gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681574 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 17, 2024, 03:00:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A very Rutle-y Christmas present!  (Read 1509 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2012, 10:24:39 PM »

Thought someone here might enjoy this........ I decided recently to use Rutles, Bonzos and Flames material to try and construct a full length "Sgt. Rutter's Only Darts Club Band" LP.  (Other Beatle fans suggested I should make it crackly and mono, to add an air of legitimacy!  Cheesy)  The goal obviously being to find an equivalent for every Beatles song.  Well, in time for Christmas, here's a complete side one!
http://www.mediafire.com/?8lqtvow1la4v63e

01) Major Happy's Up and Coming Once Upon A Good Time Band [Nasty/McQuickly]
02) Nevertheless [Nasty/McQuickly]
03) Good Times Roll [Nasty/McQuickly]
04) The Knicker Elastic King [Nasty/McQuickly]
05) Equestrian Statue [Nasty/McQuickly]
06) She's Leaving Home [trad. arr. Nasty/McQuickly]
07) Being For The Benefit Of Mankind! [Nasty/McQuickly]

And in case you're curious, here's the track list of side two (which I haven't completed yet, still a bit of work to be done....)

01) Solitude [O'Hara]
02) Nevertheless [O'Hara]
03) Back In '64 [Nasty/McQuickly]
04) Rockaliser Baby [Nasty/McQuickly]
05) Major Happy's Up and Coming Once Upon A Good Time Band - reprise [Nasty/McQuickly]
06) Cheese and Onions [Nasty/McQuickly]

Do I have to spell it out?  Wink
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 01:59:09 AM »

Good to see there's another Rutles fan about! I guess Rockaliser Baby sort of does sound like Lovely Rita, heh  Grin

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »

Awww, fantastic! Those songs always put me in such a great mood, they really are brilliant bits of songwriting. All hail Neil!

Here's a fun video I shot of Innes & Friends performing... RUTALOT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErCQ9nQAglg

... and at no additional cost, Neil lecturing one of my imaginary bands on the realities of the music biz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFLMzTmg1w8
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:37:50 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 03:15:06 PM »

love me some rutles   3D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:02:24 PM by OneEar/OneEye » Logged
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:34:57 PM »

Lazenby- it's great.  Did you ever complete side 2?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:17:51 AM »

First off, thank you, Lazenby, for such a tremendous Christmas present! Second off, dare me say Sgt. Rutter is vastly superior to Sgt. Pepper, despite that I dig few songs from the latter such as my absolute fave With A Little Help, Lovely Rita & Mr. Kite. For someone who are not professional singers, The Rutles did quite an impressive vocal work. The music is great! I liked everything, except for Good Times Roll, though the chorus repeating the title is cool, much cooler than its equivalent "Lucy in the Sky"'s one. Track-by-track:

1) Major Happy's Up & Coming Once Upon A Good Time Band (what a title!) - it starts off exactly as Track 1 of Sgt. Pepper, i.e. with the background banquet intro. I'm glad they decided to leave it, coz it kind of sets the mood in a positive way. Plus, I like the sound of violin. Of course, no one can rival with Paul's rocking singing but that doesn't mean it is less groovy & dynamic. Btw, speaking of Paul, the song's sung by a John's impersonator, not his definitely.
2) Nevertheless - now, we've got the cutest song if there ever was one. No less warm & sweet than Ringo's tune. The harmonies are beautiful & I like the pessimistic, "loser" tone of the singer. He just begs for a friendly hug & kind words.
4) The Knicker Elastic King - I used to be a big fan of Getting Better, then it gradually started to bore me. However, it is after hearing this Rutles "copy" GB became finally & totally forgettable. With that being said, the "oooh-la-la" bit on "...Elastic King" is corny.
5) Equestrian Statue - another gem that is better than The Beatles' song. By a wide margin. The orchestration on here is simply great! The whole idea with marches is right on the money, I always loved that genre. Lastly, the vocals are excellent - one of the best, in fact. The only thing I'm not fond of is the discofied outro.
6) She's Leaving Home - utterly entertaining shortie! Girl's cheerful "I'm free!" screaming cracked me up a little, as if she's happy for leaving home. The operatic style of singing adds the comedic feel as well. Good job overall!
7) Being for the Benefit of Mankind! - it sort of similar to Lily the Pink by The Scaffold (the band featuring Michael McCartney, brother of you-know-who) which I very like. Great closing of Side A. Tongue-twisters are fun. In short, deserved thumbs up from me!

Thanks again for this generous gift! Look forward to get the 2nd side; maybe you'll be in time with it for the next Christmas.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »

I went to see Neil Innes last week! An amazing guy - fantastic showmanship.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx