gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:40:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ida "B" Blackburn Beach Boys Interview 1964  (Read 26954 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »

Did Brian take credit for too many J&D hits?

That's what I was thinking.  I mean, he co-wrote a few of them, but Berry and Christian and Altfield also had a big hand in them too!

I wonder what that lady had with "Little old lady...". Brian didn't write any of it...

But the guys seem so down to earth and nice. None of them acted like a cocky as$hole. I kinda like hem.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »

Some reminiscing on the July 9th 1964 show and:  

http://newsok.com/article/1937770

I guess that explains how Brian could supposedly want to do the right thing finally after 3 decades but Mike had to sue for it to happen.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »

That's what I was thinking.  I mean, he co-wrote a few of them, but Berry and Christian and Altfield also had a big hand in them too!

I wonder what that lady had with "Little old lady...". Brian didn't write any of it...

But the guys seem so down to earth and nice. None of them acted like a c*cky as$hole. I kinda like hem.

They may have played Little Old Lady in the set that night. I assumed that was why she kept mentioning it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 11:37:27 AM »

But the guys seem so down to earth and nice. None of them acted like a c*cky as$hole. I kinda like hem.

They may have played Little Old Lady in the set that night. I assumed that was why she kept mentioning it.

True. Didn't even think about that.
Even today you read very often that "The little old Lady..." is a Beach Boys song or that Brian wrote it so I figured the questions had something to do with that

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »

Correct. And this interview was in August of '64, right after they recorded "Little Old Lady" in Sacramento, so Brian (or Ida) probably thought he contributed to the song in some way. In fact, there's only two songs where Brian and Jan shared a 50/50 writing credit - "Surf City" and "Gonna Hustle You." And after "Surf City" in '63, Brian was never a primary writer for Jan & Dean. His name came last on his other contributions to Jan & Dean songs, which was mainly chords and melody and harmony. But I think Brian sang background on a couple of them, didn't he?

Compositions co-written by Jan & Brian:

Surf City
She's My Summer Girl
Gonna Hustle You (Get A Chance With You)
Drag City
Surf Route 101
Dead Man's Curve
The New Girl In School
Ride the Wild Surf
Surfin' Wild
Move Out Little Mustang
Sidewalk Surfin'

So.........did Brian take too much credit for Jan & Dean songs in this '64 interview?

Nice avatar, Rocker!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 11:52:13 AM »

Correct. And this interview was in August of '64, right after they recorded "Little Old Lady" in Sacramento, so Brian (or Ida) probably thought he contributed to the song in some way. In fact, there's only two songs where Brian and Jan shared a 50/50 writing credit - "Surf City" and "Gonna Hustle You." And after "Surf City" in '63, Brian was never a primary writer for Jan & Dean. His name came last on his other contributions to Jan & Dean songs, which was mainly chords and melody and harmony. But I think Brian sang background on a couple of them, didn't he?

Surf City
She's My Summer Girl
Drag City
Surf Route 101
Dead Man's Curve
The New Girl In School
Ride the wild surf
Surfin' Wild
Move Out Little Mustang
Sidewalk Surfin'

So.........did Brian take too much credit for Jan & Dean songs in this '64 interview?

I'd have to look which records were out at that point but generally speaking, you mentioned some of their biggest hits, in some cases even the b-side. So I guess he was not wrong. I think he took too much credit regarding lyrics, though.

Nice avatar, Rocker!

Thank. Credit goes to Brian looking Shady who made it.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »

Shady made that avatar? Damn! I knew he was good for somethin'!  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 12:07:08 PM »

Fantastic!! Thanks DJole for posting this, and Craig for the pix in the other thread. (And thanks to those of you who responded to my earlier query.)

2013 has been a cornucopia so far!

So... I wonder if Dennis did her?  LOL As someone else mentioned, she seemed to warm up to Mike a bit more. At the end of the clip with him, he says something like "how about we come back this winter?" And then the sound cuts out, then back in again, and she kind of laughs and says "you'll have to cut that out." I wonder what he said!

Oh, and Mike lost his sax along the way... I don't think he ever did find it again did he?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:12:31 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 01:27:53 PM »

Oh, and Mike lost his sax along the way... I don't think he ever did find it again did he?

But, with that comment by Mike, even as far back as 1964 did weird things come out of Beach Boys' interviews. So, Mike lost his sax and that meant they could no longer have a sax part for the live songs? I guess they never thought about carrying along a backup sax, or God forbid, stopping at a music store and buying a new one, or renting one, or borrowing money from Al's mom to get another one, or anything!!!!!!!! OK, Mike lost his sax, no more live sax. Only in the world of The Beach Boys...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:29:28 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »

Brian is beautiful.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »

But, with that comment by Mike, even as far back as 1964 did weird things come out of Beach Boys' interviews. So, Mike lost his sax and that meant they could no longer have a sax part for the live songs? I guess they never thought about carrying along a backup sax, or God forbid, stopping at a music store and buying a new one, or renting one, or borrowing money from Al's mom to get another one, or anything!!!!!!!! OK, Mike lost his sax, no more live sax. Only in the world of The Beach Boys...

I heard Dr. Evil stole Mike's sex...

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:49:36 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »

I heard Dr. Evil stole Mike's sex...

If only!  Unfortunately for the world it was only his Sax

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »

I haven't found anything yet as far as a Kingston Trio 60's tour date listing, nothing near as complete as Andrew's or Eric's setlist archive, for sure! I was trying to peg the timing of the footage - obviously it's Oklahoma as "Ida B" was a local TV personality and wouldn't have traveled outside to do stories on folk singers, I would assume.

Like I said in about the third/fourth post of this thread, Springlake Amusement Park, Oklahoma City, August 28th or 29th. Jeez, why do I bother if no-one bothers to read it ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »

I haven't found anything yet as far as a Kingston Trio 60's tour date listing, nothing near as complete as Andrew's or Eric's setlist archive, for sure! I was trying to peg the timing of the footage - obviously it's Oklahoma as "Ida B" was a local TV personality and wouldn't have traveled outside to do stories on folk singers, I would assume.

Like I said in about the third/fourth post of this thread, Springlake Amusement Park, Oklahoma City, August 28th or 29th. Jeez, why do I bother if no-one bothers to read it ?

Uhhh, reading for comprehension would allow one to see the reference was to a Kingston Trio date!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 07:34:15 PM »

Wow, great footage!
Brian does correct Ida when she mentions Little Old Lady as one of the BB hits. He says, "That's Jan and Dean." So he doesn't claim credit for that one.
Interesting, though, how when Ida asks whether the music or lyrics come first, he says, "The music comes first, then I write the lyrics." That's taking a bit too much credit.
No sense at all here that Brian is about to start having problems. He seems slightly shy, that's all-- but really no more quiet than any of the others.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »

Interesting, though, how when Ida asks whether the music or lyrics come first, he says, "The music comes first, then I write the lyrics." That's taking a bit too much credit.

Well, he did write quite a bit of lyrics on his own and without Mike, if that's what you're referring to.....

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:19 PM »

What a fascinating video! Great find, thanks for sharing!

Watch out for snakes!
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »

According to this site:

http://www.okcrotary.com/portals/0/programs/RotNews_20-09.pdf

Ida Blackburn's son, Bob, is Executive Director of the Oklahoma Historical Society, the source of this fascinating footage.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »

Surf City
She's My Summer Girl
Drag City
Surf Route 101
Dead Man's Curve
The New Girl In School
Ride the Wild Surf
Surfin' Wild
Move Out Little Mustang
Sidewalk Surfin'

Nice avatar, Rocker!
Brian sings the co-lead with Jan on both Ride the wild Surf and Surf City. He and Jan sing the exact same parts. There is a session of RTWS out there that demonstrates this, and Dean always said he could hear more Brian than Jan on Surf City. I doubt he sang any backing vocals since The Matadors and, later, Sloan&Barry covered that area. Finally, the credits on J&D records are not an indication of who wrote what necessarily. The Macpharland books cover all this in exquisite detail.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »

I didn't pull the J & D credits above out of my butt (or off the records). I got them from a very reliable source. I also have Steve McParland's books and trust his instincts and knowledge.

But.

Per Mark A. Moore, whom I also trust with his vast J&D research and knowledge:

For the backing vocals on "Surf City," Jan brought in a trio consisting of Tony Minichiello, Manuel Sanchez, and Vic Diaz. In the absence of Dean Torrence (who did participate on backing vocals), the prominent falsetto parts on "Surf City" were handled by Tony Minichiello. The subtle falsetto in the line, "Surf City, here we come," was sung by Brian Wilson. Dean wasn't always around. So when listening to any of the "group" cuts involving Minichiello -- ranging from The Gents, to The Dories, to The Matadors -- the falsetto heard on "Surf City" is easily recognized. 

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2013, 02:46:36 AM »

I didn't pull the J & D credits above out of my butt (or off the records). I got them from a very reliable source. I also have Steve McParland's books and trust his instincts and knowledge.

But.

Per Mark A. Moore, whom I also trust with his vast J&D research and knowledge:

For the backing vocals on "Surf City," Jan brought in a trio consisting of Tony Minichiello, Manuel Sanchez, and Vic Diaz. In the absence of Dean Torrence (who did participate on backing vocals), the prominent falsetto parts on "Surf City" were handled by Tony Minichiello. The subtle falsetto in the line, "Surf City, here we come," was sung by Brian Wilson.

That's strange. Maybe some people recorded a certain vocal a some point and then was substituted. Does not sound like BW at all. Also, Brian's co-leads with Jan were guide vocals or something. I don't think he's audible at all.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2013, 04:03:56 AM »

Well, he did write quite a bit of lyrics on his own and without Mike, if that's what you're referring to.....
There's other interviews from roughly the same time with all the BBs present where Brian states he's writing the songs. Just like that. Not "I'm responsible for the music and co-writing the lyrics with my cousin Mike over there." or "The music's me, Mike does the catchy lyrics.". And Mike is present right there.

One example:

"I'm writing the songs and I produce them..." [LINK]

Maybe Brian and Mike had an agreement on publicly speaking about their material, or maybe Brian did write more lyrics of the early stuff. Who knows..
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2013, 04:34:54 AM »

we have discussed a bunch in the past-in his Goldmine interview in the 1990s Mike was quite honest about his contributions-he sometimes wrote all the lyrics, sometimes just wrote a few lines, sometimes wrote a hook-he did not deny that Brian also wrote lyrics to many of their hits.  By the way-the footage is most surely from August 29 1964-BBs played three shows at Springlake that day than had a 3 day break.  During that break-according to Brad Elliot-they held a secret session to "fix" the concert album.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 06:41:38 AM »

Was that song really popular? In my ears it is utterly awful. Was music about grannies considered 'hip'? people really were square back then if they liked stuff like that. No wonder they had a square image from playing tunes like that when they could've played their own material which was usually far better.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2013, 08:23:52 AM »

The song is a parody of drag/car music. I can't believe that isn't apparent. Jeez.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx