gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:40:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aloha From Hawaii - 40th anniversary in January  (Read 11136 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »

One of the most famous concerts in pop music history is about to celebrate it's 40th anniversary. Elvis - Aloha From Hawaii

http://www.elvis.com/aloha/default.aspx

If you want to be part of a fan mosaic, check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy82B2_2wXo

As mentioned here Sony's Legacy label will release a two disc edition of the show later this year not unlike last year's fabulous "Prince from another planet".
This is the info that we have at the moment:

Disc 1 The Original Album (REMASTERED)

Disc 2 The January 12th. Dress Rehearsal + 5 bonus tracks (REMIXED und REMASTERED von Steve Rosenthal und Rob Santos)

24 page booklet with rare photos and new liner notes.

Tracklisting disc: 1

1. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme From 2001: A Space Odyssey)

2. See See Rider

3. Burning Love

4. Something

5. You Gave Me A Mountain

6. Steamroller Blues

7. My Way

8. Love Me

9. Johnny B. Goode

10. It's Over

11. Blue Suede Shoes

12. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

13. I Can't Stop Loving You

14. Hound Dog

15. What Now My Love

16. Fever

17. Welcome To My World

18. Suspicious Minds

19. Introductions by Elvis

20. I'll Remember You

21. Medley: Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

22. An American Trilogy

23. A Big Hunk O' Love

24. Can't Help Falling In Love

Tracklisting disc: 2

2. See See Rider

3. Burning Love

4. Something

6. Steamroller Blues

7. My Way

8. Love Me

9. Johnny B. Goode

10. It's Over

11. Blue Suede Shoes

14. Hound Dog

15. What Now My Love

16. Fever

17. Welcome To My World

18. Suspicious Minds

20. I'll Remember You

21. Medley: Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

22. An American Trilogy

23. A Big Hunk O' Love

25. Blue Hawaii (Bonus Song)

26. Ku-U-I-Po (Bonus Song)

27. No More (Bonus Song)

28. Hawaiian Wedding Song (Bonus Song)

29. Early Morning Rain (Bonus Song)

It seems that amazon (or whoever gave them this traclist) made a mistake, because Johnny B. Goode, I Can`t Stop Loving You and Long Tall Sally / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On weren't played at the dress rehearsal show.

To read a very good article about "Aloha" that for a change doesn't look at it through rose colored glasses, go here:

Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii …Demystifying an Elvis Myth

To get a look at some performances I looked for uploads on youtube:

Jan. 12th Steamroller Blues - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VXr6U-BwMs

Jan. 12th What Now My Love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpjKlOM7KQ4

Jan. 14th Burning Love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zuvm2yqFFw

Jan. 14th My Way - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aliSKqFIZPc

Two press conferences were held to announce the TV special.

Sept. 4th 1972, Las Vegas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deGBoEjAGy4

Nov. 20th 1972, Hawaii - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7VLlgnU9OY

Unfortunately he seems stoned to death on the latter one.

Both shows and the footage of the 5 bonus songs are available on DVD, although it looks as if amazon is out of stock. I wouldn't be surprised if 2013 will see the "re-release" of this DVD set.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »

Certainly a decent performance-with some nice moments-but I share the views expressed in Peter Guaralnick's majestic Biography:  Basically for all the pomp and circumstance at this show-there is just a lot less excitement, joy of performing and energy in evidence than in the 68 Special or the 1970 Vegas shows.  Some great melodramatic ballads though
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »

Certainly a decent performance-with some nice moments-but I share the views expressed in Peter Guaralnick's majestic Biography:  Basically for all the pomp and circumstance at this show-there is just a lot less excitement, joy of performing and energy in evidence than in the 68 Special or the 1970 Vegas shows.  Some great melodramatic ballads though

The ballads are sung fantastic. Some of the rock stuff is very good as well, See See Rider, Burning Love, Steamroller Blues. Unfortunately the oldie-rock songs are throwaway versions (Blue suede shoes, Hound dog, A big hunk o' love and the medley Long tall Sally/Whole lotta shakin'...). Imo he shouldn't have done them. Maybe some other songs that are also as well-loved as the mentioned ones but would spark some more fire in Elvis would've been better.
Guralnick and certain other people (Ernst Jorgensen) tend a little to talk the 70s down because they don't like them personally. Yet some of his best stuff comes from the 70s. But yeah, you definitely can see that not everything was okay at this point. Especially if you compare it with "Elvis on tour" which was shot not even a year before Aloha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTQdZ0py8w4

I don't know what exactly happened between this and Aloha but I guess it was the beginning of the unstoppable tragic end.

Still, "That's the way it is" is boss. Would've been great to see him as healthy and energetic as then.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »

Well I think what those authors point out is that when Elvis was truly engaged with the material he could still get inspired and really deliver a sublime performance (Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues, It's Midnight, Hurt, It's Still Here, etc) but that he no longer seemed willing to really play with a song for multiple takes and try to make something out of mediocre material-unlike the 60s (non-soundtrack) material-where he often delivered exquisite  performances on songs that in anyone else's hands would be dismissed as pure sentimental tripe-he had a way of investing such material with way more emotional weight.  If you read about the 70s sessions-he often seemed more interested in doing karate demonstrations or clowning than really working.  Compare the accounts of him at American in 69 to him at Stax in 73-it was a different man! In 69 he worked on those songs-for tons of takes-all night till he was hoarse.  By 73 you either captured the performance on the first few takes or that was it!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:57:03 PM »

Compare the accounts of him at American in 69 to him at Stax in 73-it was a different man! In 69 he worked on those songs-for tons of takes-all night till he was hoarse.

He was hoarse on the beginning of the sessions because he had a cold. But I see what you mean and I agree. What my point was though, is that the 70s often get a bad rap and it seems mostly just because they were the 70s and not the 50s. But fact is that Elvis did a ton of great stuff in the 70s. It seems many times that people just can not accept that Elvis was much more than just Rock'n'Roll.
Sure, he got kinda lazy but that happens to many people when they reach a certain age. Look at Brian Wilson. Plus Presley (and Brian too of course) was a sick human being. But I don't care if he joked around more at his sessions than making music as long as the recordings are cool. Just listen to FTD's "Hits of the 70s", what a great album!

But it should be noted that Jorgensen for example writes in "A life in music" at some points that Elvis was frustrated, hating this or that song a.s.o., because of some statements that Elvis made at the sessions. Jorgensen then uses those quotes to show that 70s Elvis wasn't into it or whatever. But when you listen to those parts on FTD's releases you see that Presley was just making fun and not frustrated.

To be honest, the working method of "capturing a good performance either on the first few takes or that was it" is not very unlike the way he worked with Sam Phillips at Sun. It was about spontaneity. I have the feeling that Elvis lost a little sight of the musicians. He often delivered great performances on very early takes. That was his goal; to go out with a feeling that he had done a great job. The musicians on the other hand could've needed more time and takes to come up with new ideas and licks. And maybe he didn't cncentrate on that anymore. Or not as much as he had in earlier years. What he needed imo was someone who told him the truth when something didn't hold up to a certain degree of quality. Felton Jarvis was a nice guy I guess but he was a "yes"-man as were most around Elvis. It's one thing if you are one of his buddies but Jarvis was his co-producer and therefor should've been more critical and not hold back with that.

That said, you can't argue very much when the result was something like the great "Promised land"-album. It's different with the "Raised on Rock" LP, though.

Anyway, back to Aloha:

Boxcar Enterprises in association with JAT Publishing will release a 40th Year Anniversary special book, in celebration of Elvis’ iconic ‘Aloha from Hawaii’ titled, “Elvis – Aloha via Satellite” in February 2013.

This massive most comprehensive 450 page volume is packaged and housed the same as Boxcar’s previous outing of “Elvis Presley’s Graceland through the Years” released earlier this year.

The text book comprises of hundreds upon hundreds of photographs many of which have never before been seen. Also collected here exclusively are scores of historical memorabilia and the Colonels original internal documents and scripts. This is intended to create a time-travel experience of sorts documenting the most groundbreaking event in the annals of television history.

On January 14th 1973 “Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii - Via Satellite” was the first live concert to be televised live with a global viewing audience of 1.5 Billion. An audience larger than man's first landing on the moon!

From the ‘making of’ to the show itself, the reader enjoys reliving the magic of this extraordinary event and is sufficiently reminded that 1,500,000,000 Elvis fans can't be wrong!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:00:56 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »

I haven't seen this DVD in many years, but I remember watching it was a little bit sad. You can tell he's starting his decline, especially when compared to the '68 special and the footage from the International in Vegas in '69. He's sweaty and he seems slightly drugged.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »

I haven't seen this DVD in many years, but I remember watching it was a little bit sad. You can tell he's starting his decline, especially when compared to the '68 special and the footage from the International in Vegas in '69.

I guess you mean '70. Unfortunately there are no known professional movies from '69.

He's sweaty

So he is in '68, '70 and '72. That certainly was just normal. Those suits were heavy, the lights were hot and he was often moving around wildly (not during Aloha) and working hard.

and he seems slightly drugged

I'm sure he was. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as during the press conference in November '72 (see my first posting for a link).
As mentioned before, the highlights of the show mostly are the ballads like "It's over"  and melodramatic songs like "An american trilogy" etc. Those are so great. But at this point he was giving just throwaway versions of most of his early classics.

- Jack Rieley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 05:08:23 PM »

I haven't seen this DVD in many years, but I remember watching it was a little bit sad. You can tell he's starting his decline, especially when compared to the '68 special and the footage from the International in Vegas in '69.

I guess you mean '70. Unfortunately there are no known professional movies from '69.

He's sweaty

So he is in '68, '70 and '72. That certainly was just normal. Those suits were heavy, the lights were hot and he was often moving around wildly (not during Aloha) and working hard.

and he seems slightly drugged

I'm sure he was. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as during the press conference in November '72 (see my first posting for a link).
As mentioned before, the highlights of the show mostly are the ballads like "It's over"  and melodramatic songs like "An american trilogy" etc. Those are so great. But at this point he was giving just throwaway versions of most of his early classics.

I think those costumes made him sweaty. One thing I remember about the Aloha special video is that his belt buckle looked like the kind of thing people attach to themselves to help lose weight. The jumpsuits were heavy fabric, too. 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:04:45 PM »

You make good points Rocker-but I think Guaralnick makes clear that the frustration Jorgenson discussed had to do with the whole set-up of EP sessions.  To get a song to Elvis was next to impossible and if an artist wanted EP to cut his song-they had to give up the publishing (which you may recall from the book-led to a huge blow-up with Jerry Reed at the Guitar Man sessions-which just about ruined the mood of everyone there)...This wasn't EP's doing, but it was how his management worked.  Usually songs only came to Elvis from the publishing catalogue of Freddie Bienstock and as the 60s progressed into the 70s he sent EP more dogs than winners-indeed they discuss one session in I think 71 (haven't read it in awhile) where EP spent part of the session throwing the demos he'd been sent by Freddie against the wall because he hated them all.  EP usually brought 3 or 4 songs with him that he wanted to sing but by 73 he seldom showed much enthusiasm for anything submitted by his management-which was frustrating for RCA and Jarvis-because sometimes it meant he'd storm out after recording the 3 or 4 songs he liked when they were hoping he'd record 15 sides!  And one could understand their angst-often EP recorded a song he loved-but one that wouldn't make it as a single (I love his 66 Love Letters-but that had already been a hit years before for other artists and a soft ballad, however exquisite, by EP in 1966 was clearly not single material)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 02:56:11 PM »

You make good points Rocker-but I think Guaralnick makes clear that the frustration Jorgenson discussed had to do with the whole set-up of EP sessions.  To get a song to Elvis was next to impossible and if an artist wanted EP to cut his song-they had to give up the publishing (which you may recall from the book-led to a huge blow-up with Jerry Reed at the Guitar Man sessions-which just about ruined the mood of everyone there)...This wasn't EP's doing, but it was how his management worked.  Usually songs only came to Elvis from the publishing catalogue of Freddie Bienstock and as the 60s progressed into the 70s he sent EP more dogs than winners-indeed they discuss one session in I think 71 (haven't read it in awhile) where EP spent part of the session throwing the demos he'd been sent by Freddie against the wall because he hated them all.  EP usually brought 3 or 4 songs with him that he wanted to sing but by 73 he seldom showed much enthusiasm for anything submitted by his management-which was frustrating for RCA and Jarvis-because sometimes it meant he'd storm out after recording the 3 or 4 songs he liked when they were hoping he'd record 15 sides!  And one could understand their angst-often EP recorded a song he loved-but one that wouldn't make it as a single (I love his 66 Love Letters-but that had already been a hit years before for other artists and a soft ballad, however exquisite, by EP in 1966 was clearly not single material)

Yeah, sure. It was common practice and probably the right way in the 50s and part of the 60s. But times had changed so much in the 70s that they should've went a different way. But the one to blame the most is Elvis himself. If he knew that he didn't get the best songs by his publishers he should've done something about it. He said that he'd record any song if it's good and that it doesn't have to be owned by his company, and there are examples where he did exactly that. But I think there's no question that something should've been changed and it would have to be initiated by Elvis.

"Love letters" (the '66 version) is imo one of the very best recordings of his whole career. I don't necessarily agree that it wasn't single material, though. Just take a look at "Crying in the chapel".

Interestingly "Aloha from Hawaii" was shown twice on german TV in the last two weeks

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »

Some may know that the Aloha special originally was planned for November '72 and japanese TV recorded some of Elvis' shows then.

Click here for stlists for the three shows

Here is some footage:

November 17, 1972 8.30pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UmC_or_xoU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3r4L_Mb2fE

Part 3 isn't online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD9XC_mNIcw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUbJvWGNY5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSaP66JsgSg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv7vJvl6UYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz1xAGvPiD8&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=19

Different camera angles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvuqR5f40IU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMXy6rne03s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxnnGka6TwA

November 18, 1972 2.30pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZm81zTkOU&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=18

Part 2 isn't online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_FV3zzbNqw&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFKobcjhoJc&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vc9vCS4bbU&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtoLcez5HKU&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=14

Different footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcAWIfaAMYQ&list=UUtJeck0XuaVVibOxIuVF00Q&index=68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLcDmCf2MSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpxU2lHr8QI

Different footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpPRgKqsYx8&list=UUtJeck0XuaVVibOxIuVF00Q

November 18, 1972 8.30pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBJtSC0xOG4&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7IpgnySrVA&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpTcA0Q2H8U&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6Qxxt0KiM&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF59-xTsnIw&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOFbutKZzqA&list=UU2r4X6Y-v1WZoY850CIAAuw&index=8

Different footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D-c0Xp8izc&list=UUtJeck0XuaVVibOxIuVF00Q&index=65

Hound Dog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgoaKdBoO_c&list=UUtJeck0XuaVVibOxIuVF00Q&index=63

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUAWch875JY

- Jack Rieley
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 08:23:05 AM »

Wasn't ALOHA aired (more or less) live overseas then shown on American television (NBC) a few months later? The NBC version included several post-concert recordings that included Hawaiian footage, etc.

Elvis seemed to approach ALOHA from the POV of a "pure singer" - there's much less interaction with the audience than in ELVIS ON TOUR (Spring 1972 tour) although IMO Elvis looks much healthier here (early 73) than ON TOUR.

General agreement that THAT'S THE WAY IT IS represents the best of this era- he was a happier man in 1970, and it shows.   
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »

Wasn't ALOHA aired (more or less) live overseas then shown on American television (NBC) a few months later? The NBC version included several post-concert recordings that included Hawaiian footage, etc.

Yep, he recorded 5 (?) songs that were included for the american broadcast. I believe that broadcast was in July or June. Think the Colonel didn't want it to interfere with "Elvis on tour" that was cureently in cinemas.

Elvis seemed to approach ALOHA from the POV of a "pure singer" - there's much less interaction with the audience than in ELVIS ON TOUR (Spring 1972 tour) although IMO Elvis looks much healthier here (early 73) than ON TOUR.

Yeah, I agree. He even looked better in Madison Square Garden '72 - after he got a tan - than in "On tour".
I seem to remember that there was a time limit for Aloha and that he only had so and so many minutes for the show.

- Jack Rieley
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »

God I wish Elvis had fired Parker and hooked up with a better manager in the 70's.

Then again, Elvis did can  Parker  for a brief period in 1974, but quickly came to the realization one never gets someone like Parker out of their life - it would have been in court forever, with the potential for all sorts of dirty laundry being aired.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:52:45 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »

God I wish Elvis had fired Parker and hooked up with a better manager in the 70's.

Well, as for the 70s (or the late 70s) yeah, I kinda agree. But much of what went wrong was because of Elvis himself and his addiction and poor health and not because of Parker. As many people (including the Colonel) said, "No one told Elvis Presley what to do".

Elvis Presley's 'Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite: Legacy Edition' Double CD Coming March 19th

ELVIS PRESLEY'S ALOHA FROM HAWAII VIA SATELLITE: LEGACY EDITION COMMEMORATES 40th ANNIVERSARY OF LANDMARK CONCERTS

DOUBLE-CD PACKAGE CELEBRATES PIVOTAL MOMENT IN STORIED CAREER

CD ONE: Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite, remastered edition of soundtrack from world’s first full-length concert satellite broadcast of January 1973;

CD TWO: The Rehearsal Show, remixed and remastered edition of early ‘dress rehearsal’ show

PLUS: 5 bonus songs recorded at 3 a.m. in behind-closed-doors session

Latest entry in Sony Music’s ‘Legacy Edition’ series available everywhere March 19, 2013, through RCA/Legacy

The 40th anniversary of the historic one-hour satellite broadcast of Elvis Presley from the Honolulu International Center Arena in January 1973, viewed by over 1.5 billion people worldwide, is now commemorated with the release of ALOHA FROM HAWAII VIA SATELLITE: LEGACY EDITION. This deluxe double-CD package will be available everywhere March 19, 2013, through RCA/Legacy, a division of SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

ALOHA FROM HAWAII VIA SATELLITE: LEGACY EDITION marks the first time that both shows performed by Elvis, as released separately in 1973 (the original double-LP Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite) and 1988 (the CD The Alternate Aloha), have been coupled together in one package. At the same time, the show that The Alternate Aloha was based on has been completely remixed from the original multi-track tapes.

Accompanying the two-CD set will be a booklet with rare photos and a new liner notes essay written by BBC presenter, producer and musician Stuart Colman. This new Legacy Edition was produced by Rob Santos and Ernst Mikael Jørgensen, who along with Roger Semon, are the respected directors of RCA’s Elvis catalog for over two decades.

“Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite” was the first time that a full-length concert was broadcast around the world and it was the most expensive up until then.

Over 6,000 fans were in attendance for both shows at the H.I.C. (now known as the Blaisdell Arena). His love for Hawaii had first been demonstrated in March 1961, when he raised $62,000 with a concert at the Bloch Arena, toward the funding of the USS Arizona Memorial.

The “Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite” show that was actually broadcast was a second show, that started at 12:30 a.m. in Hawaii on Sunday morning, January 14, 1973. Clearly at the top of his game, Elvis delivered a 24-song tour de force that pulled songs from every phase of his career. It was a painstaking process to develop material that did not duplicate very much of his Live At Madison Square Garden concerts of June 1972 (as heard on RCA/Legacy’s most recent Prince From Another Planet commemorative 2-CD+DVD package, released November 2012). Nor did Elvis want to duplicate very much of his then-current MGM theatrical release, Elvis On Tour, filmed in March-April 1972, the Golden Globe award-winning film which turned out to be the final motion picture of his lifetime.

Following the 12:30 show, at about 3:00 a.m., the ensemble regrouped (without an audience) to record five additional songs exclusively for the U.S. broadcast, four of which originated on Elvis’ old Blue Hawaii movie soundtrack of 1961: “Blue Hawaii,” “Ku-U-I-Po,” “No More,” and “Hawaiian Wedding Song.” The fifth was Gordon Lightfoot’s “Early Morning Rain,” emblematic of the contemporary folk-rock singer-songwriter boom to which Elvis was surprisingly well attuned in the ’70s.

“Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite” was broadcast to more than 40 nations, and broke viewing records in Japan, the Philippines, Korea, Hong Kong and Australia. Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite, the double-LP containing all 24 songs from the broadcast, was rush released to arrive in stores the first week of February, 1973. It debuted in the February 24th Billboard 200 albums chart, and sold a half-million units in its first four weeks. The single from the concert, Elvis’ version of James Taylor’s “Steamroller Blues,” debuted in April and reached the Top 20, selling in excess of 400,000 copies, #10 in Cashbox and #17 in Billboard.

In the U.S., the broadcast was in fact postponed so as not to conflict with MGM’s Elvis On Tour. When “Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite” was finally aired in the U.S. on April 4th, the Nielsen ratings had the show in 33.8% of homes and reaching 51% of those watching television. The double-LP immediately vaulted up the charts, taking the #1 spot in Billboard’s May 5th issue, knocking Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon out of the top spot. It stayed on the chart for 52 weeks, and was certified 5-times platinum by the RIAA. The album was Elvis’ first #1 since the Roustabout movie soundtrack from January 1965.

It was not generally known at the time that the Friday evening (January 12th) dress rehearsal had also been recorded, as a safety backup. Fifteen years later in June 1988 (more than a decade after Elvis’ death), the show was finally issued on CD as The Alternate Aloha.

In early 1973, Elvis Presley was performing at one of the highest peaks of his career, and ALOHA FROM HAWAII VIA SATELLITE is proof positive of that. As Ernst Mikael Jørgensen writes in his essential research guide, Elvis Presley: A Life In Music (St. Martin’s Press, 1998): “The immense pressure of being beamed live to one billion people didn’t seem to faze Elvis a great deal; showing little evidence of nerves, he was highly focused, and he executed a flawless set that sparkled with all the flash of his image. The unparalleled media attention and size of the audience, not to mention the worldwide number one album that followed, were perhaps the most effective statement ever engineered of one artist’s worldwide power.”

ALOHA FROM HAWAII VIA SATELLITE: LEGACY EDITION by ELVIS PRESLEY
(RCA/Legacy 88765 43389 2 1)

Disc 1: The “broadcast” [second] show recorded January 14, 1973 (originally issued February 1973, as Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite, RCA 6089)
Selections:
2. See See Rider
3. Burning Love
4. Something
6. Steamroller Blues
7. My Way
8. Love Me
9. Johnny B. Goode
10. It's Over
11. Blue Suede Shoes
14. Hound Dog
15. What Now My Love
16. Fever
17. Welcome To My World
18. Suspicious Minds
20. I'll Remember You
21. Medley: Long Tall Sally/ Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
22. An American Trilogy
23. A Big Hunk O' Love

Disc 2: The “dress rehearsal” [first] show recorded January 12, 1973 (originally issued June 1988, as The Alternate Aloha, RCA 6985)
Selections:
2. See See Rider
3. Burning Love
4. Something
6. Steamroller Blues
7. My Way
8. Love Me
9. It's Over
10. Blue Suede Shoes
11. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
12. Hound Dog
13. What Now My Love
14. Fever
15. Welcome To My World
16. Suspicious Minds
17. Introductions by Elvis
18. I'll Remember You
19. An American Trilogy
20. A Big Hunk O' Love
21. Can't Help Falling In Love
22. Closing Riff
Bonus songs:
23. Blue Hawaii
24. Ku-U-I-Po
25. No More
26. Hawaiian Wedding Song
27. Early Morning Rain

Source: elvisthemusic.com

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 10:03:12 AM »

This is awesome!
The Hawaii-exhibit at Graceland features footage of Elvis performing in Hawaii in  '57; in color!! Look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hfVP2DS1wwk

To learn about the origin of the footage click here:

http://scottymoore.net/KEMoore.html

And while we're at it, listen here to his '61 performance (one of only two) in Hawaii.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG4TGPrc_Bw

EDIT:

Now we also know, which song it is that Elvis performs in that footage. Someone overdubbed a live recording (I believe from the '61 concert) onto the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9E9z9B2KUmk
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:11:26 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 05:53:05 AM »

Just heard that John Wilkinson, rhythm guitar player in the TCB band, died.

http://elvisnews.com/news.aspx/john-wilkinson-passed-away/14127
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:02:35 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 09:03:23 AM »

When Elvis Said 'Aloha' From Hawaii, The World Watched

On January 14, 1973, Elvis Presley made history as the first solo entertainer to hold a live concert broadcast internationally via satellite. More than a billion people from more than 40 countries across Asia and Europe tuned in to watch "Aloha from Hawaii." Weekends on All Things Considered host Jacki Lyden talks to Elvis aficionados, including fans who witnessed the rock 'n' roll king when he took the crown to be a true worldwide phenomenon.

Listen or read the transcript here: http://www.npr.org/2013/01/06/168747077/when-elvis-said-aloha-from-hawaii-the-world-watched

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 04:04:51 AM »

Saw this DVD at my local music store, looks like a great show.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »

It definitely is cool. You just shouldn't expect a rock-show because that's not what he wanted to bring across. As mentioned, to me the highlights are the ballads and dramatic songs; they are just sung fantastic. It's great entertainment. And of course he handpicked himself a band that's full of A-musicians. Just don't expect a "That's the way it is" or "Elvis on tour" - Elvis

Here's a nice video someone did in tribute to the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trDJ1_13fvQ
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:24:51 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 10:58:12 AM »

Here's some more footage of the '57 show plus some from '61 (not live) and '68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nrsaZB7FnmU

- Jack Rieley
halblaineisgood
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:17:19 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 05:46:38 AM »

Listen to sound samples here:

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/aloha-from-hawaii-via-satellite/1000004013459657/#product_tracklists

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 05:40:02 AM »

Here's more infos about the book release by Boxcar which I found on the "For Elvis CD Collectors"-Forum.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TWabw4CkWXY

This massive, most comprehensive
450 page Hardback
volume is packaged with hundreds
of photographs
many of which have never
before been seen.

Also collected here exclusively,
are scores of historical memorabilia as
well as the Colonels original
internal documents and
scripts that explores the
making of this historical
event from the early plans
all the way to
the many RCA releases that
followed from around the world.

This, with the informative text
included in this release is
intended to create a
time-travel experience
of sorts documenting the
most groundbreaking
event in the annals of
television history

Boxcar Enterprises
will finally release its long
anticipated title
RELEASED June 3rd 2013

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2022, 10:07:32 AM »

Well, I usually don't post news about upcoming FTD releases often but I thought in this case it may be interesting even for no-fans:

The Follow That Dream collectors label announced the February 2022 release of 'Aloha From Hawaii', a 3-CD-set. The label also stated that 'The Making of Jailhouse Rock', which was released December 2021, has 'Sold Out'.

From the press-release: When seeking key career highpoints, Elvis’ multi-faceted musical legacy certainly divides opinion amongst fans and critics alike. However, if one goes by the sales and the audience viewing numbers too, there is only one answer. Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite.

RCA’s double album of the show was released throughout the world in February and shot to the #1 spot in many countries including the U.S. The album went to #1 on the Billboard album chart and reigned supreme from late February until late October, re-entering in late December for another two months. Today in the U.S. the album stands at 5.5 million sales and is certified 5x Platinum by the RIAA.

To acknowledge this achievement, FTD is proud to present an upgraded re-release of Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite utilizing the talents of successful Memphian recording engineer Matt-Ross Spang who has newly remixed the original broadcasted show and the after-concert 3:00 AM crowd-less masters including rehearsal performances for the first time. Also included is the Sony Legacy 2013 remix of the rehearsal show form January 12.

Packaged in our ‘sessions’ style 8” x 8” slipcase, this deluxe 3-CD contains a 28-page color booklet, great photos, memorabilia and insightful essay.

CD 1: Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme From 2001: A Space Odyssey) - See See Rider - Burning Love - Something - You Gave Me A Mountain - Steamroller Blues - My Way - Love Me - Johnny B. Goode - It’s Over - Blue Suede Shoes - I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry - I Can’t Stop Loving You - Hound Dog - What Now My Love - Fever - Welcome To My World - Suspicious Minds - Introductions By Elvis - I’ll Remember You - Long Tall Sally / Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On - An American Trilogy - A Big Hunk O’ Love - Can’t Help Falling In Love - Closing Vamp

Recorded live at the Honolulu International Center Arena, January 14, 1973.

Disc 2: Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme From 2001: A Space Odyssey) - See See Rider - Burning Love - Something - You Gave Me A Mountain - Steamroller Blues - My Way - Love Me - It’s Over - Blue Suede Shoes - I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hound Dog - What Now My Love - Fever - Welcome To My World - Suspicious Minds - Introductions By Elvis - I’ll Remember You - An American Trilogy - A Big Hunk O’ Love - Can’t Help Falling In Love - Closing Vamp

Recorded live at the Honolulu International Center Arena, January 12, 1973.

Disc 3 - Bonus Songs: Blue Hawaii (Rehearsal, Take 1 - 2) - Ku-U-I-Po (Rehearsal) - Ku-U-I-Po (Take 1) - Ku-U-I-Po (Take 2 - Incomplete) - Ku-U-I-Po (Take 3 - Incomplete) - Ku-U-I-Po (Take 4) - No More (Take 1  - Incomplete) - No More (Take 2 - Rehearsal) - No More (Take 3) - No More (Take 4) - Hawaiian Wedding Song (Take 1) - Hawaiian Wedding Song (Rehearsal) - Hawaiian Wedding Song (Take 2) - Hawaiian Wedding Song (Take 3) - Early Morning Rain (Take 1) - Early Morning Rain (Take 2)

Recorded live without an audience at the Honolulu International Center Arena, January 14, 1973.

Source:Elvis Day By Day, ElvisNews

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx