gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:47:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ida "B" Blackburn Beach Boys Interview 1964  (Read 26771 times)
DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:32:53 AM »

Interview with the Beach Boys (Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Denis Wilson, Al Jardine and Mike Love) by Ida Blackburn on the Ida B Show. Also footage of their concert before the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z4N4BSs4Ic

Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:44:29 AM »

Springlake Amusement Park, Oklahoma City - either July 9th, August 28th or August 29th.

Great interview footage.

Edit - if "WIGU(TBAM)" is the latest 45, it's one of the August dates.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:47:50 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:58:22 AM »

Was just about to post this.

Incredible, incredible stuff.
2013 has been good so far.

MBE
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:02:21 AM »

Never thought I would get to see a young Brian talk so much. Seemed very normal then, they all do.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:16:02 AM »

Wonderful stuff!

So interesting to see them all at this stage of their lives.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:19:17 AM »

Very nice Smiley
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:16:35 AM »

This is incredible. Thanks to the OP!

Isn't it wonderful how almost 50 years later, this stuff still pops up from out of the woodwork? One of the great joys of being a collector and enthusiast.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 07:31:53 AM »

So, am I the only one who can't get this to work? I see visual but no sound. When I click anywhere on the page (like the volume, or if I try to skip ahead) everything goes black. Anyone else seeing this? I rebooted, and same result.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 07:36:27 AM »

The performance part has no sound - the interview segments, however, do.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:38:31 AM »

So great...Dennis even hits on the woman reporter a bit, complimenting her on her lovely gown.
And here's Mike Love, the OLDEST member of the group.
Terrific find.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 07:46:12 AM »

So, am I the only one who can't get this to work? I see visual but no sound. When I click anywhere on the page (like the volume, or if I try to skip ahead) everything goes black. Anyone else seeing this? I rebooted, and same result.
The concert footage is silent, but once it gets to the interview part the sound does work.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 07:55:23 AM »

Fan-freakin'-tastic footage. Awesome. How great that the historical society made that available.

One thing to note, early on in the interview: When asked about his songwriting, the very first thing Brian mentions is competition and the competition with other groups. Next, he says the love for music and creativity and all of that. There is the driving force of Brian's craft being laid out on camera, and something which Brian himself said he later gave up after Good Vibrations and Smile's demise. Just in case anyone needed conformation of that, there it is in 1964.

And how great to see that classic stage setup: The Fender amps and reverb tanks on the stage floor, the matching white Fender Jaguar, Strat, and P-Bass, the old-school Shure 55 and EV666 microphones.

And this question: Just how was the sound quality for the majority of people in those bleachers? Notice the PA speakers were those round metal public address horns mounted on stands, which were more often used to announce baseball lineups or broadcast civil defense announcements. And it would appear that all the microphones were going through those round PA horns, and the amps don't appear to be mic'ed up as best as I could tell.

So I'm guessing the sound wasn't all that great for those fans in the general seating.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 08:03:17 AM »

Priceless!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »

There is additional footage at the end of this clip showing Ida B greeting another group as they arrive at an airport. They looked somewhat familiar, and I took a screenshot.

Question: Would I be correct in guessing this was the Kingston Trio? There was another man with them, wearing Hollywood-approved shades, I'm guessing he might be the manager or someone we might recognize but I can't tell. It's at the very end of the film.

Kingston Trio?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 08:45:42 AM »

Looks like the same guys to me. Al would be so proud...

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 08:49:05 AM »

This footage just knocked me on my ass. Dennis is such a smoothie.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »

Springlake Amusement Park, Oklahoma City - either July 9th, August 28th or August 29th.

Great interview footage.

Edit - if "WIGU(TBAM)" is the latest 45, it's one of the August dates.

Great stuff!! 
Notice that Dennis says they next have 3 days off and then fly to NY, which would peg this as the August 29th show. 

Can someone do a stop/zoom and identify the song list Mike wrote on his palm?   

And Brian writes the music first and then the lyrics. First mention of Mike writing the lyrics is from Al, about "Surfin"

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 09:12:28 AM »

same thing happened to me. then i just let the clip run. no sound until interview. just let it run and don't click on anything.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »

I haven't found anything yet as far as a Kingston Trio 60's tour date listing, nothing near as complete as Andrew's or Eric's setlist archive, for sure! I was trying to peg the timing of the footage - obviously it's Oklahoma as "Ida B" was a local TV personality and wouldn't have traveled outside to do stories on folk singers, I would assume.

Yeah, Al loved these guys and I was curious if the two groups had crossed paths that week in Oklahoma, 1964.

And if anyone takes a look, does the guy in shades walking with the Kingston Trio at the end look familiar? The first assumption would be Nik Venet - I say that because if this film were of a certain time, the Trio was still on Capitol and they might be working with Nik. But there is no date to confirm much of anything, other than the footage looks to be from 63-64 and it's on the same reel as a BB's film where the date *is* confirmed. Just wild speculation, as usual.

Interesting stuff.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »

Ida was great! I really liked her. Asked good questions - great personality.

Surprised Ida touched on Brian's other projects right off the bat and Brian didn't hesitate to point out (twice) that he'd written for Jan & Dean. Brian knew all the single A & B sides up to that point and didn't miss a beat. House cleaning music! And just like the Beatles, girls were jumping over the fence to get to them. The Boys seemed to get alomg real good. Very humorous and happy. Al fit right in. A reveiling interview - one of the best!

No evidence that Brian was headed off the deep end.......yet.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:48:19 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »

Looks like they're playing Surfer Girl from about :42 on. Would be awesome to see it synced with the Live in Sacremento version.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »

Did Brian take credit for too many J&D hits?

Dennis is trying hard but Ida B seems to be most interested in Mike.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »

Speechless! Thanks for the link!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »

Some reminiscing on the July 9th 1964 show and:  

http://newsok.com/article/1937770

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 10:38:46 AM »

Did Brian take credit for too many J&D hits?

That's what I was thinking.  I mean, he co-wrote a few of them, but Berry and Christian and Altfield also had a big hand in them too!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx