old Lady..." is a Beach Boys song or that Brian wrote it so I figured the questions had something to do with that

Looking at the footage again, it looks like the very first part of footage showing the boys on stage is during "Little old lady..."

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2013, 02:39:33 PM »

This is really great footage!  Thank you so much for sharing the link.  I wonder why the footage of the Kingston Trio was attached to the Beach Boys stuff.  We can date the Beach Boys footage, but certainly not the KT footage.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »

Mikie-one of the reasons I got interested in doing a concert book was that I felt the Badman book's omission of so many shows-sort of skewed the story of the group.  When you see all the listings I found at AGD's site-Brian's problems make more sense!! The gaps in the Badman book make it look like Brian had plenty of time off-but as you can see-1964 was actually almost non stop activity-even on days off they were busy.  And-even though we haven't uncovered that much footage-you can be certain that the BBs taped these sort of interviews backstage at every show-for newspaper reporters, DJs and the occasional film crew-so even the down time wasn't down time.  Take a look at all the publicity photos too!!! Days off were also taken up with posing for photos-signing autographs, record signings!!!! 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »

Yeah that was interesting, he made it sound like he was doing all the writing.  Probably just came out the wrong way, but still. 

The whole thing was awesome to see.  Does anyone else hear "old" Brian while listening to "young" Brian talk?  Obviously you know it's the same guy, but it's so odd to me hearing the same speech patterns and style coming from a young clear voice.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2013, 10:08:15 PM »

Gee, with all this important discussion of J&D going on, I haven't seen any comments on the cool 1978 video Lowbacca posted in the Youtube thread

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »

I haven't found anything yet as far as a Kingston Trio 60's tour date listing, nothing near as complete as Andrew's or Eric's setlist archive, for sure! I was trying to peg the timing of the footage - obviously it's Oklahoma as "Ida B" was a local TV personality and wouldn't have traveled outside to do stories on folk singers, I would assume.

Like I said in about the third/fourth post of this thread, Springlake Amusement Park, Oklahoma City, August 28th or 29th. Jeez, why do I bother if no-one bothers to read it ?

I was looking for tour dates for The Kingston Trio, trying to pin down a possible date when they might have been in Oklahoma and when the silent footage of them walking with Ida might have been shot. It was curious that it immediately followed the Beach Boys footage on her compilation reel, and since Al if not the whole band were fans of the Kingston Trio, I wondered if they had crossed paths on the road.

And I was also throwing a compliment to you and Eric and all the other BB's historians who maintain such good databases of information so we can check and clarify things like tour dates with only a few clicks. When looking for information on the Trio, I realized just how much is available on the BB's and how easy it is to find compared to other groups and websites devoted to them, hence the compliment.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »

The Beach Boys online community (aside from the tumblr contingent which is all about how cute Brian looks in white jeans, etc)  is definitely a lot more information-based than other "oldies" bands. The Kingston Trio forum I used to post at,  the John Denver forum I used to post at, etc, is more just the aging fans interacting with each other than any real discussion of the music.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »

Finally got around to watching the guys and Ida this morning. Tickled that it took Carl to remind Brian to plug When I Grow Up which had come out that week. Even more tickled at Denny's Eddie Haskell line and his way of ogling her while pretending to be "thoughtful." Especially tickled by Mike's expression when she makes him show the ring. Lots of great, great moments in this. I'm glad her son put this up.

Where Mike's lost sax goes - Jon Stebbins said someplace else on this board that he was still playing one into '65 so I guess he got another one after this interview. As for the lost one - wonder if it'll ever turn up on eBay...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:36:55 AM by rn57 » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2013, 11:40:45 AM »

Where Mike's lost sax goes - Jon Stebbins said someplace else on this board that he was still playing one into '65 so I guess he got another one after this interview. As for the lost one - wonder if it'll ever turn up on eBay...

My guess:  whoever took it was trying to do the rest of the world a favor, and probably stomped it flat and threw it in the trash.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »

My guess:  whoever took it was trying to do the rest of the world a favor, and probably stomped it flat and threw it in the trash.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2013, 11:57:55 AM »

That's what I was thinking.  I mean, he co-wrote a few of them, but Berry and Christian and Altfield also had a big hand in them too!

Yeah that was interesting, he made it sound like he was doing all the writing.  Probably just came out the wrong way, but still.

The interview started off that way, like Ida and Brian were talking about his writing beforehand. The average Joe off the street would think that Brian was writing for the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean. But he did quickly correct Ida and give credit to Jan and Dean when she brought up "Little Old Lady" in her list of songs. I think Murry taught them all to be humble and to not let it go to their heads, and that's the way they came off in early interviews with the press and variety program hosts in general. I don't really see any c*ckiness in any of the '64/65 TV/radio interviews.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:02:56 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »

Correct. And this interview was in August of '64, right after they recorded "Little Old Lady" in Sacramento, so Brian (or Ida) probably thought he contributed to the song in some way. In fact, there's only two songs where Brian and Jan shared a 50/50 writing credit - "Surf City" and "Gonna Hustle You." And after "Surf City" in '63, Brian was never a primary writer for Jan & Dean. His name came last on his other contributions to Jan & Dean songs, which was mainly chords and melody and harmony. But I think Brian sang background on a couple of them, didn't he?

Compositions co-written by Jan & Brian:

Surf City
She's My Summer Girl
Gonna Hustle You (Get A Chance With You)
Drag City
Surf Route 101
Dead Man's Curve
The New Girl In School
Ride the Wild Surf
Surfin' Wild
Move Out Little Mustang
Sidewalk Surfin'

So.........did Brian take too much credit for Jan & Dean songs in this '64 interview?

Nice avatar, Rocker!

I guess from your list Mikie if you define "hits" as Top Forty then he was right with "several" and nearly right with "all". I guess from Surf City through Sidewalk Surfin' [I think that is the period] there were 9 singles and 8 would qualify as hits. Brian did not have a hand in Honolulu Lulu at #10 and Little Old Lady at #3 which he clarified and disclaimed credit for specifically. Seven out of eight is nearly all.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »

Did I say that? Maybe I can start an argument with myself. I think Ian's (and my) upcoming BB's In Concert book explains that Mike blamed tour manager Ron Swallow for losing his sax in '64, and even though Ron didn't think that was exactly true...he was more than happy to take the blame for ending Mike's sax career. So this footage kind of reinforces that the sax went away in August of '64, and that sounds about right to me...today.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »

At least he got another sax just in time to pretend to play it in the Kokomo video.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »

At least he got another sax just in time to pretend to play it in the Kokomo video.
Right, for the completists, there is plenty of evidence of Mike using the sax as an occasional "prop" in the '80's and '90's, and even honking out the two note solo on Shut Down. But I think the sax was a constant from early '62 until summer '64 at which point it disappeared for a decade or two.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »

Grin

I guess if Mike got deprived of sax for too long, he could get testy.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2013, 01:23:42 PM »

I found this by accident, thought it was pretty funny. Mike 'Sax' Love (how that sounds..) reincarnated:

Cool Guy
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »

I found this by accident, thought it was pretty funny. Mike 'Sax' Love (how that sounds..) reincarnated:

Cool Guy

It looks like he's trying to play both the "Kokomo" solo and the "Shut Down" solo at the same time!  LOL

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »

Correct. And this interview was in August of '64, right after they recorded "Little Old Lady" in Sacramento, so Brian (or Ida) probably thought he contributed to the song in some way. In fact, there's only two songs where Brian and Jan shared a 50/50 writing credit - "Surf City" and "Gonna Hustle You." And after "Surf City" in '63, Brian was never a primary writer for Jan & Dean. His name came last on his other contributions to Jan & Dean songs, which was mainly chords and melody and harmony. But I think Brian sang background on a couple of them, didn't he?

Compositions co-written by Jan & Brian:

Surf City
She's My Summer Girl
Gonna Hustle You (Get A Chance With You)
Drag City
Surf Route 101
Dead Man's Curve
The New Girl In School
Ride the Wild Surf
Surfin' Wild
Move Out Little Mustang
Sidewalk Surfin'

So.........did Brian take too much credit for Jan & Dean songs in this '64 interview?

Nice avatar, Rocker!

I guess from your list Mikie if you define "hits" as Top Forty then he was right with "several" and nearly right with "all". I guess from Surf City through Sidewalk Surfin' [I think that is the period] there were 9 singles and 8 would qualify as hits. Brian did not have a hand in Honolulu Lulu at #10 and Little Old Lady at #3 which he clarified and disclaimed credit for specifically. Seven out of eight is nearly all.

Right arm, Cam.   Can't find any argument there.  Brian was being an honest engine.  I wonder if Murry was keeping track of Brian's credits (even after he gave him hell for it).  Maybe Murry only kept track of the Sea of Tunes stuff.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:02:24 PM by Mikie » Logged

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2013, 02:28:16 PM »

Right, for the completists, there is plenty of evidence of Mike using the sax as an occasional "prop" in the '80's and '90's, and even honking out the two note solo on Shut Down. But I think the sax was a constant from early '62 until summer '64 at which point it disappeared for a decade or two.

Mike's two-note Shut Down solo became a constant up into the mid-90s indeed. I suppose he stopped doing it when the M&B era began. The routine was exquisite: Bruce would hold the mic during the solo. Then Mike would toss the instrument and one of the roadies would catch it as the singer progressed into the song's last verse. Particularly appalling was the sight of the sax falling in the sand at a NJ show when the roadie failed to catch it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx