gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 09:03:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What would your perfect L.A (Light Album) tracklist be? How would it fare?  (Read 9272 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »

Interesting to see ppl's ideal or alternative tracklists for L.A, but would they perform better. Is there any allternative scenario where L.A could possibly succeed?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 10:25:40 AM »

Considering the fact that Good Timin' was the group's best single since, arguably, Do It Again, I don't see any scenario where L.A. would have been a hit album.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »

Here's how it REALLY should have been.
DA (Disco Album) no space between the songs
side A.
1.here comes the night/do you like worms  (short intro ) :30
2.good vibrations (Disco remake) 7:00
3.I write the songs(Disco remake) 5:00
4.surfin disco (Rewrite of "Surfin" with a disco beat.) 8:00
5.here comes the night (album version) 12:00
6.Here comes the night (instrumental mix) 12:00

side B.
1.here comes the night (Single version) 3:30
2.she's got rythym (disco remix) 6:00
3.viggie (Disco version) 10:00
4.here comes the night (Original version from the 60's remixed) 1:30
5.shortening bread (Disco version) 15:00
6. can't wait too long (Disco version) :20
7.been way too long (disco version) 2:00
8.here comes the night (vocal only outro) :30

Produced by Bruce Johnston and Brian Wilson
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:54:07 AM by joshferrell » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 04:17:05 AM »

Well, I gave it a go to make MIU more palatable (to me):

Woncha Come Out Tonight
That Same Song (the version with the Gospel choir)
Go and Get That Girl
Pitter Patter
Winter Symphony
Winds of Change

My Diane
Lines
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
Sumahama
Tug of Love
Still I Dream of It

It's a mess of styles, but what they hey?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:20:50 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 06:06:12 AM »

Considering the fact that Good Timin' was the group's best single since, arguably, Do It Again, I don't see any scenario where L.A. would have been a hit album.

It was their best single since 'It's Okay' imo. It's a great song, but not obvious 'killer 45' material, given that it's a mid tempo ballad.

That aside, it's more interesting to ask 'how would LA's reputation have fared' given a track shuffle', rather than 'how would it have sold', because there are so many variables that dictate whether a record is a hit or not that are nothing to do with the quality of the material. Just ask 'Sunflower'. Besides, it probably sold pretty good anyway, given that Lady Lynda made number six here in the UK.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 09:13:53 AM »

It was their best single since 'It's Okay' imo. It's a great song, but not obvious 'killer 45' material, given that it's a mid tempo ballad.

Surfer Girl is a midtempo ballad as well. Good Timin' taps right into that spirit, as Dennis Wilson noted.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 09:32:04 AM »

I'm afraid mine plays fast and loose with the timescale

01.  It's a Beautiful Day (recorded just after, I know)
02.  Don't Fight the Sea (it was started around this time)
03.  Down the Coastline/Song of the Whale
04.  Santa Ana Winds (I'd quite happily have the lyrics of the second released version and the rougher production of the earlier version...)
05.  Full Sail
06.  California Feeling
07.  Country Pie
08.  Good Timin'
09.  Love Surrounds Me
10.  Baby Blue
11.  Angel Come Home
12.  She's Just Out To Get You

This would have worked great.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »

Again, like Surf's Up, CATP, and MIU before it, I don't think any tracks needed to be deleted or swapped from L.A. Light Album to make it better, just add a couple of more to the album.

The Beach Boys went from 15 tracks on 15 Big Ones, to 14 tracks on Love You, to 12 tracks on M.I.U., to 10 tracks on L.A. Light Album. Why? You had 6 songwriters in the group at that time!

L.A. Light Album was in no way a concept album that needed a certain type of song on there to fit a theme. I mean, that album is all over the place. Hey, keep 'em all on there, and simply fill in where there was a shortage - i.e. Brian Wilson songs. They couldn't come up with 2 more BW songs that were in the can? Look at all those Adult Child and M.I.U. outtakes just sitting there. What were they saving those for?

It's interesting but "It's A Beautiful Day" was actually the B Side of the "Sumahama" single released in September 1979. It must've been close to being recorded by the release of L.A. Light Album; maybe a couple of months?  Side B would've opened much stronger with "It's A Beautiful Day" followed by "Here Comes The Night'.  

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 09:49:32 AM »

L.A. is two minutes longer than 15 Big Ones, with five less tracks.

BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »

Surfer Girl is a midtempo ballad as well. Good Timin' taps right into that spirit, as Dennis Wilson noted.

Sure, but that one exception doesn't really have any bearing on what I said. The vast majority of their hits were uptempo, and the vast majority of hits in general are uptempo, or at least danceable. Cool Cool Water for example is an AWESOME track, but it's a dreadful single.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 11:39:50 AM »

that attrocious HCTN take so much time! it's almost a miracle that they could include such a long version of that monstrosity and the only nadir point of the album, which otherwise was not too bad. especially compared to the preceeding MIU
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »

that attrocious HCTN take so much time! it's almost a miracle that they could include such a long version of that monstrosity and the only nadir point of the album, which otherwise was not too bad. especially compared to the preceeding MIU

Yeah, it's almost unanimous that "Here Comes The Night" was too long, possibly sacrificing at least two other songs. So, putting my money where my mouth is. No subtracting, just adding...

L.A. (Light Album)

1. Good Timin'
2. Lady Lynda
3. Love Surrounds Me
4. Full Sail
5. Sumahama
6. Angel Come Home

7. Here Comes The Night (edit)
8. Baby Blue
9. Shortenin' Bread (alternate take)
10. Winter Symphony
11. Goin' South
12. California Feelin'

I always liked "Angel Come Home" AFTER "Sumahama". And, I like the cold/warm, traveling, ending up in California ending! police
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 01:30:41 PM »

What's the best currently 'out there' version of California Calling? As I recall I've only ever heard the Brian version that was on that hits comp, and wasn't impressed...need to revisit it
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »

I guess Ian is pretty much right here. I think they just kida blew it commercially with Love You and M.I.U. and so no matter what they did they weren't gonna have a big album hit in 1979. I do think that "Good Timin'" shoulda been the lead single to the band's follow up to Holland. It was mature yet easily identifiable as The Beach Boys, coming after stuff like Endless Summer and Spirit Of America. I think they kinda blew it by having their comeback single be the dorky dad-rock of "Rock And Roll Music".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 02:53:58 PM »

Sure, but that one exception doesn't really have any bearing on what I said. 

I completely disagree with you, and I think it was a great choice as a single. I'm sure most here would agree with me.

BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »

Sure, but that one exception doesn't really have any bearing on what I said. 

I completely disagree with you, and I think it was a great choice as a single. I'm sure most here would agree with me.

Haha- we don't have to agree, you know, it's fine for two people to have different opinions. I think you're utterly wrong, and that's fine. Wink

but, to play along with your method of debate, I'm pretty sure 10 million Elvis fans woudl agree with ME. Wink  LOL
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2013, 03:47:13 PM »

What's the best currently 'out there' version of California Calling? As I recall I've only ever heard the Brian version that was on that hits comp, and wasn't impressed...need to revisit it

Al's version of 'California Feeling' on Postcard is magic

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »

OK, mate, you can use as many smilies as you want, but I'm gonna speak up for my band and declare Good Timin' to be an incredible piece of work.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2013, 03:53:35 PM »

OK, mate, you can use as many smilies as you want, but I'm gonna speak up for my band and declare Good Timin' to be an incredible piece of work.
Seconded

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »

Right on man. Lately "Good Timin'" has been my favorite BB song. Just so pretty.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »

After many long hours of tinkering, the trackllst I finally settled on:

01. Rainbows (2:53)
02. Lady Lynda (3:59)
03. Skatetown U.S.A. (2:12)
04. Lookin' Down the Coast (3:14)
05. Angel Come Home (3:41)
06. Brian's Back (4:10)
07. Love Surrounds Me (3:38)
08. Sumahama (4:28)
09. Country Pie (3:14)
10. Baby Blue (3:18)
11. Brand New Old Friends (7:13)

Total runtime: 41:53
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:08:19 PM by coco1997 » Logged

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »

YES!

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »

After many long hours of tinkering, the trackllst I finally settled on:

01. Rainbows (2:53)
02. Lady Lynda (3:59)
04. Lookin' Down the Coast (3:14)
05. Angel Come Home (3:41)
06. Brian's Back (4:10)
07. Love Surrounds Me (3:38)
08. Sumahama (4:28)
09. Country Pie (3:14)
10. Baby Blue (3:18)
11. Brand New Old Friends (7:13)

Total runtime: 41:53

So you put no Brian Wilson material on this album?
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2013, 10:25:36 PM »

So you put no Brian Wilson material on this album?

In my alternate universe I used "Good Timin'" on my "15 Big Ones" tracklist and "Shortenin' Bread" appears on the "Adult/Child" record.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 08:02:52 AM »

You're not my mate, you're an internet bellend who can't understand a simple point. The Beach Boys aren't 'your band', ffs...and it just goes to show you haven't grasped what I said, because if you had, you'd realise that my opinion isn't insulting, in any way.

I'll try again. Whilst Good Timin' is a fantastic song (or 'piece of work' if you like), I don't think it's a great single, in the way that say, Good Vibrations is. Great song/Great single. Not the same thing. Don't give a f*** whether you agree or not. The world thrives on differing opinions. You can't 'disprove' my opinion by making tenuous claims relating to Surfer Girl, or by saying that you reckon everyone will disagree with me. It's an opinion.

I used smileys because I think that your way of ramming home your opinion (AGAIN) is hilarious. 'and everyone else thinks so, so nah'. LOL. Pathetic
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:06:31 AM by BergenWhitesMoustache » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx