gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:06:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer on Signal Hill  (Read 2139 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2012, 05:53:23 AM »

Anybody ever heard this great instrumental track from the early 90's? I remember quite a few notable musicians playing thier parts, like Bon Jovi and Winston Marsellis, on a tune writtenby Springsteen about the time he lived behind the old Garden State Arts Center in Jersey. The Beach Boys part was an accapella section that lasted for about 15 seconds or so.....it was magnificent, though it was hard to distinguish who exactly sang on it. I remember readng somewhere that it was the Jardines and Carl Wilson, but as brilliant as it was, I could never distinguish any of the voices. Anybody know?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 05:55:24 AM »

Never heard anything about this....  Shocked

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 06:00:14 AM »

http://youtu.be/AoGg100Y_CE

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 07:27:21 AM »

I can pick out Al and Matt.  I recall reading at the time (early 90's?) they recorded on this, not sure about Carl.  I believe this also appaered on Max Weinberg's solo album

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 07:37:47 AM »

Thanks! It's great that even now I get to know "new" Beach Boys stuff.
After my first listen to this I can say that I hear Al and Mike. I also think that I can hear Carl in the background (and Bruce might be there too). The high voice doesn't sound like Matt to me but I'm not sure about that. It also doesn't sound like Baker. Maybe Jeff?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 07:57:40 AM »

Carl, Al and Matt get the crdit at this Springsteen site :  http://www.springsteenlyrics.com/lyrics/s/summeronsignalhill.php   

>>   When Bruce Springsteen temporary disbanded The E Street Band in 1989, drummer Max Weinberg decided to enter law school, following in his father's career footsteps. "All I had was an advanced degree in Bruce Springsteen music, and the market for used drummers was slim," he said at the time; still, he made it into law school but didn't stay long.

In 1990, Weinberg started his own record label, the New Jersey based Hard Ticket Entertainment. The following year he produced and drummed on the label's first title, Scene Of The Crime, an album by Killer Joe, a New York group Weinberg put together. This was the only album the group ever released, and it featured two rare tracks written by Bruce Springsteen: the instrumental SUMMER ON SIGNAL HILL (only otherwise released by Clarence Clemons in 1983) and CLUB SOUL CITY (only otherwise released by Gary U.S. Bonds in 1982). Scene Of The Crime was released on 08 Oct 1991.

Killer Joe consisted of "Killer" Joe Delia, Max Weinberg, Jimmy Vivino, Haywood Gregory, David Keyes, Mark "Love Man" Pender, Jerry Vivino, Bob Smith, and Erik Lawrence. Their version of SUMMER ON SIGNAL HILL featured a large cast of guests: Liz Mann (flute), Steven Van Zandt (guitar solo), Jon Bon Jovi (acoustic guitar), Branford Marsalis (tenor sax solo), Benmont Tench (Hammond organ), The Beach Boys' Carl Wilson, Al Jardine, and introducing Matt Jardine (vocal harmony), and The Orchestra of St. Luke's under the direction of Julius Rudel.

Max Weinberg's liner notes from the Scene Of The Crime album: "Bruce wrote Summer On Signal Hill which the E Street Band played but never recorded. I always wanted to cut the tune, so the Killer Joe band did, with guest shots from Little Steven, Branford, Jon Bon Jovi, Benmont Tench from Tom Petty's band, the Heartbreakers, the Beach Boys (who I saw for the first time in 1963), and the wonderful musicians of the Orchestra of St. Luke's under the direction of Julius Rudel. This song brought together people from varied musical orientations to benefit the Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America organization. On behalf of the boys and girls and BB/BSA we thank you for your support."    <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 07:59:43 AM »

Carl, Al and Matt get the crdit at this Springsteen site : 

Wow, I should've checked my ears....

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx