gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:24:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Sweet and Bitter" and "Out In The Country"  (Read 55716 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2013, 10:40:22 AM »

these 'new' finds are really cool, but that clip with the Al lead is absolutely amazing.
Great thread

Yeah, not bad, Dan.  Not sure I care about the droning durge, but it's obviously unfinished, and who knows what it would have become.  Nice vocal by Al there.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »

Huh huh huh huh.  Smilin' Ed and I were thinking of the same thing but have different opinions on it.  Happy New Year, Ed.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:34:16 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »

Quite a few things don't add up. The major one being a scholar like Mr. Doe, who has devoted his life to chronicling the works of the Beach Boys, has never heard October these works or this guy.

But stranger things have happened. Maybe the son or someone else is doing the videos and is getting the facts wrong.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2013, 01:28:23 PM »

these 'new' finds are really cool, but that clip with the Al lead is absolutely amazing.
Great thread

Yeah, not bad, Dan.  Not sure I care about the droning durge, but it's obviously unfinished, and who knows what it would have become.  Nice vocal by Al there.

I regard the tag as one of those little Beach Boys exquisities* that make me love them so much! Also, is that "dirge" version too fast? The voice handling the opening lines seems rather squeaky, always has.

* new word ⓒ Wee Helper
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:22:39 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »

I will respect your copyright. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »

John, I have your "copyright" right here!   Grin

ⓒ ⓒ

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »

!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:22:39 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2013, 02:54:33 PM »

Quite a few things don't add up. The major one being a scholar like Mr. Doe, who has devoted his life to chronicling the works of the Beach Boys, has never heard October these works or this guy.

But stranger things have happened. Maybe the son or someone else is doing the videos and is getting the facts wrong.

Implied kudos appreciated, but actually it proves nothing: "SOMS" came pretty well out of nowhere, likewise the Wild Honey version of "Surf's Up". It's the inconsistent detail that concerns me more... that and the undeniable fact that there are recent overdubs. I'd like to hear the original recordings.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »

Listen carefully to the organ on the "Al version" of Out in the Country:  the first few bars have a very similar chord progression to the tag of A Day in the Life of a Tree.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »

DonnyL: Can you tell if the "Out In The Country" backing vocals were recorded in the 70's?

I'm trying to pick out any BB's in there.. but I think I'm convinced its a wall of Goldbergs. Most of that track sounds pretty vintage though, so I'm wondering if he did the harmonies under Brian's supervision. Brian's voice was also kinda undetectable by that point, so who knows maybe he's in the stack somewhere.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2013, 04:39:11 PM »

DonnyL: Can you tell if the "Out In The Country" backing vocals were recorded in the 70's?

I'm trying to pick out any BB's in there.. but I think I'm convinced its a wall of Goldbergs. Most of that track sounds pretty vintage though, so I'm wondering if he did the harmonies under Brian's supervision. Brian's voice was also kinda undetectable by that point, so who knows maybe he's in the stack somewhere.

sounds like some vintage BBs in there to me ... but possibly Goldberg more than once as well. I don't think it was a full group session though. If I had to guess I think I hear Al and either Carl or Brian in there ... with maybe two Goldbergs, or other non-Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 05:30:46 PM by DonnyL » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2013, 05:13:13 PM »

Based on the opening line, I'm wondering if "Bitter and Sweet" is the same song as "Funky Fever", the track for which (according to the AFM contract), was cut at Bolec Studio in Inglewood on February 28, 1972, by Brian and David Sandler along with a handful of studio players?

Incidentally, the "artist" listed on that AFM, and the ones for "Out In The Country" from earlier that same month, is "BeachBoys"...my point being these were definitely cut with The Boys in mind.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 05:15:16 PM by c-man » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2013, 08:52:35 PM »

Implied kudos appreciated, but actually it proves nothing: "SOMS" came pretty well out of nowhere, likewise the Wild Honey version of "Surf's Up". It's the inconsistent detail that concerns me more... that and the undeniable fact that there are recent overdubs. I'd like to hear the original recordings.
Its not that the songs might have been buried, it's that Goldberg seems unheard of in any BB history. And that Brian would be collaborating with an unknown 21 year old. Just sayin. I'm still skeptical.

Also, he registered 4 cheesy sounding songs with BMI but not the song Mike Love of the Beach Boys recorded. Seems strange.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2013, 09:37:19 PM »

Al's vocal on "Out in the country" is so beautiful..

Would fit quite nicely on disc six of "Made in California"  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2013, 09:48:18 PM »

I made a comment the other day about Out In The Country that went overlooked, so I'll mention it again, as I'm curios if anybody else noticed this. Part of the background harmonies seems to be taken right from the coda of Wouldn't It Be Nice. SO much so, that I wonder if it wasn't actually sampled from the original WIBN Pet Sounds recording. Can anybody else hear it?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2013, 10:30:05 PM »

Its not that the songs might have been buried, it's that Goldberg seems unheard of in any BB history. And that Brian would be collaborating with an unknown 21 year old.

Like he did with David Sandler ?  Actually... I'll ask David if he remembers this guy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:33:50 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2013, 11:08:47 PM »

I think I prefer the dirge version...

Uh, yeah.

Also, yeah, Brian was actually pretty well known for his fleeting contributions with unknowns. "Teeter Totter Love", the country album he was helping a guy produce (can't think of the name off-hand), the "Amy" version of "Let The Wind Blow", etc. etc. etc. etc. Let's not forget his countless productions in the early 60s outside the Beach Boys too, although most of those folks were obviously a little more established.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2013, 11:11:07 PM »

the country album he was helping a guy produce (can't think of the name off-hand)

Fred Vail, u n00b.  *KOFF*

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »

Its not that the songs might have been buried, it's that Goldberg seems unheard of in any BB history. And that Brian would be collaborating with an unknown 21 year old.

Like he did with David Sandler ?  Actually... I'll ask David if he remembers this guy.

Exactly! You even know David Sandler.

SBonilla
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2013, 05:11:07 AM »

Exactly! You even know David Sandler.
I believe David Sandler was on Capitol and a couple of other labels as Rumbles Ltd. "Hey, Lenora" was the one I had.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2013, 05:18:38 AM »

Happy New Year to you too, Mikie! 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2013, 07:35:56 AM »

OK, had a quick word with David. Interesting. He remembers meeting DG at Brian's house a few times as someone who wanted to work with Brian. However, he wasn't aware of anything that was recorded at the home studio, and thus doesn't recall the tracks in question. Business as usual in the World of Wilson: one question answered, another one thrown up.

GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »

The problem I have with this being a hoax, however elaborate, is that it's early 70's era Beach Boys -to be brutally honest- outside of us hardcores, not many people are going to give a monkey's about some newly discovered outtake from that era. If you go to youtube, you can end up wading in Beatles fakes - I think there are about 6 different "Carnival of Light"s. It's not going to gather the attention for it to be a good hoax or trick or whatever, especially two that don't even claim or pretend to have Beach Boys singing lead on them.

That being said, for me, the part that stinks is the recent overdubs, there have been far sloppier outtakes (and official products) released by the band and for the sake of a few drum fills seems needless. The only thing I can think is that in the case of "Sweet and Bitter" especially, maybe a "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" job was done (Compiling a master out of loads of different sources) and what we have is something that bares little resemblance to what the intended outcome was to be when it was recorded.

Or a trick of editing where there is more on the track than actually exists (recent overdubs, copying of recorded parts, etc). No one 40-odd years down the line is going to remember an afternoon spent recording a rough vocal to a rough track which was never completed. For example, the Bridge/Chorus section sounds quite alike on both passes (the double track slipping ever so slightly out of sync on  "It" on "It's meant to be" both times.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2013, 09:38:16 AM »

OK, had a quick word with David. Interesting. He remembers meeting DG at Brian's house a few times as someone who wanted to work with Brian. However, he wasn't aware of anything that was recorded at the home studio, and thus doesn't recall the tracks in question. Business as usual in the World of Wilson: one question answered, another one thrown up.

Ok, so at least the dude is confirmed to have known Brian during the time period in question.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »

Ok, so at least the dude is confirmed to have known Brian during the time period in question.
Yes. So he is the real deal, as is the music. Thanks to Mr. Doe for the investigation!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx