gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:31:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian & Al KLOS Show 12/13/12  (Read 39941 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »

Guitarfool, Brian and Al could also make more money by charging fans to sit with them during Mike and Bruce shows and hear their critiques of the show.... LOL LOL

That would be worth it! I suppose they could also rig up a web-only series where they sit in front of a screen like the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew and make sarcastic comments as they watch Mike's concert videos.  Grin

With the beer and cigars, or course.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »

Mike: This one comes from my "Mike Love, Not War" album.
Brian: Yeah, I can't wait for that one.
Mike: It's called "Cool Head, Warm Heart."
Al: Everyone's favorite Beach Boys song, that's the one everyone came to hear.
Brian: His head stays cool because there's no hair to keep him warm.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »

And, as other have pointed out, both Brian & Alan get money for doing nothing when Mike tours. These are not stupid people.

I want to call this point out just to say the primary reason why Mike would have anything to tour behind for the past 5 decades is Brian Wilson and the classic songs he produced for The Beach Boys. So the image of Brian getting money for sitting on his duff doing nothing while Mike travels around working his ass off isn't quite the way it is. If Brian had not written/produced those songs and created those arrangements which Mike still sells to audiences across the US, there would be no goose that has laid golden eggs for them since 1962.

... and if Mike and the rest of the band hadn't worked their collective ass off doing endless tours 1967-1972 and sometimes doing 3 shows a day, keeping the music of Brian Wilson in the public eye (ear, whatever...), it's possible that said music would now be largely forgotten.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2012, 11:57:26 AM »

And, as other have pointed out, both Brian & Alan get money for doing nothing when Mike tours. These are not stupid people.

I want to call this point out just to say the primary reason why Mike would have anything to tour behind for the past 5 decades is Brian Wilson and the classic songs he produced for The Beach Boys. So the image of Brian getting money for sitting on his duff doing nothing while Mike travels around working his ass off isn't quite the way it is. If Brian had not written/produced those songs and created those arrangements which Mike still sells to audiences across the US, there would be no goose that has laid golden eggs for them since 1962.

... and if Mike and the rest of the band hadn't worked their collective ass off doing endless tours 1967-1972 and sometimes doing 3 shows a day, keeping the music of Brian Wilson in the public eye (ear, whatever...), it's possible that said music would now be largely forgotten.

I agree with that. At the same time, it was that re-release of the "classic" Brian productions which put them in a much better place than they had been publicly since late 1967, and it got fans coming out to bigger live venues in bigger numbers to hear those classics performed. It's kind of a harsh thing to say, but the hard work and sweat and three shows per day efforts would do far less for the band's fortunes than a half-baked re-release from Capitol of all their "hits" from the 60's.

Of course it's all speculation, but I think the fluke of a hit which was Endless Summer was a big key to keeping the torch lit, and any number of shows or efforts from the early 70's lineup - as musically solid and good as they were, along with the concerts - adds up to less of what kept all of them in demand with the public and new fans. Without Endless Summer part of me thinks there would be no Beach Boys by 1976, until the reunion craze decades later called for such a thing to happen.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2012, 11:58:12 AM »

Guitarfool, Brian and Al could also make more money by charging fans to sit with them during Mike and Bruce shows and hear their critiques of the show.... LOL LOL

That would be worth it! I suppose they could also rig up a web-only series where they sit in front of a screen like the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew and make sarcastic comments as they watch Mike's concert videos.  Grin

With the beer and cigars, or course.

This is funny....

...and this is true!!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »

I see the Chinook Winds page has revised their description of the band. Maybe someone at BRI, or one of Mike's 'people' read it here and got on the stick. Maybe we can make a difference.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »

Wouldn't the reason he would like playing a couple of gigs in Oregon is because he has family up there?  Just a guess. Unless a more nefarious reason is known. Also, as far as not making it clear who's in the band, that may be on individual promoters, not Mike and Bruce. Or they take that attitude until it's brought to their attention by Brian's people or whoever that they need to have the promoters make it clear who's actually in the band for that gig.

No family there.  Bad guess.

His siblings Maureen and Stan live in Oregon. I'm not sure how close to that venue or what part of the state. I recall he introduced them when the reunion played in Oregon. Unless you mean your ex-girlfriend and Mike hit it off big time after their backstage meeting over the summer, and he booked two gigs in Oregon just to see her?

The Love's live in the Eugene area, quite a ways away.  There are many. many finer venues which R closer; like Spirit Mountain. I actually played some pick-up ball against Stan in High School and ran into him at the Eugene show this year.  One of the best players I ever went against but also the dirtiest.

Yes, I had a very up close and personal experience with the Lovester.  I can honestly say the legends and stories are true - the man is one first class jerk and a..hole!  Can certainly see why he goes thru so many wives.  Leave it at that.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »

I see the Chinook Winds page has revised their description of the band. Maybe someone at BRI, or one of Mike's 'people' read it here and got on the stick. Maybe we can make a difference.

As you always tell us AGD, important people read this  board.

Wow, that's a complete re-write and specifically says who is in the band.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:26:09 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2012, 01:20:53 PM »

I think the point being missed is the point was not who was in Al's group but that the group was representing itself as the Beach Boys with the trademark which they did not have license to do. Mike does have a license to represent himself as the Beach Boys.

Apparently others misrepresented who was in Al's group and apparently others are misrepresenting who is in Mike's group, that they have in common. Anyway, Merry Christmas.

I can only add that nobody is missing the point concerning the license to use the BB name, or what Al was doing back in 1999, etc. The point concerning promoters billing shows incorrectly was exactly what you have finally mentioned, which is that Al in 1999 and Mike presently have both experienced this. I pointed out the irony of BRI using this against someone in 1999 and not caring about that now. That's all. Nothing to do with licenses and lawsuits.

This particular area of discussion has indeed more than run its course.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »

Bottom line - as long as Mike adheres to the terms of the license (as he has since 1999) and pays the other BRI corporate members their slice of the pie (ditto), no-one's going to rock the boat. What would the main thrust of any lawsuit be - "hey, you're following the rules exactly, but, er, we don't like that" ?  And, as other have pointed out, both Brian & Alan get money for doing nothing when Mike tours. These are not stupid people.

I haven't seen anybody suggest any lawsuit would be involved in taking Mike's license away. In such a theoretical scenario, it would involve voting to change how the license is used. It is indeed highly unlikely this will happen, but if it did, it wouldn't have to involve a lawsuit.

Brian and Al indeed get money for doing nothing. But they would make more money actively touring. So if, say, Al actually wanted to go out and tour and not stay home, he would get to make more money and do the thing he wants to if he toured in the Beach Boys. I'm not saying he wants that at this point. It's even less likely Brian wants that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »

Both elements, the writing of the songs as well as touring to get it out to the masses over the years, were obviously required to make the whole equation work. That both were needed does not indicate, to me, that any one "faction" of the group "deserves" to use the name more than the others. This is especially true when some of the members want to keep the FULL group together to tour.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx