gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:51:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two Lane Blacktop Receives Major Honor  (Read 19905 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2015, 05:15:24 PM »

An interesting tidbit for me, (& excuse me if I've mentioned this before), is that one of the more serious films he considered doing after "Two Lane Blacktop" was "Straight Time", with Dustin Hoffman.  I'm sure Jon's book mentions that Karen & I had completely different versions about him starring in "Midnight Express", but I remember after he turned down "Straight Time" I saw the role played by Harry Dean Stanton, and it was quite a few years before I saw Harry in anything that I couldn't picture Dennis playing instead...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001765/?ref_=nv_sr_1#actor
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2015, 05:50:14 PM »

An interesting tidbit for me, (& excuse me if I've mentioned this before), is that one of the more serious films he considered doing after "Two Lane Blacktop" was "Straight Time", with Dustin Hoffman.  I'm sure Jon's book mentions that Karen & I had completely different versions about him starring in "Midnight Express", but I remember after he turned down "Straight Time" I saw the role played by Harry Dean Stanton, and it was quite a few years before I saw Harry in anything that I couldn't picture Dennis playing instead...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001765/?ref_=nv_sr_1#actor

When it comes to classic Harry Dean roles, Bud in Repo Man has Dennis written all over it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2021, 02:36:48 AM »

Didn't want to start a new thread for this.

‘Two-Lane Blacktop’s’ Original Publicist on Why the Monte Hellman Classic Has Been Misunderstood for 50 Years

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/two-lane-blacktop-50th-anniversary-monte-hellman-james-taylor-1235013008/?fbclid=IwAR3RCdRuoDunTzh6m-C7hRyEfin5MXfv2oLuGG3Fi1C_1927XI9m7pH7XfI

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2021, 10:02:59 AM »

For those who wish to avoid Facebook's tracking, here's the link without their tracking code:
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/two-lane-blacktop-50th-anniversary-monte-hellman-james-taylor-1235013008/
jwoverho
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2021, 07:43:18 PM »

In the commentary track for the film, Monte (who's worked with some great actors) said that Dennis was an ideal actor in the sense that he was the most unselfconscious actor he ever directed. Dennis did his scenes as though everything that was happening was real. He seemed completely unaware of being filmed. Dennis' only real issue was remembering his lines (though there weren't that many of them).
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx