gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 04:39:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Derek Bill  (Read 8051 times)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »

For those of you who go back for many years, the name Derek Bill will mean something. He passed away last night suddenly, and arrangements are pending. He was a true friend and colleague. He joins a group of close Beach Boy friends who died way too young. His wife and sons have our sympathy. Derek deserves more time than he was given. With Bob Hanes, he was the first Beach Boys friend I made. He is sorely missed.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »

Sad and shocking news. Derek was one of the pioneers in BB esoterica, a resourceful collector (who had a legendary run-in with Marilyn Wilson), and an all-around great guy with a top-notch pair of ears. I still have some cassettes that I got from him where he'd had an engineer fan isolate vocal and instrumental tracks for a slew of BB songs that went well beyond the likes of Stack o'Tracks...great stuff.

I think it was safe to say that Derek was clearly a Brianista...I remember reading an article on Mike's lawsuit over BWPS and down in the comments was a classic Derek one-liner:

"Mike will do well to make sure that his tombstone has an easily washable surface."

LOL. Rest in peace, Derek.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »

Gosh, Peter, too many of us are passing away way too young!  Sad news indeed...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »

Oh sh!t!!!  First Greg Larson, then Bob Hanes, then Les Chan, now Derek!  Last time I talked to Derek was a few months ago.  Now I'm really starting to believe the theory that when it's your time, it's your time.  Age or health many times has nothing to do with it.  The end can come very suddenly and without warning.  It's really true - you gotta enjoy family and friends while they're still here 'cause they might not be here tomorrow!

Derek went with me to visit Brian Wilson in his house in Bel Aire, June, 1976. Great memories. He was a HUGE Beach Boys fan and was good people like Greg, Bob, and Les were. Bought from and traded quite a few Beach Boys items with Derek from the 70's to 2,000's (way before and after a cop unexpectedly came to his house in Oxnard to take some important items from him).   Cheesy

My condolenses are with his family.  God bless you, Derek.  You were a top shelf Beach Boys fan and a top notch trustworthy guy.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:09:57 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »

Wow -- The first time I ventured beyond buying Beach Boys records from my local record store was to answer an ad in the Beach Boys Fan Club newsletter from one D. A. Bill.  I can't remember what I bought, but that was my introduction to Derek -- and to Beach Boys collecting.  Through the years he was a great resource to bounce collecting questions and market prices off of.  And one time when Endless Summer Quarterly was faced with a potential legal issue, Derek (who was a paralegal by trade, and also knew the person who was making the threats very well) was able to talk me down off the ledge.

One of the original founding fathers of Beach Boys collecting, and I was glad to have known him.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:50:18 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 06:14:02 PM »

Oh man,  This is terrible. I was just talking to him a couple of weeks ago. One of my best BBs friends.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 07:26:16 PM »

Haven't had contact with Derek for a long while but was always another generous and gracious fan friend like the Rev and Greg. Very sad.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 07:39:32 PM »

How awful. Haven't been in touch with Derek in a few years, but, like Greg and Bob, he was one of the good ones. We're losing too many good people lately...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »

Sad news indeed. Agree, Derek was one of the good ones and he will be missed.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:55:49 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 09:24:17 PM »

Like so many...I got my "serious" Beach Boys' Collecting bug so many years ago, when I first contacted Derek Bill while he was still in Oxnard.  He always had the most amazing things, and it was through him I acquired some of the first things I ever had in my collection, and I still have most or all of them today. 

I remember the story about Marilyn Wilson showing up at his doorstep to serve him papers way back when...how cool is that (in retrospect of course!!!).  Derek was able to get a hold of things that no one else could and his knowledge of things help Peter Reum's collection grow and soon also became some of the basis of the Brad Elliot book. 

It was because of people like Derek that I would hear about other collectors, who soon became friends and many continue to be friends.   Like Les Chan, he was well connected and took the time to connect people.

I remember a few years ago, I was contacted by someone who asked me, "Do you have copies of the Birth Certificates of Brian, Carl or Dennis Wilson".  He was asking as he was trying to confirm (or not) that the SAME doctor who delivered one or two of the Wilson Brothers, had also delivered one of his family members.  I remember some of Derek's price lists having some of the Birth Certificates copied on the outside cover.  So, I contacted Derek who had to search, but a couple weeks later I had a PDF with Dennis' Birth Certificate and the doctor's name.  And it turned out to be the SAME doctor who had delivered this friends family member.    Derek was very gracious to share it with me.

Always a "good guy".  And another of the super fans and super friends who will be missed.

Dogbone

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 10:36:24 PM »

Oh Jesus no.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »

I used to talk to him online during my early Beach Boys fandom, along with other departed friends Greg Larson and Fred Scerbo. The first three genuine BB friends I made online have now passed. I had lost touch with Derek a few years ago, but had recently gotten back in touch with him via Facebook.

Sad news.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:43:27 PM by Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 02:27:46 AM »

Derek was an interesting guy (I met him once in 1979): I learned a lot with him about trading records in those mid seventies (also with Peter Reum).
He was interested to learn about the foreign pressings.
I still treasure those BBcollectors items.....
Now he can surf forever with Dennis, Carl ans Les. Rest in peace Brother.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 05:49:11 AM »

very sad news. been laid up the past few days with the flu. just logged in and read this thread and a pm. got quite a lot of stuff from him over 30 years ago.
RIP derek----you will be missed.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:52:32 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
mtaber
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 11:29:37 AM »

Derek was a great person and I am crying as I write this response.  I had the chance to meet up with Derek when  I went out to the west coast to surprise him for his birthday, back in 1979 or '80 when I was doing my newsletters. It was a grand adventure - I also met Peter out there, plus David Leaf and Brad Rosenberg. Went to two of the Universal Amphitheatre shows as well as a Jan & Dean concert, plus listened to unreleased songs that David had, and checked out L.A. in general. Laughed with Derek virtually the whole time...

I would correspond with Derek on a regular basis,  from the mid-seventies to early eighties.  Always a good guy. I remember when the whole mess happened with Marilyn Wilson over the Gold records. He kept his sense of humor and we'd laugh about the absurdity of it all.

Derek found me this past year via Facebook and we did exchange some short communications, but not as many as I now wish we had done...

My condolences to his family and friends. Derek, you are missed.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »

Depending on who you talked to, the lady who came to Derek's house with the cop was either Marilyn or Diane. I understood for many years that it was Marilyn, and when I jokingly asked Derek a couple of times who it was, he just laughed it off and I never really got a straight answer. Whomever it was, my understanding was that she sat in the back of the police car out in front of the house while the officer did his business. And unfortunately for many collectors, there were more than just gold records confiscated..... Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 12:00:21 PM »

Another unexpected Beach Boys fandom loss - Derek was a gentleman and a scholar, indefatigable in the pursuit of the history and details of Beach Boy collectibles.  I haven't had contact with him for a few years but he will be missed.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 12:03:40 PM »

What happened with Derek and the gold records? I've heard references to stories over the years but never read a detailed version. I've also read that Derek had an amazing collection, with sometimes multiple copies of rare and foreign releases. Unless I'm thinking of another name from Beach Boys' collector circles (Brad Elliott?). I remember when I first got into the Beach Boys in the late '90s/early 00's, his was one of the names posting or mentioned a lot on the Beach Boys Usenet message boards.  There were two Usenet groups for the band and there were a lot of really knowledgeable people posting on them.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »

Depending on who you talked to, the lady who came to Derek's house with the cop was either Marilyn or Diane. I understood for many years that it was Marilyn, and when I jokingly asked Derek a couple of times who it was, he just laughed it off and I never really got a straight answer. Whomever it was, my understanding was that she sat in the back of the police car out in front of the house while the officer did his business. And unfortunately for many collectors, there were more than just gold records confiscated..... Cheesy

Derek and I talked about this the beginning of December as we were reminiscing:
It was Neither Marilyn or Diane. It was just a "nobody" that the thieves involved could pass off as being Marilyn to the Oxnard police, so they could get into Derek's house to steal what they wanted/needed. 
I don't know that' it's warranted to post the names of the thieves involved.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »

Basically, Derek opened the door just before Xmas 1979 to find a couple of policemen with a search warrant who wanted to ask him about a BB gold disc he'd advertised in one of his set sales. In the car behind them was a woman I've had described to me as variously Marilyn, Diane and a secretary from Brother. No matter. The irony was that the gold disc which they assumed was stolen was perfectly legitimately acquired, but they searched the house anyway and of course found a whole bunch of stuff - tapes, boots and the like - that was harder to explain. Fortunately (for the fans) Derek had very recently mailed a large parcel overseas, which why, for a few months, all remaining copies of the BBCS volumes 3 and 5 (respectively, about 35 and 20 copies) resided under my bed until the coast was clear, so to speak.

Derek wasn't just a huge, and hugely influential, fan, he was also a great, great guy. We lost touch for decades following the bust and then about two years ago, got back in contact via Facebook. If he'd not vouched for me, I doubt I've had interviewed Sharon Marie. he will be desperately missed by all who knew him.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »

Of course BBCS Vol 3 was "Hawthorne Hotshots" (500) and BBCS Vol 5 was the Smile cover back slick (200).

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »

Of course BBCS Vol 3 was "Hawthorne Hotshots" (500) and BBCS Vol 5 was the Smile cover back slick (200).

Very sorry to hear this news.  Never met Derek, and haven't had contact with him for around 30 years, but back in the mid-late 70's he served as one of my main sources, via purchases and trades, for BB related items including audio of concerts, radio and tv shows, and rare tracks.  

I had always heard it was Marilyn Wilson who accompanied the police to Derek's home during "the bust", so I was surprised to read here that it may have been Diane, someone else, or even a person working with thieves.  My recollection is that he became disenchanted with the whole Beach Boys scene for a time after that, but fortunately that didn't last too long.  

And, ah, yes, The Hawthone Hotshots, on Jackalope Records in Resume Speed, Wyoming.  It was so cool to have those tracks on vinyl, even in the unusual configuration of two 7 inch 33 rpm records.  For years I had thought that Derek had been responsible for compiling and manufacturing those discs, but I was later advised that while Derek was the distributor, another BB collector, who shall remain nameless, had arranged for the manufacture of the set.  Anyway, it was great to hear all that then rare stuff, and it served only to increase my desire to purchase those tracks and others when they were (and in some cases are still to be) officially released.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 03:13:17 PM »

Basically, Derek opened the door just before Xmas 1979 to find a couple of policemen with a search warrant who wanted to ask him about a BB gold disc he'd advertised in one of his set sales. In the car behind them was a woman I've had described to me as variously Marilyn, Diane and a secretary from Brother. No matter. The irony was that the gold disc which they assumed was stolen was perfectly legitimately acquired, but they searched the house anyway and of course found a whole bunch of stuff - tapes, boots and the like - that was harder to explain. Fortunately (for the fans) Derek had very recently mailed a large parcel overseas, which why, for a few months, all remaining copies of the BBCS volumes 3 and 5 (respectively, about 35 and 20 copies) resided under my bed until the coast was clear, so to speak.

Derek wasn't just a huge, and hugely influential, fan, he was also a great, great guy. We lost touch for decades following the bust and then about two years ago, got back in contact via Facebook. If he'd not vouched for me, I doubt I've had interviewed Sharon Marie. he will be desperately missed by all who knew him.

Very sorry to hear this news.  Never met Derek, and haven't had contact with him for around 30 years, but back in the mid-late 70's he served as one of my main sources, via purchases and trades, for BB related items including audio of concerts, radio and tv shows, and rare tracks. 

I had always heard it was Marilyn Wilson who accompanied the police to Derek's home during "the bust", so I was surprised to read here that it may have been Diane, someone else, or even a person working with thieves.  My recollection is that he became disenchanted with the whole Beach Boys scene for a time after that, but fortunately that didn't last too long. 

Ya know, when you get right down to it, it does matter!  And I don't want people here, that should know what's going on in the BBS world, walking around saying " iheard it was Marilyn, or Diane", because it wasn't and the both of them are good people and don't deserve that disrespect. 
 Derek and I were trading mails last month, and I asked him how he'd come to get involved in selling Beach Boys stuff. ( He and I did a lot of dealing/trading back then. I'll never forget that he sold me my Red/Yellow  Kenny and the Cadets. $375 seemd like a lot of $$ back then, but look at it now!!) anyway this is what he had to say: 
  >>  Well, looking back now it seems like it was mostly two things: (1) being totally infatuated with Brian's music and therefore totally dedicated to learning as much as possible, including finding every item he or the group had ever had anything to do with, and (2) Being in the right place at the right time: My geography was good, near the Capitol swap meet and a couple of people in the area who had stumbled onto large quantities of stuff, and I think that maybe even my CA address helped my mail order business. Which, BTW, was helped immensely by my access to the BBFUN mailing list. Cindy and I had helped Alice out with addressing fan newsletters a few times, and so I had  copy of the entire membership roster, back around '77 or so.

Not having another job or school - allowing me to concentrate full time on the venture - really helped.

Of course after the arrest it was a different story. I'd had enough. But selling all that stuff paid for a down payment on a house (this was when interest rates were about 14 percent, remember!?), a new car, and like that. And my legal fees.... about $10K....more like $40K in today's dollars.

But I can't complain.

Decades later I learned that I was actually a patsy of sorts. Stan Love and Rocky Pamplin had trashed the Brother offices - including gold records - after being fired....only to be rehired a day later. The group was in Hawaii at the time, and so Stan & Rocky had only a week to find replacement gold records. Thanks to Paula Perrin, who was "helping", they found a source only 60 miles up the coast.

That story about Marilyn being in the car outside my house had been a hoax. It was an office girl one of them was screwing, posing as her. I guess they figured the Oxnard police could be toyed with, and they were right.   <<

Derek was such a great person/great friend to me as we travelled on through our lives.
To simply say he'll be missed, misses the whole point for me

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »

Great summary of what happened bgas, rocky and Stan were such scumbags.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »

Received quite an education in 78 or 79 regarding Smile and other rare tracks - he traded with me.  And I was just a goofy high-school kid at the time.  He will be missed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx