gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:26:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: December 2013: Exclusive Concert Tribute DVD  (Read 17233 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 01:12:18 PM »

Yeah, not sure this thing is really "official"...

They have a clip up from one of the interviews they conducted backstage at the Hollywood Bowl show.  Not sure how anyone else besides the official team can provide that?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 07:59:36 PM »

Sure, 'The Last Waltz' had most of the instruments added later 

That's a myth. All of the bass was rerecorded, however, and some of the horns and keyboards.

I'm going by Levons book so if he was bitter when he said it, so be it.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 01:28:40 PM »

I certainly hope this progect is legit, but I'd feel better if there was some kind of official endorsement.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »

I certainly hope this progect is legit, but I'd feel better if there was some kind of official endorsement.

There was - like I said before, The Beach Boys Official posted this on Facebook.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »

The ESQ Facebook page posted about it too.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »

This is all a little wishy washy for me.  I have 1 major problem with it.  If the Beach Boys are promo'ing it, then why does the guy have to buck up the money (seemingly) to fund the project through a site like that?  Surely to god 100k or so would get something like this handled and the 'boys and capitol records dont' exactly have a cash flow problem.  If the Beach Boys are going to promote it, why are they letting the guy twist in the wind begging me to pay for it a year in advance?

I'm old school.  I like how capitalism used to work.  They make sh*t, tell me how much it costs, I buy it off the shelf somewhere.  That worked really good for me. 
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2012, 04:43:21 AM »

The pre-doctored Last Waltz is available at Wolfgangs Vault to watch. You actually get to see and hear Richard. Plenty of Robbies guitar touched up too.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:25:59 AM by Heywood » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2012, 12:07:45 PM »

Yes. 4 hrs worth! Although the vaults become a user pays site now I see. Damn!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 03:02:34 PM »

The website just added a new video for members...

It's a very short clip...40 seconds long and it's Brian backstage at the Hollywood Bowl show.  When spoken to about the audiences' great response throughout the tour, Brian responds his typical answer that they all love the songs like "California Girls" and "Good Vibrations."  To comment on the various standing ovations he's gotten Brian said, "Yeah I got a couple good standing ovations." 

Obviously nothing earth shattering but still proof that this is not some scam they've set up or anything....
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »

The website just added a new video for members...

It's a very short clip...40 seconds long and it's Brian backstage at the Hollywood Bowl show.  When spoken to about the audiences' great response throughout the tour, Brian responds his typical answer that they all love the songs like "California Girls" and "Good Vibrations."  To comment on the various standing ovations he's gotten Brian said, "Yeah I got a couple good standing ovations." 

Obviously nothing earth shattering but still proof that this is not some scam they've set up or anything....

I don't see this proving ity's not a scam; just proves someone has 40 seconds of backstage video

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »

I don't think its a scam but I'm old school like Ron. Make sh!t and I'll buy it if its good!

Does seem a goofy plan to haul equipment and crew around the world filming then to beg for funding to put it out.

Oh wait....It's Beach Boys related! (hits forehead)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »

I don't see this proving ity's not a scam; just proves someone has 40 seconds of backstage video

Care to define what the word "scam" means in this context then?  There might be a disconnect here with how I'm using it and how you (and a few others) are using it.  I am understanding the use of that word to imply that people believe that this site is not legitimate and it has no association at all with the Beach Boys thus labeling it a "scam."

I paid the $3 to become a donor/member and have been granted access to two videos that were obviously filmed by their official crew during the tour.  It wasn't iPhone footage or something very informal...lights, sound and cameras were obviously setup specifically for these interviews backstage.  The people behind this site are the very people in control of the footage shot throughout the tour therefore this site is not a scam. 

If  the issue of them holding the footage "hostage" until they get our money is a "scam"..then that is a different issue all together...

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 06:47:34 PM »

Care to define what the word "scam" means in this context then?  There might be a disconnect here with how I'm using it and how you (and a few others) are using it.  I am understanding the use of that word to imply that people believe that this site is not legitimate and it has no association at all with the Beach Boys thus labeling it a "scam."

I paid the $3 to become a donor/member and have been granted access to two videos that were obviously filmed by their official crew during the tour.  It wasn't iPhone footage or something very informal...lights, sound and cameras were obviously setup specifically for these interviews backstage.  The people behind this site are the very people in control of the footage shot throughout the tour therefore this site is not a scam. 

If  the issue of them holding the footage "hostage" until they get our money is a "scam"..then that is a different issue all together...

Personally: If they have all the footage, and simply need time to get it together, why bother to solicit all the $$? To pay them while they work on it?  Reminds me too much of BRad for me to commit any $$ before the product is available. Once bitten, twice shy, eh?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »

The funny thing is most of us have done this in a slightly different form already this year with the Beach Boys.

Anyone buy tickets to a later C50 gig prior to reviewing the first show in New Orleans? The band, or their managers, had my ka-ching 3 months before the show LOL
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:40:20 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
MBE
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 11:06:40 PM »

The fellow doing this interviewed me outside the Chicago theatre. He's legit.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 12:10:46 AM »

There's a new backstage clip; this time Mike at the Hollywood Bowl. Just the sort of stuff I would hope NOT to see included in the finished product... Mike saying how somebody approached him to say they are going to the show along with their children & their children's children. (He also mentions the band member's families who would play with them that night.)

I have this terrible premonition: The disc is showing the Beach Boys playing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" & it is building up to the terrific climax. "You know it seems the more we talk about it"...  Suddenly, cut to John & Mary from wherever...
"This was our song when we were dating, and we loved it so much we had it played at our wedding, and our children all love it too, and our dog won't eat unless it's playing on the eight-track ..." and Brian is halfway through "IJWMFTT" by the time the performance resumes. 
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »

There's a new backstage clip; this time Mike at the Hollywood Bowl. Just the sort of stuff I would hope NOT to see included in the finished product... Mike saying how somebody approached him to say they are going to the show along with their children & their children's children. (He also mentions the band member's families who would play with them that night.)

I have this terrible premonition: The disc is showing the Beach Boys playing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" & it is building up to the terrific climax. "You know it seems the more we talk about it"...  Suddenly, cut to John & Mary from wherever...
"This was our song when we were dating, and we loved it so much we had it played at our wedding, and our children all love it too, and our dog won't eat unless it's playing on the eight-track ..." and Brian is halfway through "IJWMFTT" by the time the performance resumes. 

Cutting out in the middle of a song is EXACTLY what would ruin the DVD!  The interviews are fine, but this needs to focus on the music.  If this project is a DVD for the fans, why keep rehashing the same old interview comments.  We all know how the band got it's name.  We all know how they spent the food money to rent instruments.  What we WANT is complete performances of the the wonderful music they played this last year.  I can also imagine them showing a live clip of "Add Some Music" or "Our Prayer" with somebody talking over it.  This would be even more dissapointing than the lack of material on the live DVD that's already been released.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »

I love this so much.   LOL

I hope this doesn't happen but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it did.  Not. At. All.

I did get to see the new clip and I was really disappointed by it.  Mike's comments were no more special than what we would've found on any of the YouTube videos they put up throughout the tour.  I hope there's some deeper conversations being had here.  This was pretty superficial stuff.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:44:19 PM by Justin » Logged
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »

Not the best clip to showcase the DVD. Even I know not to take photos with a window behind the subject!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 02:35:23 PM »

Not one of the clips thus far has been at all inspiring - as behind-the-scenes material they reveal some pretty poor direction and suggest that a liberal sprinkling of fairy dust might be applied post-production to gloss over some pretty lame material. The downloads were pretty meagre fare, with an appallingly clumsy spelling error on the "poster" (and how the f*** can a download be dubbed a "poster", unless they're gonna ship free printer, paper and inks [and Tippex] too?).

And yet I retain my optimism that the finished product will shine.

“We live in divisive times.”
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »

The pre-doctored Last Waltz is available at Wolfgangs Vault to watch. You actually get to see and hear Richard. Plenty of Robbies guitar touched up too.

Present one example of Robbie's guitar solos being retouched.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »

Havent listened to the vault for a while but from memory both guitar and Garth's sax solo on It Makes No Difference sounded different. Particularly the sax but Robbies guitar as well. Maybe it was only the way it was mixed but I seem to recall some bends/distortion sounding different.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »

Oh yeah, the sax for sure! I'll listen to the guitar solos again.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2013, 02:05:43 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e27ndTv47xo&feature=player_embedded#!

Latest teaser from Blast Media. Gotta assume this is cutting room floor stuff, or rough, unedited, with proper soundtrack still to be dubbed on.

“We live in divisive times.”
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 06:21:06 AM »

mmmm....crappy sound on the concert clips and poor camera work. That said...i really like the official concert dvd. There was a reason i think it was not official released  Cool
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx