God Only Knows - Semi-Obscure June 1967 R&B Cover Version

<< < (2/7) > >>

Eric Aniversario:
Cool stuff, thanks for posting.

Rocker:
Wow! Thanks for the link! Great version

guitarfool2002:
Two questions:

1. It seems that this cover was one of the few Pet Sounds covers done at this time, along with the others mentioned above. Is there a list of other PS covers which were released in, say, 66-68 when the album was still relatively current and when the songs were still getting played on top 40 stations? I know I'm probably missing some info, so any new info or links would be appreciated!

The only prominent cover I could think of, and it's not technically from Pet Sounds, was the Hollyridge Strings version of Good Vibrations from 1967, which I know Don Steele had used as background on his KHJ radio show.

2. Is it possible that Brian himself or any of the other band members had not (or have not) heard this version of the song? If so, would it be feasible to maybe pass it on somehow so at least Brian could possibly hear it (again) in 2013?

Chocolate Shake Man:
There's Bobby Vee's Here Today from around that time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raMmNx0cWRo

bgas:
Quote from: guitarfool2002 on January 05, 2013, 11:34:05 AM

Two questions:

1. It seems that this cover was one of the few Pet Sounds covers done at this time, along with the others mentioned above. Is there a list of other PS covers which were released in, say, 66-68 when the album was still relatively current and when the songs were still getting played on top 40 stations? I know I'm probably missing some info, so any new info or links would be appreciated!

The only prominent cover I could think of, and it's not technically from Pet Sounds, was the Hollyridge Strings version of Good Vibrations from 1967, which I know Don Steele had used as background on his KHJ radio show.

2. Is it possible that Brian himself or any of the other band members had not (or have not) heard this version of the song? If so, would it be feasible to maybe pass it on somehow so at least Brian could possibly hear it (again) in 2013?

I know there have been lists of cover versions for all the songs, not sure if I've seen one for PS only.   \
Howabout you post your list of the ones you know of, we'll all look and see if we have any to add? 
Fairly certain the 3 I mentioned ( Carmen McRae, Sam Fletcher and PP Arnold) are the ones I can think of

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page