gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:38:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 article on Beach Boys touring royalties  (Read 1610 times)
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2013, 04:23:04 AM »

I've just come across this 2007 piece by Rafi Mohammed, who appears to be some manner of big-cheese business consultant, entitled "What’s the Value of the 'The Beach Boys' Brand", which as far as I can tell has never been mentioned on this site before. The upshot:

Luckily, the Beach Boys are litigious – there are several publicly available court documents containing a treasure trove of interesting information ...

In 1998, after the death of Carl Wilson and amidst dissension in the band, BRI met to decide how “The Beach Boys” trademark should be used. As a result of this meeting, Mike Love agreed to pay a royalty on all of his gross concert revenues for the right to tour as “The Beach Boys.” C’mon, take a guess at how much the royalty rate is…Mr. Love agreed to pay a 20% royalty on the first $1 million in gross receipts and a 17.5% royalty thereafter. WOW…20% right off the top (before expenses)! I was surprised - that’s a lot of money especially since concert touring expenses are so high: managers and agents take percentages, it’s expensive to travel with a large band, and sound/light systems are costly. Of course, since Mike Love owns 25% of BRI, the net royalty he pays is 15%...but still, quite pricey ...

We all know that brands are valuable. But from a Value Decoder perspective, I’m always interested in understanding exactly how much a brand is worth. In this case, a heck of a lot! This value is illustrated by a comment from a friend of mine who is mildly interested in music. Amidst my shock over the 20% royalty, he commented “Rafi, I know who ‘The Beach Boys’ are but I have no idea who Mike Love is.”

http://www.pricingforprofit.com/pricing-strategy-blog/what-s-value-beach-boys-brand.htm
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:33:58 AM »

And on a semi-related note, there's this zinger from, of all things, the United States Court of Appeals (Ninth Circuit) ruling in LOVE v. SANCTUARY RECORDS GROUP LTD TV LLC, concerning the Smile/Mail on Sunday matter.

The central issue before us is whether American claims for relief can be asserted on the basis of conduct that only occurred in Great Britain. The defendants think not. Love wishes they all could be California torts.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-9th-circuit/1530601.html
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:19:42 AM »

Loving the tour rider :

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/beach-boys-rider?page=0
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »

I've always wondered who the Copenhagen was for.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 11:10:36 PM »

I note that the comments on The Smoking Gun site for the tour rider include the following from "Steve Love, University of Southern California". The accompanying Facebook page looks kosher (superficially at least).

Looks like the Boys have become cranky old fusspots since my time with them in the roaring Seventies!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstage/hall-fame/beach-boys

http://www.facebook.com/steve.love.90
halblaineisgood
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 11:46:59 PM »

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:32:49 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »

Bruce just seems weirder and weirder!!! By the way.. Hi Ya MIkey!! Haven't been on here since the Berkeley concert!! I saw then again up in Eugene Oregon..Have some great photos. Hope things are going well for you pal!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »

Hey, what it is, Jimmy?  Too bad we didn't connect in Berkeley, but that was a great concert, wadinit?  Wouldn't mind seeing your pictures.  Hope everything's going OK with you too, man! 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx