gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:46:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Was Motown's Best Period?  (Read 38495 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »

Yesterday I was listening to some Supremes circa 1965 and this just blew me away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcylDkRw7dg

The rhythm section hits a groove in 1965-67 that is unsurpassed in any music I know. Such as this Four Tops number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wYoLQc-x5g

Jimmy Ruffin on the subsidiary Soul Label (original 1966, reissued 1975):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vf3ZE7CLg0

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:09:04 PM »

Not a popular opinion, but to me, Motown was never better than its 1961-1963 output. So many fantastic sounds by The Miracles, Mary Wells, Eddie Holland, Marvin Gaye (before he went into heavier R&B, he tried his hand at standards and soul-pop with great results), The Marvelettes, and the early efforts of the "no-hit" Supremes.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jason
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »

Sheesh, that's a tough one. Up until 1971 the label was just ON FIRE. I'd say the 1959-71 era was the best.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »

1966. But there are essential records, all the way through 1982. I wouldn't trade any Motown period for another, up till then.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:34:01 AM »

It doesn't thin out after 1971? I know you have Stevie flying the flag but what else of that standard?
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:41:58 AM »

61-65

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:17:13 PM »

It doesn't thin out after 1971? I know you have Stevie flying the flag but what else of that standard?

Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross, Jackson 5, Michael Jackson, The Miracles, The Temptations, Rick James, Teena Marie, Mary Jane Girls, Willie Hutch, Thelma Houston, Syreeta, Eddie Kendricks, Undisputed Truth, Gladys Knight & The Pips and many others.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 03:30:19 PM »

Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross, Jackson 5, Michael Jackson, The Miracles, The Temptations, Rick James, Teena Marie, Mary Jane Girls, Willie Hutch, Thelma Houston, Syreeta, Eddie Kendricks, Undisputed Truth, Gladys Knight & The Pips and many others.

OK, those, but what else?

(that was a joke)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »

(that was a joke)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »

(that was a joke)

Isn't that 1983 (and so ineligible)?

I rest my case. Your witness, Spaceman.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »

Can't Slow Down's cover is greatly misunderstood. Most folks think the choice of white pants, white carpet and a nearly empty white room as being symptomatic of Lionel's music being the most pasteurized version of R&B music that could possibly be imagined. Actually, he is taking a visual cue from Yoko Ono and commenting on the essentially austere, goal-focused ethos of the decade the album was made in. At times, he notes the threat of cocaine-fueled excess to the 80's wholesome surface, particularly in the subtle parenthetical insistence in the title "All Night Long (All Night)". The idea of the visually afflicted having a greater sense of "sight" than "normal" people, which is expressed in the moving video for "Hello", finds great resonance with the early work of Pete Townshend.
I'll think of more later. I gotta go return some videos.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »

Can't Slow Down's cover is greatly misunderstood. Most folks think the choice of white pants, white carpet and a nearly empty white room as being symptomatic of Lionel's music being the most pasteurized version of R&B music that could possibly be imagined. Actually, he is taking a visual cue from Yoko Ono and commenting on the essentially austere, goal-focused ethos of the decade the album was made in. At times, he notes the threat of cocaine-fueled excess to the 80's wholesome surface, particularly in the subtle parenthetical insistence in the title "All Night Long (All Night)". The idea of the visually afflicted having a greater sense of "sight" than "normal" people, which is expressed in the moving video for "Hello", finds great resonance with the early work of Pete Townshend.

LOL

And my dad had that album.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 09:17:09 PM »

LOL

But did he have the limited edition replica of the Lionel bust from the "Hello" video? They gave away 5 of them, you'd win the head if you opened the album jacket and found a gold ticket inside.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »

LOL

But did he have the limited edition replica of the Lionel bust from the "Hello" video? They gave away 5 of them, you'd win the head if you opened the album jacket and found a gold ticket inside.

He's going to be so mad when he finds that he missed out.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »

Just My Imagination, 1971. Doesn't get any better than this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Z9-QCmZyw
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 04:13:50 PM »

Yeah, that song is pure astral projection.

LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »

1961-1972, and inside of that, 1963-1967. Absolutely amazing music was being cranked out left and right, and Holland-Dozier-Holland were amazing songwriters and the Funk Brothers? Nothing else needs to be said. I couldn't live without it.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 03:31:46 AM »

been obsessed with that song lately, that harmony blend...wow

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »

been obsessed with that song lately, that harmony blend...wow
I think those 7 or 8 harp notes near the beginning have to be the most effective 7 or 8 harp notes in the world.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 03:22:09 PM »

LOL

He's going to be so mad when he finds that he missed out.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 05:27:35 PM »

Thanks for starting this thread, harrisonjon. It prompted me to get out my Motown. Just for the heck of it, my Top 10, today Cheesy:

1. Love Child - The Supremes
2. You're All I Need To Get By - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
3. My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder
4. Get Ready - The Temptations
5. It's The Same Old Song - The Four Tops
6. Goin' To A Go-Go - The Miracles
7. Maybe Tomorrow - The Jackson 5
8. Jimmy Mack - Martha & The Vandellas
9. Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
10. Mercy Mercy Me - Marvin  Gaye
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 09:40:16 PM »

Does this count as Motown? It was actually on Epic Records. Takes about 2 seconds for this song to make me break down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE0pwJ5PMDg
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 09:43:55 PM »

And the way the guitar line in this song interacts with the rest of the song has always had me spellbound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lihbaHfnDhk

Another borderline Motown song I suppose.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »

Does this count as Motown? It was actually on Epic Records.

You've answered your own question. It can't be Motown if it was released on Epic. Great record though!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 12:05:28 AM »

Best has gotta be 1964-67. The best Four Tops, Temps, Miracles and Supremes records came out mostly during those years. "Reach Out I'll Be There" has gotta be in my top 10 of all time.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx