gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:53:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Was Motown's Best Period?  (Read 38497 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2017, 05:42:42 AM »

Oh yes, Smoky Robinson and the Miracles are superb!
Great songs you posted. Other faves for me are "I Second that Emotion" and "The Tears of a Clown."

For Jr. Walker and The All Stars, another favorite is "Shake and Fingerpop." I love the lyric "Put on your wig, woman, we're going out to shake and fingerpop" LOL. And that wailing sax. Fun stuff.

Thanks, E. I bought "Shake And Fingerpop" at the time. What a groove! Bought "Going To A Go Go" as well and played it to death all that first evening! I think those were my only Motown singles...

As for albums, I had three Hitsville USA comps, Jr. Walker's debut with all the good stuff and a stonking instrumental album of Motown covers by Earl Van Dyke that included this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7WKsh3x-Q

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2017, 06:44:26 AM »

Tried to post this earlier in a more elaborate form but lost it while juggling with multiple windows!

This forgotten gem from 1964 by (in those days) Little Stevie Wonder was produced by Jack Nitzsche. It just failed to scrape the top 50 in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTgVe_onF8U 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »

Man, Motown was awesome! Motown's best period, that's a tough question.

I think the Tempts were at their best from 1967-1975. I love the early records and David Ruffin, and With A Lot O Soul is a fantastic album, but Cloud Nine and All Directions are two of their other masterpieces and came in the late 60's to early 70's. Norman Whitfield, as mention earlier, is a total genius and I could listen to his work for hours and hours. He wrote some of Motown's most iconic songs and was a true visionary: I'd argue he saved Motown with his consistently excellent work in the late 60's and early 70's. Barrett Strong was also a great lyricist.

The Four Tops were at their best from 1967-1973. Reach Out is great, as are H-D-H, but I LOVE their Frank Wilson produced work: Still Waters Run Deep and Changing Times in particular. Such a unique sound, and fascinating lyrics and production. Main Street People, their second post-Motown album, should be mentioned also even though it's not Motown. It's no surprise that he was a Whitfield protégé.

The Supremes were pretty consistent throughout, as were Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, but they too seemed to hit a stride in 1966/67. Plus, I love Edwin Starr's music from this period as well. His album '25 Miles' is quite good. My favorite songs of his are Soul City, Love Is My Destination and Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On. Time is another good one.

So I'd say 1967 is when Motown probably peaked in terms of artistic AND commercial success, but a lot of their artists went on to do great (arguably their best) work in from '67 onwards and into the mid-70's. And of course I haven't even mentioned Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder and the Jacksons, who obviously were incredibly successful in the 70's. David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks also had some success as solo artists, especially Kendricks, or Jimmy Ruffin, who was big around the same time. So I'd say 1967-1975 is my favorite Motown period, and their best.

My top Motown songs (in no particular order, just ones I love), if I had to make a list, would be:

Mother Nature (Tempts)
I Can't Be Hurt Anymore (David Ruffin)
In These Changing Times (Four Tops)
Reflections (Supremes version or Tops version, either one)
The Agony and the Ecstasy (Smokey)
Runaway Child, Running Wild (Tempts)
Love Is My Destination (Edwin Starr)
Living for the City (Stevie Wonder)
The Onion Song (Gaye and Tami Terrell)
Love Woke Me Up This Morning (Tempts version)

Honorable mentions would be Right Before My Eyes by the Four Tops, Mercy, Mercy Me by Marvin, Tuesday Heartbreak by Wonder, Quiet Storm by Smokey. Wow, now I feel like I should've put those as my absolute favorites, and I could keep going. And this post is a lot longer than I'd thought it'd be.  LOL
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2017, 10:37:11 AM »

Great post there, JL. We're clearly of different generations as for me Motown peaked in '66. ;=)

JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2017, 10:45:46 AM »

Great post there, JL. We're clearly of different generations as for me Motown peaked in '66. ;=)

Lol thanks. Yeah, I've always loved Motown, the Temptations are probably my favorite group aside from The Beatles and The Beach Boys.

You really can't go wrong with any era of Motown. 1966 was a great year for the label too. Admittedly I'm not as big a fan of the late 70's-80's Motown, but there's some amazing stuff there too.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:48:21 AM by JL » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »

While I love early Motown, the later (1967 through 1975 or so) appeals to me more. There's more variety with the songs, topics wise.
For hard hitting songs, in my opinion, recordings by Stevie Wonder (Livin for the City, among many others), Edwin Starr (War), Temptations (Papa was a Rolling Stone), Supremes (Love Child), Marvin Gaye (What's Goin On and others) hold up very well even now.
Love Motown.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2017, 07:30:19 PM »

While I love early Motown, the later (1967 through 1975 or so) appeals to me more. There's more variety with the songs, topics wise.
For hard hitting songs, in my opinion, recordings by Stevie Wonder (Livin for the City, among many others), Edwin Starr (War), Temptations (Papa was a Rolling Stone), Supremes (Love Child), Marvin Gaye (What's Goin On and others) hold up very well even now.
Love Motown.

Good post! I agree with you, even your favorite time period of '67-75. Motown wasn't the consistent hit machine it once was in the later years, but every artist flying off in different directions made for some great music.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2017, 07:52:09 AM »

I dislike Motown. Listened to famous names - boring. Is obscure artist who fans who read this thread could advise to hear?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »

I dislike Motown. Listened to famous names - boring. Is obscure artist who fans who read this thread could advise to hear?

To each their own, as they say!

If you dislike the main stars of Motown, there's certainly plenty of more obscure artists that maybe had a couple of hits before fading away.

As mentioned, Edwin Starr is good, but I forgot to mention that even some of his 70's disco hits like H-A-P-P-Y Radio and Contact are solid. His version of My Sweet Lord is also good.

The Undisputed Truth had the one hit Smiling Faces Sometimes, but did other songs too (including the ORIGINAL Papa Was a Rolling Stone).

Jimmy Ruffin has some nice music too.

Also dig deep into the catalogs of The Four Tops and Temptations, they're not obscure, but some of their later music is. They had some big flops that never scraped the Top 40 and you never hear talked about, but are still fantastic.

And of course there's a smattering of other Motown groups that had very brief periods of mild success (The Velvelettes, The Monitors, Shorty Long) that are worth hearing, if you want REALLY obscure.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:36:19 AM by JL » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2017, 12:39:24 PM »

And of course there's a smattering of other Motown groups that had very brief periods of mild success (The Velvelettes, The Monitors, Shorty Long) that are worth hearing, if you want REALLY obscure.

Love The Velvelettes, particularly "Needle In A Haystack": 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh7Vpr4V6HM

Shorty Long's "Function At The Junction" is another corker. And The Elgins did some great stuff too...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2017, 04:30:16 PM »

Question to JL: which song everybody likes you don't? Which 'town artist many regard great you just like casually?

Thanks to the list. After 60s psych music shall check Edwin Starr et al.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2017, 06:19:57 PM »

Question to JL: which song everybody likes you don't? Which 'town artist many regard great you just like casually?

Thanks to the list. After 60s psych music shall check Edwin Starr et al.

You're welcome!

To be honest with you, outside of Marvin Gaye's big hits in the 60's and his What's Going On album, I feel like he's pretty overrated as an artist. I haven't listened to all of his work yet, but 'Let's Get It On' is considered a masterpiece album by many: I found it decent but dull and monotonous. I feel similarly for 'Here, My Dear': supposedly one of the greatest albums ever made to many. I DO find it sloppy and at times incoherent, but on the plus side it is more interesting than LGIO. And for better or worse, it's a real, painfully honest look into the mind of Marvin Gaye at that point in time (much like say, 'Love You' was for Brian Wilson). I actually like his last album, "Midnight Love" more than the other two 'classics'. Marvin is still a legend for What's Going On alone, and his singing voice, but I think that Curtis Mayfield had him beat as a songwriter/producer and David Ruffin as a vocalist.

I like Smokey Robinson a LOT: but mostly his more mature solo work. I feel some of his cutesy early lyrics were effective but already outdated by the mid-to late sixties. Listen to what his next single for the Temptations was going to be before Norman Whitfield took over as their producer (Little Miss Sweetness) and compare it to what Whitfield wrote (Ain't Too Proud To Beg), and you'll see how other songwriters were already beginning to equal or surpass him, or at least keep up with the times better (which Smokey eventually did as well in the 70's). Whitfield/Barrett Strong and Holland-Dozier-Holland were both better, more consistent composers/lyricists overall.

I'd say those two are the biggest examples. Again, I 'do' like them, but there's other Motown artists that I not only like more personally, but even from a more unbiased perspective, I feel like they're not quite as great as some claim them to be. Which isn't to say they aren't great at all, or unimportant in history: just overrated, sometimes at the expense of better artists.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2017, 08:53:11 PM »

The only pop songwriter I might put alongside Brian's 3-5 years of genius is Stevie Wonder's early 70's genius.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS2yMn3JbQk
^
Every bloody note in that song is complete perfection. Ditto this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wZ_b_uUAdQ
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2018, 07:16:40 AM »

The only pop songwriter I might put alongside Brian's 3-5 years of genius is Stevie Wonder's early 70's genius.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Like heck I will. Grin

I'm more a fan of Stevie's early to mid '60s stuff. This one, which I heard in the restaurant at lunchtime today, is my all-time SW favourite (and his first) since dropping the "Little" from his name. (My favourite when he was Little Stevie Wonder? The Jack Nitzsche produced "Castles In The Sand".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDbyOLzEyfk

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2018, 07:17:01 PM »

Single favorite 'town artist: Jackson 5. Sure, everybody makes big deal about this record company but to me it's just one of many. If I don't hear any songs by the other 'town artists again, it wouldn't be end of the world.
Anyhoo, Jackie Wilson beats the whole 'town! :D 3D

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2018, 03:11:50 AM »

Anyhoo, Jackie Wilson beats the whole 'town! :D 3D

I disagree, RR, but I do agree that Jackie did some great songs! Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvLMbSDFV1I

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2018, 06:06:38 AM »

Disagree away. It matters that Berry Gordy, 'town founder 3D, stated the same about Jackie Wilson in his autobio dubbing him the greatest singer he'd ever heard. 3D Means a lot, roight?

What's in the link? I said many times before that youtube's very slow, at least people with fast video traffic should try to help by jotting down what's in it. Ta in advance.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2018, 02:20:24 PM »

What's in the link? I said many times before that youtube's very slow, at least people with fast video traffic should try to help by jotting down what's in it. Ta in advance.

It's "I Get The Sweetest Feeling", probably my favourite JW song.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »

I love Lonely Teardrops !

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2019, 08:21:45 AM »

Back to Motown (after almost a year). There was (and maybe still is) a great active Motown topic across the road--here I'm on my own (win some, lose some). The Temptations almost deserve a topic of their own, although this can probably be said of a dozen other Motown acts. Masses of sad songs on that label--the Temps certainly had a few under their belt and perhaps none sadder than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-es4Q8AJaU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wish_It_Would_Rain

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2019, 02:31:06 AM »

The Elgins are fairly low-profile as Motown acts go but they recorded some true classics, including the sumptuous "Put Yourself In My Place", which has been on my mind all morning. Love the little vocal twist at the second "try it baby"!

Eeek! In my infinite ignorance, I'd always assumed the lead singer was a man like the backing vocalists. I only found out this minute that it's not. My sincere apologies to Saundra Mallett Edwards. Smokin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIkwuUodBUM
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:32:33 AM by JK » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2019, 02:32:08 PM »

Here's a heart-breaking Motown ballad I used to play on the piano in the 1960s. The solo in Brenda Holloway's "Every Little Bit Hurts" is every pianist's dream:  Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMsIPnX-lzA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Holloway

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx