gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:37:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: December 2013: Exclusive Concert Tribute DVD  (Read 17227 times)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »

I looked at that pledge site, and I must say I do not like the whole concept of gathering opinion and trying to reflect pledges and input, etc on a grand scale. If you have talent, make the film and see if people buy it. Concert film by committee is idiocy. If you want to do a marketing survey and see what people want, fine, but not like this. Just make a great DVD, well produced, with tons of BB songs in high quality in every respect.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2013, 09:43:20 AM »

Good points Mr Professor. If I ran my business like this I'd never get a project of the ground.

However, the the opinion gathering so far has been absolutely minimal. The wee exclusive bonus clips have been neither exclusive nor essential. I suspect the only motivation in this approach is the start-up cash, which I wouldn't have minded at all, extras or no.

If the producers really valued our opinion they'd be here, on this board, asking the right questions.

“We live in divisive times.”
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2013, 05:57:58 PM »

I looked at that pledge site, and I must say I do not like the whole concept of gathering opinion and trying to reflect pledges and input, etc on a grand scale. If you have talent, make the film and see if people buy it. Concert film by committee is idiocy. If you want to do a marketing survey and see what people want, fine, but not like this. Just make a great DVD, well produced, with tons of BB songs in high quality in every respect.

You have some very good points.  Honestly, I've not seen one bit of evidence yet that shows the producers have any idea of what they're doing or what the fans want.  I'd like to be optimistic, but it's not looking good.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2013, 02:09:49 PM »

With the Veronica Mars' KickStarter program all over the news, it goes to show you just how well a project can get off the ground when it's completely funded by the fans--if there are fans there to support it.  They asked for $2 million and they're now close to $4 million.  Pretty astonishing stuff. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project

The Beach Boys are doing something really weird with this PledgeMusic thing... I have no clear idea what exactly they're doing here.  The site has been pretty dead since the tour ended and there's really no signs of this actually coming through.  Had they actually put up some goals and benchmarks for us as fans to follow, we'd know how/where to help.

But anyway, it got me thinking, what if they moved this campaign over to KickStarter and set up a fund to help get this concert DVD finally going.  Do you think they could really put it off? Let's say they offered:

A 2 DVD/BluRay set of the Beach Boys Celebration Tour.  Disc 1 would contain a 2 1/2 hour documentary, detailing the band coming together to do an 80 stop tour.  Interviews with the band, discussing every aspect of the tour, backstage footage, rehearsals, meetings and tons of live clips from the tour (including a huge portion from the final Wembley show).  Disc 2 would be the complete, uncut full presentation of the Royal Albert Hall show in HD, and 5.1 sound.

Bam...official concert DVD right there.  They just need our help to fund it.  How much would this cost to make.....around $150,000?  I have no idea what these things cost.  How much would you actually donate?  Do you think they could get enough backers? 

I think I'd be wiling to pay about $150 for this project.  Do I think they'd get enough backers to get this off the ground?  Maybe.  Not totally sure though.  How about you? 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »

Trouble is, a bunch of us have already put varying modest amounts down on this. If t'producers get flummoxed an' start muckin' abart  wi' t'carrots, us'll be reet brassed off tha' knows.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2013, 02:51:06 PM »

With the Veronica Mars' KickStarter program all over the news, it goes to show you just how well a project can get off the ground when it's completely funded by the fans--if there are fans there to support it.  They asked for $2 million and they're now close to $4 million.  Pretty astonishing stuff. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project

The Beach Boys are doing something really weird with this PledgeMusic thing... I have no clear idea what exactly they're doing here.  The site has been pretty dead since the tour ended and there's really no signs of this actually coming through.  Had they actually put up some goals and benchmarks for us as fans to follow, we'd know how/where to help.

But anyway, it got me thinking, what if they moved this campaign over to KickStarter and set up a fund to help get this concert DVD finally going.  Do you think they could really put it off? Let's say they offered:

A 2 DVD/BluRay set of the Beach Boys Celebration Tour.  Disc 1 would contain a 2 1/2 hour documentary, detailing the band coming together to do an 80 stop tour.  Interviews with the band, discussing every aspect of the tour, backstage footage, rehearsals, meetings and tons of live clips from the tour (including a huge portion from the final Wembley show).  Disc 2 would be the complete, uncut full presentation of the Royal Albert Hall show in HD, and 5.1 sound.

Bam...official concert DVD right there.  They just need our help to fund it.  How much would this cost to make.....around $150,000?  I have no idea what these things cost.  How much would you actually donate?  Do you think they could get enough backers? 

I think I'd be wiling to pay about $150 for this project.  Do I think they'd get enough backers to get this off the ground?  Maybe.  Not totally sure though.  How about you? 

You'd pay $150 for two BBs DVD's?  Do you think anyone else would pay that?  ( definitely not me) 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »

Anyone had notice of any "exclusive" bonus updates on this recently, btw?

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »

You'd pay $150 for two BBs DVD's?  Do you think anyone else would pay that?  ( definitely not me) 

I guess Veronica Mars fans want their movie more than BB fans want this DVD?

The pledge gifts for the Veronica Mars movie for $100 include, a DVD, PDF of the script, t-shirt and digital download of the film.  Not exactly a bigger bang for the buck but still close to 5,000 fans have already pledged for that level.  It'd be interesting to see just how many people could back the BB if they went this direction.

Perhaps a little different to compare this to the BB but it makes you wonder how much we really want this thing if it were up to us.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »

Maybe I should do a kickstarter to pay my mortgage LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »

I'll throw in $5 for ya!  Grin
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »

It'd cost far, far more than that. There were 62 songs performed at the Albert Hall. The sync rights for a Beach Boys song would cost, on average, $10,000 per song. That means that for *just the right to use the songs* -- not paying for production costs, editing time, not paying the band anything for their performances, anything like that, a complete Albert Hall DVD would cost $620,000. Factoring all the rest of those things in you're probably not looking at much under a million dollars in costs.

The most successful Beach Boys DVD ever, the Knebworth DVD, took five years to sell half a million dollars' worth of copies.

There will quite simply *never* be a legitimate DVD release of a full show from last year's tour. It's sad but true. No matter how good it is, it won't sell even half the numbers needed to break even. Doing it through Kickstarter or anything else wouldn't change that.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2013, 10:14:58 AM »

Thanks for the sobering figures, Andrew.  I had no idea it would cost that much even though it seems a bit high.  Now that you've provided us with more realistic figures, it makes us realize just how much these things cost.  With that said, if they needed $1.5 million dollars to get this going, would the fans be there to help support it?  For that huge of a number...probably not.  I doubt they could muster enough fans to help fund that much money.  Sad but true.

In the meantime, I'm officially taking this DVD off my radar...there's no reason to believe it'll come out any time soon or ever, at this point.  Maybe they'll whip something up with this footage  to commemorate their 60th Anniversary, who the hell knows?  Until then...que sera sera.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »

Thanks for the sobering figures, Andrew.  I had no idea it would cost that much even though it seems a bit high.  Now that you've provided us with more realistic figures, it makes us realize just how much these things cost.  With that said, if they needed $1.5 million dollars to get this going, would the fans be there to help support it?  For that huge of a number...probably not.  I doubt they could muster enough fans to help fund that much money.  Sad but true.

In the meantime, I'm officially taking this DVD off my radar...there's no reason to believe it'll come out any time soon or ever, at this point.  Maybe they'll whip something up with this footage  to commemorate their 60th Anniversary, who the hell knows?  Until then...que sera sera.

What then for those whom have already made their donations?

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »

Not sure what you want me to say...does it look like I represent the producers of this DVD?

I donated money to this as well but it's not like I lost hundreds of dollars here...what did you exactly drop on this project that makes you feel completely ripped off?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »

Not sure what you want me to say...does it look like I represent the producers of this DVD?

I donated money to this as well but it's not like I lost hundreds of dollars here...what did you exactly drop on this project that makes you feel completely ripped off?

Me, nothing.
 I wasn't expecting a definitive answer from you; I just wonder, given your statements, what those who have donated might expect for a finished product

acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2013, 11:45:43 AM »

What then for those whom have already made their donations?

Honestly, I think the producers have some questions to answer.  If the project is still going forward, then they need to be obligated to keep the funders up to date.  If they have canceled the project and haven't  refunded the money that they took, then it's a case of fraud.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »

Actually, the fine Mr. Hickey brought the cost of this endeavor to our attention months ago. I figured then and there that it would never see the light of day.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »

Actually, the fine Mr. Hickey brought the cost of this endeavor to our attention months ago. I figured then and there that it would never see the light of day.

I am absolutely sure that this DVD *will* come out. I am equally sure that it won't be a full-concert DVD -- which the makers have never, at any stage, claimed it will be.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »

I am absolutely sure that this DVD *will* come out. I am equally sure that it won't be a full-concert DVD -- which the makers have never, at any stage, claimed it will be.
I meant as a full 60 song set. I haven't really kept track since late December or whatever, but I know for the longest time now, most here keep referring to it as a full set list show DVD.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2013, 01:34:06 PM »

I meant as a full 60 song set. I haven't really kept track since late December or whatever, but I know for the longest time now, most here keep referring to it as a full set list show DVD.

Yes, and all along I've been telling people that there's no indication that it'll be a full set live DVD, but nobody's wanted to listen. I've said this here so often that I just got an abusive pseudonymous comment on my blog about my 'endless lecturing' and saying I'm talking 'bullshit' on the subject. But I've only been saying this because so many people have been making the totally unwarranted assumption that this is a full live show -- a claim the producers have never made -- and I don't want to see people disappointed.

Just to make clear, though, nothing I have been saying here has been down to any kind of insider knowledge, and I've tried, repeatedly, to make that clear. I'm going from information in the public domain, such as:

The cost of sync rights for a song in the US varies *enormously*. It's usually between $1500 and $15,000, but a popular song can be $25,000 or more -- reportedly the sync costs for the Beatles songs used in Across The Universe were $300,000 per song. Without attempting to license all the songs in question, I have no idea how much the various publishing companies involved would charge. but I'd guess that some songs (say I Get Around or Good Vibrations) would be at the $20,000+ end of the scale, while others (say Isn't It Time or All This Is That) would be very much lower. My guess is that it would average out at around $10,000 per song (in a set with about as many huge hits as obscurities like the Albert Hall one), but even if you halve that, that's still over $300,000 for the sync rights.

According to AGD's site, the Knebworth DVD was certified gold in 2008 and no other Beach Boys or related DVDs have ever had that level of sales. A music DVD in the US has to sell 25,000 copies to reach that, and that DVD came out in 2003. Assuming $20 per copy sold, that would mean it took five years to reach $500,000 in sales (not in money to the DVD company, in total sales).

The makers of the DVD have said on their site that it's "A two-hour ride through The Beach Boys 2012 world tour featuring footage from shows across the globe + special interviews & extended bonus footage. " -- the Albert Hall show was over three hours long. Even the shortest show on the tour was well over two.

Put those facts (all of which can be checked with two seconds' googling) together, and it looks to me like a full-show live DVD is not even remotely financially viable, and like nobody has ever said that's what we're going to get.

But I've not been saying that to 'lecture' people, or to act as if I have some special secret knowledge -- just to stop people from being horribly disappointed when the DVD comes out in nine months and it's more along the lines of the Brian Wilson On Tour DVD or It's OK special than the full-show DVD everyone wants. If someone knows better, I'd be delighted to hear it -- I'm only going here from public information.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:58:17 AM by AndrewHickey » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »

Maybe  ALL of the BBs will get tgether with their puiblishing companies and agree to give the sync rights for ten cents on the dollar, so that their fans can enjoy/relive the celebration with all 60 +songs, without having to break the bank...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:15:25 PM by bgas » Logged

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »

Maybe the ALL of the BBs will get tgether with their puiblishing companies and agree to give the sync rights for ten cents on the dollar, so that their fans can enjoy/relive the celebration with all 60 +songs, without having to break the bank...

Anything's possible -- but the Beach Boys themselves don't own the publishing for those songs, and don't get to make the decision. I'm sure all sorts of deals could be made, but huge multinational entertainment conglomerates like Universal Music Group (which owns A&M, which owns Rondor, which owns Irving Music, which owns most of the 60s hits... I think -- I may be wrong there) aren't generally known for doing things out of the goodness of their hearts.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2013, 12:14:51 AM »

Seems to me like it's been a while since there was any update on this project.

Is it too early to call it a bunt grand scam instead of a grand slam punt?

Still hopeful but very disappointed at the lack of news.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2013, 06:41:26 AM »

This “Pledge Music” site is a legit site, so I don’t think this Beach Boys project is a scam at all. It’s just kind of being run and updated in a lackluster way compared to other similar projects, and compared to what it could be. They could be updating it all the time with little bits of video, and something more substantial than like a minute or two of boring interview outtakes. They could be polling the fans on more things, especially more than offering all horrible titles to vote on for the release.

But I don’t think this is literally a scam. It’s a high profile (relatively speaking) website that hosts other homebrewed and charitable projects, and I believe this project has been pointed to and linked via facebook and the like as well.

I am curious if they really saw this as a way to solicit input from fans, or if it was really just way to bankroll the project via pre-order “donations.”

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2013, 07:10:57 AM »

I'm keen to know the level of support it has attracted; presumably if it doesn't raise enough, then the project won't come to fruition. Given that all levels of sponsorship still appear to be open, it hasn't been bankrolled just yet.

I know the Pledge Music site is legit and have seen the project linked from the official BBs site, which is why I haven't given up just yet. But a similar project here in the UK for a film about the Cairngorm mountains raised the required funds before I had time o hit the "support" button, and has updated supporters very regularly since. It's also gone from concept to finalisation within about seven months.

These C50th DVD guys have had a lot more time than that to be working on first edits, updates for supporters and so-forth.

"Lackluster" seems apt.

I've dropped those behind the project a query about progress via the Pledge site and will report back if any info is forthcoming.

Fingers crossed

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx