gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:20:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What would your perfect L.A (Light Album) tracklist be? How would it fare?  (Read 9264 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2013, 08:14:05 AM »

Happy New Year… blimey…

“We live in divisive times.”
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 08:42:42 AM »

Here's how it REALLY should have been.
DA (Disco Album) no space between the songs
side A.
1.here comes the night/do you like worms  (short intro ) :30
2.good vibrations (Disco remake) 7:00
3.I write the songs(Disco remake) 5:00
4.surfin disco (Rewrite of "Surfin" with a disco beat.) 8:00
5.here comes the night (album version) 12:00
6.Here comes the night (instrumental mix) 12:00

side B.
1.here comes the night (Single version) 3:30
2.she's got rythym (disco remix) 6:00
3.viggie (Disco version) 10:00
4.here comes the night (Original version from the 60's remixed) 1:30
5.shortening bread (Disco version) 15:00
6. can't wait too long (Disco version) :20
7.been way too long (disco version) 2:00
8.here comes the night (vocal only outro) :30

Produced by Bruce Johnston and Brian Wilson

This would have be HOT!  Grin

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 10:18:35 AM »

LOL LOL LOL
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2013, 07:24:51 AM »

... fill in where there was a shortage - i.e. Brian Wilson songs. They couldn't come up with 2 more BW songs that were in the can? Look at all those Adult Child and M.I.U. outtakes just sitting there. What were they saving those for?

This.  +1,000

Maybe the band was concerned -- perhaps embarrassed -- with all the crazy Brian songs.  Denny, Mike and Carl especially were branching out as writers and solo artists.  But still.  I've never understood the lack of Brian material on L.A.  This was in the middle of the "Brian's back" era!  Sure he was writing songs about "Solar Systems" and "Lines" but... he was cranking out all sorts of stuff.  Odd but awesome.

I remember reading in the highly suspect Steven Gaines "Heroes and Villains" book that the Beach Boys had a very hard time with the label (Warner?) excepting this album.  They hated it.  They rejected the album several times, I think.  Does anyone know what track line-ups were originally submitted and rejected?

IIRC, I think the label was VERY concerned with the band's image/marketability at the time.  Understandable.  Perhaps that is what resulted in the albums lack of direction.

Huh

EDIT:  I also remember reading that the Dennis material was siphoned away from him.  To your point Sheriff -- WTF?!  They had 5 excellent song writers, six if you include Bruce -- and one of them (Brian) was one of the greatest song writers of all time.  And they had to siphon off material from Dennis' solo project to get to 10 acceptable tracks?!!!?!?!!?!  Are you kidding me!?!  WTF.

This just doesn't make any sense.  None.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:30:52 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2013, 08:22:34 AM »

Heroes And Villains is one of the least suspect books on The Beach Boys.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »

... fill in where there was a shortage - i.e. Brian Wilson songs. They couldn't come up with 2 more BW songs that were in the can? Look at all those Adult Child and M.I.U. outtakes just sitting there. What were they saving those for?

This.  +1,000

Maybe the band was concerned -- perhaps embarrassed -- with all the crazy Brian songs.  Denny, Mike and Carl especially were branching out as writers and solo artists.  But still.  I've never understood the lack of Brian material on L.A.  This was in the middle of the "Brian's back" era!  Sure he was writing songs about "Solar Systems" and "Lines" but... he was cranking out all sorts of stuff.  Odd but awesome.

I remember reading in the highly suspect Steven Gaines "Heroes and Villains" book that the Beach Boys had a very hard time with the label (Warner?) excepting this album.  They hated it.  They rejected the album several times, I think.  Does anyone know what track line-ups were originally submitted and rejected?

IIRC, I think the label was VERY concerned with the band's image/marketability at the time.  Understandable.  Perhaps that is what resulted in the albums lack of direction.

Huh

EDIT:  I also remember reading that the Dennis material was siphoned away from him.  To your point Sheriff -- WTF?!  They had 5 excellent song writers, six if you include Bruce -- and one of them (Brian) was one of the greatest song writers of all time.  And they had to siphon off material from Dennis' solo project to get to 10 acceptable tracks?!!!?!?!!?!  Are you kidding me!?!  WTF.

This just doesn't make any sense.  None.

L.A. (Light Album) was/is so perplexing. It was the band's first album with their new record company, and coming off the very Brian-involved previous three albums (thus having him "back"), you would think everything possible would be done to feature Brian. And, yes, I do understand that Brian was experiencing some serious mental health problems around that time, including being institutionalized.

To some extent, they did go out of their way to include Brian material; "Good Timin" was already in the can, and 'Here Comes The Night" was a re-creation. But, why "Shortenin' Bread"? L.A. (Light Album) was supposed to be their "adult" album, a non-fun in the sun effort. I think somebody on this board referred to it as their Rumours. And, they CLOSED the album with "Shortenin' Bread!?

There had to be a better compromise. I can actually understand why songs like "Still I Dream Of It" or "It's Over Now" would be bypassed. With the nature/vibe of Carl's and Dennis's songs on L.A., they were in danger of releasing one of the biggest "downer" albums ever! But, why not include a couple more positive, upbeat Brian songs. With some lyrical tweaking (or not), "Winter Symphony" would've been great. Or "California Feelin". I mean, didn't Brian ALWAYS have some songs in process? Were "Go And Get That Girl" and "How's About A Little Bit Of Your Love" his? What else was around, I'm not sure...Maybe a better cover song?

The Beach Boys led the league in having albums rejected - Sunflower, Surf's Up, Holland, In Concert, etc. It's hard to believe L.A. (Light Album), after much back and forth, was eventually accepted. I would've sent it back so fast and demanded two more Brian Wilson songs. police
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:55 AM »

Heroes And Villains is one of the least suspect books on The Beach Boys.
I thought I heard otherwise.  Regardless, I love it.  It covers so much, is super fun to read.... and spares nothing.  All the crazy dysfunction and low-down dirt.  I read it all the time on the potty.   Grin

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »

L.A. (Light Album) was/is so perplexing. It was the band's first album with their new record company, and coming off the very Brian-involved previous three albums (thus having him "back"), you would think everything possible would be done to feature Brian. And, yes, I do understand that Brian was experiencing some serious mental health problems around that time, including being institutionalized.

To some extent, they did go out of their way to include Brian material; "Good Timin" was already in the can, and 'Here Comes The Night" was a re-creation. But, why "Shortenin' Bread"? L.A. (Light Album) was supposed to be their "adult" album, a non-fun in the sun effort. I think somebody on this board referred to it as their Rumours. And, they CLOSED the album with "Shortenin' Bread!?

There had to be a better compromise. I can actually understand why songs like "Still I Dream Of It" or "It's Over Now" would be bypassed. With the nature/vibe of Carl's and Dennis's songs on L.A., they were in danger of releasing one of the biggest "downer" albums ever! But, why not include a couple more positive, upbeat Brian songs. With some lyrical tweaking (or not), "Winter Symphony" would've been great. Or "California Feelin". I mean, didn't Brian ALWAYS have some songs in process? Were "Go And Get That Girl" and "How's About A Little Bit Of Your Love" his? What else was around, I'm not sure...Maybe a better cover song?

The Beach Boys led the league in having albums rejected - Sunflower, Surf's Up, Holland, In Concert, etc. It's hard to believe L.A. (Light Album), after much back and forth, was eventually accepted. I would've sent it back so fast and demanded two more Brian Wilson songs. police

The execs at Warners must have had very "different" expectations...
"Yeah, yeah, yeah... They're over the hill and Brian's a 300lb mess... I know.  But it's the Beach Boys!!  How bad could it be?"

Mama's little baby loves shortenin', shortenin'.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2013, 06:29:10 AM »

The execs at Warners must have had very "different" expectations...
"Yeah, yeah, yeah... They're over the hill and Brian's a 300lb mess... I know.  But it's the Beach Boys!!  How bad could it be?"

Mama's little baby loves shortenin', shortenin'.

Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx