gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:46:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer sales figures?  (Read 2534 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:28:35 AM »

How many twofers has the band sold?
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »

I don't know...but I bought Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twice because I wrecked my original copy!   Smiley

Seriously...the twofers are still my favorite CD versions of the catalog.  1) They cover the complete history through BB85.  2) The packaging is great.  The graphics looks sharp and clear and the liner notes are extensive.  3) I think the sound is very good.  4) You get two LPs on one disc...plus bonus tracks for the Capitol Years.  I bought a couple of the new "remasters" and I was not real impressed.  There just wasn't enough "new and improved" about them to warrant replacing my twofers.  I'll eventually collect them all...but just because I'm a completest.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »

Can't answer that, but I do know that the original CD reissue of KTSA sold about 1540 copies, according to SoundScan.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:18:35 PM »

So there are 1,540 members of this forum, then?

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:34:24 PM »

Can't answer that, but I do know that the original CD reissue of KTSA sold about 1540 copies, according to SoundScan.

i was one of the 1540 people who bought this one when it came out in the 90's  Grin
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »

i was one of the 1540 people who bought this one when it came out in the 90's  Grin

confessions of a sinner!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 12:53:09 AM »

I became a fan in late 1991, and wasn't aware of the later albums on CD till maybe 93.  I bought it used, and saw MANY used copies at the local used CD chain.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 01:42:10 AM »

Job very well done on the liner notes. I just read them again as I pulled out said twofer.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 06:56:32 AM »

I love the twofers.  You can tell that there was some love and dedication put into the overall production.  The packaging is excellent.  The liner notes are excellent.  The sound is excellent.  Compare the twofers to the current batch of remasters.  I hate to say it...but those seem like shameless cash-ins.  The overall production is shoddy.  The packaging is cheap and clumsy.  The liner notes are virtually non-existent.  They may have tinkered with the sound a bit...but it's hard to tell a major difference to my ears.  I bought a couple...but instead of buying the rest I'm actually thinking about buying a second set of the twofers to keep as back-ups!

Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 07:12:47 AM »

I love the twofers.  You can tell that there was some love and dedication put into the overall production.  The packaging is excellent.  The liner notes are excellent.  The sound is excellent.  Compare the twofers to the current batch of remasters.  I hate to say it...but those seem like shameless cash-ins.  The overall production is shoddy.  The packaging is cheap and clumsy.  The liner notes are virtually non-existent.  They may have tinkered with the sound a bit...but it's hard to tell a major difference to my ears.  I bought a couple...but instead of buying the rest I'm actually thinking about buying a second set of the twofers to keep as back-ups!

Seems like your trying to talk yourself out of buying the rest.  For me, however, each time I run to the shelve before leaving for work and want a BB's LP, I choose the single new 2012 remasters over the same album on the twofer.  I'm pleased with the solid low end and the clarity, I now prefer the mono early albums vs the twofer's stereo representations (just like I prefer my Beatles mono box vs the stereo) and MOST importantly, having both, I do prefer to have just the album to listen to as the more accurate representation of what it felt like to play the vinyl record when it first came out.  SOMETIMES, I even play the 2012 remasters over the original vinyl I have when I'm listening at home.  I still have the album/vinyl feeling with the single releases that isn't there as much when playing the twofers w/ bonus tracks.  It is nice to be able to choose, though. 
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »

I'll most likely end up buying the rest of the 2012 remasters.  I've already grabbed six of them.  I wish EMI/Capitol would have put a little more love into the presentation, however.

Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »

I'll most likely end up buying the rest of the 2012 remasters.  I've already grabbed six of them.  I wish EMI/Capitol would have put a little more love into the presentation, however.

I can agree on that.  Granted, I don't think they're the awful representation that some people make them out to be, but I do wish the printing quality/color saturation was better, I do know that some vocals suffer a little from the over bearing treble on some tracks worse than others and with a product like the Beatles mono box set I referenced, you can see first hand at the possibilities of presenting something really memorable for long time fans.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 08:40:35 AM »

I did go out and get the rest of them.  The lure of having the early releases in Brian's glorious mono was too much! 

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx