gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681574 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 17, 2024, 02:00:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cabin Essence: Optimistic or Melancholic Song?  (Read 1379 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:52:08 AM »

Listening to takes 2-5 of the tag in stereo, Cabin Essence seems a lot darker than I recall it from other versions. The ending has a feel of being taken to a dark place, a similar feel to 'Fire'. I can imagine a listener being spooked by the full stereo effect. Beautiful of course but I can't hear it as anything other than a haunted sound.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 10:37:39 AM »

Two of the topics addressed are the subjugation of the Chinese workers and the genocide of the native American, both as a consequence of the transcontinental railroad. Darkness for sure.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rogerlancelot
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »

To me now it makes me feel kind of cold (temperature-wise) and makes me yawn while kind of giggling. No wait, that's the mushrooms I ate earlier. I'll have to listen to it again after I come back down.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 03:06:36 PM »

Impressionistic art-song, where the listener brings their own perspective to the images painted by VDP and the sublime collision of musical elements welded together by BW. Whether its optimistic or melancholic is in the mind/ear/soul of the audience, IMO. This listener hears the nostalgia of intimacy in the "Home on the Range" section, with what might be "flashbacks" to scenes/situations that occurred at or near the site of the "protagonist" (as represented in Carl's lead vocal). One of the absolute pinnacles of BW's oeuvre, arguably more astonishing and accomplished than GV or SU.

(Apologies if this seems like a cop-out vis-a-vis the question.)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »

I'm going to say optimistic.  

Cabin Essence is lyrically evocative with it's descriptions of wheatfields under the twilight of a shifting cosmos; an inviting sanctuary for the world weary- and thematically speaks to the desire for moments of solitary existence.  Cabin Essence eschews a modern cosmopolitan lifestyle, and looks to wide open spaces to provide a respite.

The WRTIH & GCD sequences consider the costs (human and environmental) of the above themes incurred in the Great expansion of the United States, and beyond. (I'll assume  VDP was interested in themes of Colonialism (Do You like Worms lyrics) and perhaps this inspired the group to later address similar concerns (as evidenced in the Trader w/lyrics by Jack R, Al's Looking down the coast)).

While the lyrics are a mixed bag tending towards the dark, the music and backing vox are sublime and definitely uplifting - everything from the doyns to the metallic clinks - it's a powerful and moving piece that considers the peaceful and solitary, and juxtaposes them against the unstoppable collective forces of human progress.

Sounds pessimistic, but think of it optimistically; we now have a roadmap for the future - we can find peace and sanctuary, as long as we learn from the considerable costs of colonial crimes and control our progress.  A bit hippie, but a theme mirrored amongst many songs and stories that want a happy outcome for humans.

Great song.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:57:31 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 10:29:27 PM »

well, I think Don is right but for me it's not 'melancholic' but it is spooky; and I think slightly sinister; the sound of an inhuman technology overunning a simple, bucolic existence; juxtaposed with an dispassionate alien point of view at the end.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 05:08:52 AM »

Are the cellos meant to represent the sound of a train?

There's an element of Duke Ellington in there to my ears, where he uses instruments to create things in the environment which have a menacing edge. 'Rite of Spring' too (which I also hear in The Elements and Three Blind Mice).
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 11:08:14 AM »

it's both optimistic and melancholic.
this, to me, is the best piece of Smile.
a cinematic trip, awesome in every way.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx