gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:31:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which Do You Prefer?
The Beach Boys Christmas Album - 30 (71.4%)
Brian Wilson - What I Really Want For Xmas - 4 (9.5%)
Misc. 70s xmas cuts - 8 (19%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #15: The Beach Boys Christmas Album vs. WIRWFC vs. 70s xmas tunes  (Read 3812 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2012, 05:12:31 AM »

Ho, ho ho! Wishing a very Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all my fellow Smileysmilers! It's been a good year to be a fan. I wonder what 2013 holds in store ...

For the poll, options 1 & 2 are straightforward enough. Option 3 is the misc 70s xmas tracks from "Ultimate Xmas". I'm not sure what the plan was there other than the BBs were considering putting out a xmas record in the late 70s? Not sure which ones of the following would've made the cut besides those cut in 77, but thought it'd be fun to include all 70s festive tunes as an imaginary album for all you MIU era freaks. Tracks as follows (from Ultimate Xmas, wikipedia entry):

"Child of Winter (Christmas Song)" (Brian Wilson/Stephen Kalinich) – 2:49
Features Brian Wilson and Mike Love on lead vocals
1974 single-only release

"Santa's Got An Airplane" (Alan Jardine/Brian Wilson/Mike Love) – 3:09
Features Mike Love and Al Jardine on lead vocals
Released as "Loop De Loop (Flip Flop Flyin' In An Aeroplane)" on Endless Harmony Soundtrack in 1998, and again in 2000

"Christmas Time Is Here Again" (Buddy Holly/Norman Petty/Jerry Allison/new lyrics by Al Jardine) – 3:02
Features Al Jardine on lead vocals
Revised and released as "Peggy Sue" on M.I.U. Album in 1978

"Winter Symphony" (Brian Wilson) – 3:00
Features Brian Wilson on lead vocals

"(I Saw Santa) Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" (Brian Wilson/Al Jardine) – 2:23
Features Al, Matt and Adam Jardine on lead vocals

"Melekalikimaka" (aka "Kona Christmas") (Alan Jardine/Mike Love) – 2:34
Features Mike Love and Al Jardine on lead vocals
Revised and released as "Kona Coast" on M.I.U. Album in 1978

"Bells of Christmas" (Alan Jardine/Ron Altbach/Mike Love) – 2:44
Features Mike Love on lead vocals
Revised and released as "Belles of Paris" on M.I.U. Album in 1978

"Morning Christmas" (Dennis Wilson) – 3:22
Features Dennis Wilson on lead vocals

"Toy Drive Public Service Announcement" – 1:23
Recorded in 1977

"Dennis Wilson Christmas Message" – 0:31
Recorded in 1977

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:15:26 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:55:09 AM »

You didn't include 'Go And Get That Girl', aside from Holy Evening about the only genuinely decent song from the '77 sessions. Anyway, the Christmas Album is easily the best of the three selections - All I Want For Xmas doesn't even deserve inclusion, it's appalling!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:46:38 AM »

Being a big fan of Christmas music, those three entries are overall disappointing. Because of Brian's arranging skills, I always thought he could've done an awesome Christmas album, full of all kind of wonderful seasonal sounds. There is a thread below which addresses that which I hoped would explore that more.

The choice is easy. It's The Beach Boys' Christmas Album. Despite the underwhelming backing tracks, it contains 3-4 of the greatest lead vocals in Brian's history. We are lucky we got 'em recorded, even just for history's sake.

However, mention has to go to the trifecta of "Child Of Winter" - "Winter Symphony" - "Morning Christmas". Very, very enjoyable stuff.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »

Voted for the 70s stuff. Despite some missteps, there are some very enjoyable songs to be found there. "Winter Symphony" and "Morning Christmas" are both masterpieces, and I also very much enjoy "Alone on Christmas Day", "Child of Winter", "Bells of Christmas" (superior to the MIU version with an amazing a capella breakdown) and the traditional Christmas carols as sung by the extended Wilson family.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:45:45 AM »

I find the 60s album cloying, despite the spectacular vocals, but like Little Saint Nick, Auld Lang Syne (without Dennis), We Three Kings, Blue Christmas.

There's a handful of songs I like from the 70s: Winter Symphony, Morning Christmas, Alone on Christmas Day, Go and Get That Girl.

I don't mind some of Brian's solo effort at all - the title track, O Holy Night, Joy to the World, Christmas Day, Christmasy.

I also like their vocals on Winter Wonderland that they did with some country guy - though his voice almost kills it.

Chuck in Goin' South and Spring's Snowflakes and you have a decent album
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »

No Santa's Goin' To Kokomo - no vote from me!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »

I also like their vocals on Winter Wonderland that they did with some country guy - though his voice almost kills it.

That would be Collin Raye, who also sang "Sloop John B" on Stars & Stripes - Volume 1.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »

Good grief, I forgot all about Brian's Christmas album this year, and I have it.  My preference of the group albums is the original, far and away.  The song from the later offering that I like the most is Winter Symphony.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 02:13:47 AM »

The 1964 Christmas Album.
Mainly for Santa's Beard and Little Saint Nick.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx