gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:00:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rick Nelson, a voice possessing effortlessness and tossed-off coolness  (Read 15219 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »

His Rick Nelson in Concert at the Troubadour is a great album, too.  From '69 or '70...
And it's even better on the expanded double CD released by Ace a couple years ago.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 09:44:16 PM »

Still writing about Rick Nelson......insiders and experts — youngest child Sam Nelson, Telecaster maestro James Burton, arranger-producer Jimmie Haskell, personal manager Greg McDonald, authors Philip Bashe and Sheree Homer — set the record straight on the rock entertainer’s final recording project left undisturbed for nearly 35 years.

https://medium.com/@jeremylr/as-long-as-we-had-him-rick-nelsons-inner-circle-expose-his-unreleased-last-record-acad31262342
"As Long As We Had Him: Rick Nelson's Inner Circle Expose His Unreleased Last Record"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 11:51:39 PM »

Still writing about Rick Nelson......insiders and experts — youngest child Sam Nelson, Telecaster maestro James Burton, arranger-producer Jimmie Haskell, personal manager Greg McDonald, authors Philip Bashe and Sheree Homer — set the record straight on the rock entertainer’s final recording project left undisturbed for nearly 35 years.

https://medium.com/@jeremylr/as-long-as-we-had-him-rick-nelsons-inner-circle-expose-his-unreleased-last-record-acad31262342
"As Long As We Had Him: Rick Nelson's Inner Circle Expose His Unreleased Last Record"
I have to wonder if this album will ever get released. None of us are getting any younger. I don't know whether McDonald is to be trusted; certain family members and ex-band members sure don't like him.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 01:51:57 AM »

His Rick Nelson in Concert at the Troubadour is a great album, too.  From '69 or '70...

This one? I hope it works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqvfqrtwJwY&list=PLd_ZLV_wrGAKWh3HC_CGnoR1HqXuG73kc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Concert_at_the_Troubadour,_1969

"Hello Mary Lou" is one of my earliest musical memories. Gorgeous song, as is the other side.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 05:51:11 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqvfqrtwJwY&list=PLd_ZLV_wrGAKWh3HC_CGnoR1HqXuG73kc

"Hello Mary Lou" is one of my earliest musical memories. Gorgeous song, as is the other side.

Ricky Nelson's guns Matthew and Gunner have been touring the last few years on their Dad's material.    My father, a huge Ricky Nelson fan, attended a show a year or two ago, and said it was amazing. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 06:44:18 AM »

Oh wow, thank you! Back in the early 80s I started getting interested in Rick(y) Nelson. While in a used record shop the proprietor suggested I get the Live at the Troubadour album, that it was quite good. Took it home and played it over and over.
I lost that and all other albums in a hurricane. Found out that a CD had been issued of it along with additional songs. Got that and enjoyed it once again. Unfortunately I left it and some other CDs in my car (including Brian's NPP and the BBs Live in Concert), forgetting to lock my car. Someone took them  Angry

Now I get to listen again to the songs that he sang in that album and that's great.

Yes, I love Hello Mary Lou. And wonderful rockers such as It's Late, and ballads such as Lonesome Town and My Rifle, My Pony and Me (duet done with Dean Martin in Rio Bravo)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 11:34:13 AM »

I finally coughed up the big bucks for the final Bear Family box, "Last Time Around", $150, but it was worth it. The book itself is easily worth that price tag.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 04:36:39 PM »

Those Bear Family releases are incredible. There's one for Louisiana Hayride performances that I'd love to have. Just the small item of the price tag lol.

I'll look into Last Time Around. Maybe my rationale can be that I had paid to see Brian for two shows in Nashville next week; if I add the cost of the hotel, gas, parking and the tickets that would be more than enough to buy a couple of Bear Family sets!

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »

Those Bear Family releases are incredible. There's one for Louisiana Hayride performances that I'd love to have. Just the small item of the price tag lol.

I'll look into Last Time Around. Maybe my rationale can be that I had paid to see Brian for two shows in Nashville next week; if I add the cost of the hotel, gas, parking and the tickets that would be more than enough to buy a couple of Bear Family sets!
The copy I got was used, but it pristine condition. New, I would have to add another $100 to the price. I will keep looking, and hope the other two show up eventually at a price I can afford.
So many photos in the book I've never seen before, and they seemed to have interviewed every musician to have worked with Rick in the 70's and 80's, including some that had never been interviewed before. Each and every one of them is full of praise for Rick as a singer and songwriter, and especially as a person. It's sad that the only guy to say anything negative is Phil "Fang" Volk, but in his case, I think he had a hard time going from being one of the stars in a band to just backing up another star.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 06:35:11 PM »

A shame about "Fang". I liked his bass playing (and had a little pre-teen crush on him during the 60s when watching them perform on the Where the Action Is program :-). )

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »

A shame about "Fang". I liked his bass playing (and had a little pre-teen crush on him during the 60s when watching them perform on the Where the Action Is program :-). )
Yeah, none of the Stone Canyon guys had anything good to say about him - probably cause he's gone out of his way put them down. Good bass player, though. Those Raider records always had a rock solid bottom end.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 09:35:56 AM »

I think if you were to list the coolest things ever to appear on screen, you would have to include Rick and Dino singing "My Rifle, Pony and Me" in Rio Bravo. The Duke close by. I watch that movie a couple of times a year, and that's the epitome of cool, that scene.

The man was awesome. He was there at the very beginning, had the first #1 on the Hot 100. Did he suffer from being a teen idol, maybe wasn't taken a seriously as he should have? And then when he transitioned into the Stone Canyon era he didn't get the respect he deserved. Man, Garden Party is a great tune.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »

I think if you were to list the coolest things ever to appear on screen, you would have to include Rick and Dino singing "My Rifle, Pony and Me" in Rio Bravo. The Duke close by. I watch that movie a couple of times a year, and that's the epitome of cool, that scene.

The man was awesome. He was there at the very beginning, had the first #1 on the Hot 100. Did he suffer from being a teen idol, maybe wasn't taken a seriously as he should have? And then when he transitioned into the Stone Canyon era he didn't get the respect he deserved. Man, Garden Party is a great tune.
If it was up to me, Rick would receive the credit for creating country rock instead of Gram Parsons.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx