gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:27:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's with the spamming of Surfin' Safari on Spotify?  (Read 3495 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:14:30 AM »

It's getting really frustrating. All last years releases have been burried by (fake I presume) 10 different versions of the Surfin' Safari, Little Deuce Coupe, Surfin' USA and Surfer Girl and endless versions of Luau( Huh).

It's really annoying because anyone who wants to check out the band will meet a wall of these albums (often featuring crappy new covers). Is there a way for us to make spotify clean this mess up? It comes across as extremely unprofessional that the Beach Boys page should be such a mess. You have to spend like 2 min scrolling to find PS. I can't even imagine how albums such as Holland and Friends will ever be listened to unless you know what you're after. After all spotify is very big now and it's important that all phases of the band's history (save SIP) be featured realtively fairly. Comps are ofc fine, but I can't see why each album should have more than 3 versions:
- the original
- the twofer
- the 2012 mono/stereo.

PS can have a few more versions I guess to keep the fanatics happy.
GV box should also be in there somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 05:18:47 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 05:28:36 AM »

I've noticed it too.

Maybe it is because Spotify is Swedish and Swedes love Surfin' Safari. At least I do. Smiley

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 07:03:40 AM »

I think this may be a region-specific problem, as the US site doesn't show any of these gray-market Surfin' Safari albums.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »

Isn't it cos the copyright lapsed or something? The same reason why you can find weird early Bob Dylan boots on spotify too.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:23:29 AM »

How does a copyright "lapse" and become non-renewable after 50 years? Four of six people whom performed on that album and wrote those songs are still alive, so it feels odd.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »

I hate threads like this "you can't find Holland unless you know what you're looking for", well, okay, you know what you're looking for. Who cares about everyone else? Beach boys fans seem to have this theory that if only everyone heard their favorite beach boys album s then people would think they were really cool. this all stems from insecurity.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Tilt Araiza
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:47:50 AM »

How does a copyright "lapse" and become non-renewable after 50 years?

It's only mechanical copyright and I think it's only in the EU.  All the songwriters should still be collecting royalties on these as they would with any recording of their songs. What has lapsed is Capitol's claim on the actual recordings themselves.  Even then, I think subsequent remasters done by Capitol are in copyright as they could claim any cleaning up and noise reduction as being new work which remains in copyright for the moment.
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:24:09 PM »

this is it. I'm sure " Sunrfin' " is a decent track, but cmon.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »

this is it. I'm sure " Sunrfin' " is a decent track, but cmon.
Maybe it is supposed to be Sunrise Safari? Smiley

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »

Guys, delete those posts, Mike will see them and realized you combine "Sun" and "Surfin'" and will bust a nut over such brilliance (and a nutbuster it would be, indeed) and will surely get down to work on some new lyrics.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »

LOL Runners, you should be ML's new collaborator.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 03:17:59 PM »

Spotify was so over-hyped when it came to the United States. I'm sure people are aware of its deficiencies by now, especially in terms of a decent search engine, and if they really want to seek out the Beach Boys, then can look it up and sample their music elsewhere.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 11:56:51 PM »

Try searching for Elvis Presley. It's even worse, dozens of PD releases clutter up the list.
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »

Another strange spotify find. They have the demo version of Hey Little Tomboy on MIU. The one with the creepy bridge.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »

Another strange spotify find. They have the demo version of Hey Little Tomboy on MIU. The one with the creepy bridge.

What region are you in?  The American Spotify has the released version without the spoken bridge.  Unless you were kidding... Huh
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 08:41:33 PM »

I'm on American Spotify. I just double checked to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Yeah, it's the demo version. Bridge and all. They should take that down.

It's weird though. If I search specifically for Hey Little Tomboy I find the appropriate album version. However, if I just search Beach Boys and go through the list the version on MIU is the demo.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 11:38:58 PM »

I'm on American Spotify. I just double checked to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Yeah, it's the demo version. Bridge and all. They should take that down.

It's weird though. If I search specifically for Hey Little Tomboy I find the appropriate album version. However, if I just search Beach Boys and go through the list the version on MIU is the demo.

Sounds unlikely, be sure to remove any linkage between itunes (or other music players) from spotify. If you see a double-note to the far right you got it linked up.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 12:48:59 AM »

Someone pointed out to me a  while ago that Spotify isn't just presenting stuff to you online - it also plays stuff that's on your own hard drive.

I kept hearing a wonderful, near-soundboard quality recording of Surf's Up, played live, with a Carl lead.  Couldn't think for the life of me where it might have been sourced so asked on here and got the answer – I already had it digitally.

Don't ask me how it works, I found it so confusing I de-installed and deleted it!

“We live in divisive times.”
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 12:51:19 AM »

Someone pointed out to me a  while ago that Spotify isn't just presenting stuff to you online - it also plays stuff that's on your own hard drive.

I kept hearing a wonderful, near-soundboard quality recording of Surf's Up, played live, with a Carl lead.  Couldn't think for the life of me where it might have been sourced so asked on here and got the answer – I already had it digitally.

Don't ask me how it works, I found it so confusing I de-installed and deleted it!

Do you perchance still have that SU live recording? Would be nice to hear pretty much anything new. Grin
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 07:15:09 AM »

I hate threads like this "you can't find Holland unless you know what you're looking for", well, okay, you know what you're looking for. Who cares about everyone else? Beach boys fans seem to have this theory that if only everyone heard their favorite beach boys album s then people would think they were really cool. this all stems from insecurity.

the thread is not bad. there is a problem with spotify and I wish to address it and I hope it will eventually be fixed.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:18:10 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 07:43:23 AM »

the thread is not bad. there is a problem with spotify and I wish to address it and I hope it will eventually be fixed.

It won't be. Anyone in the EU can legally release a version of the Surfin' Safari album and get it on whatever digital outlets they want. The only way they'll stop is if it stops being profitable to repackage and reissue that album. It's exactly the same for any other musician whose music has passed into the public domain in the EU (which is anyone who put out a recording before December 31 1962).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx