gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 02:02:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two Lane Blacktop Receives Major Honor  (Read 20033 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »

That Esquire article is pretty wild. A lot of folks credit the public disappointment with the film to the hype generated by that piece.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »

I had not heard that! Is the Esquire piece available anywhere? That radio show this morning was the first I had heard of it, and it did sound like a lot (a LOT) of hype for the film according to the critic.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 06:20:24 PM »

I had not heard that! Is the Esquire piece available anywhere? That radio show this morning was the first I had heard of it, and it did sound like a lot (a LOT) of hype for the film according to the critic.
Google...
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=two+lane+blacktop+esquire&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »

That Esquire article is pretty wild. A lot of folks credit the public disappointment with the film to the hype generated by that piece.

Was there really a sense of disappointment with the film or just complete indifference?  From what I've always read, Universal just dumped it out there without any promotion.  Pretty much the same thing they did to Dennis Hopper's The Last Movie.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »

Well, none of the preview audiences liked it! Despite what folks may say, it was given a fine initial push on premiere engagements, an the Esquire article alone was major publicity, but the audiences didn't take to it and the film was dumped into drive-ins and second-runs. A lot of other films from that era were able to build up steam quickly through word-of-mouth, but the Easy Rider audience just couldn't get into this one.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 11:49:34 PM »

Google...
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=two+lane+blacktop+esquire&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And there it is: First time I'm seeing it. Thanks!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 05:08:49 AM »

Very fond of Two Lane Blacktop, a great cult road movie...
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 05:17:11 AM »

I haven't seen it since it was released in theaters. I'll have to watch it again 'cuz I don't remember Dennis [or Taylor] doing much. Which I thought was the point at the time, so well done I suppose.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 01:48:18 PM »

I only saw this movie a year or two ago, and two things struck me.  (1). The story is so-so, but gotta love those cars!  I'm a sucker for car movies!  And (2).  Dennis really stole the show as far as the actors went.  JT is a great, great singer/songwriter, but with all due respect....an actor, he's not.  I found him to be rather robotic.  Warren was pretty good, but hard to take seriously with some of those daffy lines he had.  He could have been a lot more menacing, IMO.  But Dennis seemed to be the only one out of the three guys that seemed....er, 'natural' for want of a better word.  This movie made me wish he had gone on to appear in many more movies!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »

The story is nearly nonexistent, for a specific purpose. The choice of nonactors, same. Warren isn't supposed to be menacing, he is supposed to be a sad, unfunny clown.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »

It's been a few years since I watched this. I watched it on the now out-of-print Anchor Bay DVD (the one that came in the collectible tin). Dennis' "non-actor" acting style is very interesting in this film; it works well. I don't know that he would have been a great actor; the whole "non-actor actor" schtick doesn't work over and over on film after film. But one certainly wishes he would have got another crack at trying a film. He certainly showed more promise than the rest of the band did on the Jack Benny show, or "You Again", or "Full House", or even "Home Improvement."  LOL

I bought the Criterion DVD last year but still hadn't watched it. Now Criterion is putting the same package out on Blu-ray, so I'll probably pick that up. Dunno if I should keep the Criterion DVD set; it does have a slipcase and book and whatnot which probably won't be fully replicated on the Blu-ray package.

"Two Lane Blacktop" is definitely not the best pick for someone who likes "The Fast and the Furious" or something. You have to be in the right mood to watch it, and usually I have to be very awake and not apt to nod off. It has a leisurely pace and a conservative amount of actual dialogue.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:13:10 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 09:31:20 PM »

It's been a few years since I watched this. I watched it on the now out-of-print Anchor Bay DVD (the one that came in the collectible tin). Dennis' "non-actor" acting style is very interesting in this film; it works well. I don't know that he would have been a great actor; the whole "non-actor actor" schtick doesn't work over and over on film after film. But one certainly wishes he would have got another crack at trying a film. He certainly showed more promise than the rest of the band did on the Jack Benny show, or "You Again", or "Full House", or even "Home Improvement."  LOL

I bought the Criterion DVD last year but still hadn't watched it. Now Criterion is putting the same package out on Blu-ray, so I'll probably pick that up. Dunno if I should keep the Criterion DVD set; it does have a slipcase and book and whatnot which probably won't be fully replicated on the Blu-ray package.

"Two Lane Blacktop" is definitely not the best pick for someone who likes "The Fast and the Furious" or something. You have to be in the right mood to watch it, and usually I have to be very awake and

I must say that I agree..   I watched this several times over the years since it's initial release and finally got inthe right frame of mind to appreciate and enjoy it.  Now, I can watch it every time it comes on TV and I see bits I missed or didn't "get " the firsfew time I saw it.  It is a movie you have to WATCH.  Dialogue is sparse but a lot is taking place.   I am appreciating a  number of movies from that era that I didn't "get" when I was younger. Speaking of "road movies" fromthat era,  Any of you seen Harry and Tonto?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »

Harry And Tonto is incredible. I can't watch it with anyone else, because I weep.

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 07:17:05 PM »

The blu will not have the screenplay.

I'm a bit surprised to see dvdbeaver recommend the Masters of Cinema release over the Criterion.  The MOC may have a higher bitrate, but it also has some noticeable DVNR issues with the natural film grain processed right out.  I think the Criterion is clearly the better looking disc.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdreviews34/two-lane_blacktop.htm
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 07:33:54 PM by AvanTodd » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 08:58:01 PM »

I've seen Harry And Tonto randomly twice in the past year, both thanks to the amazing cable channel TMC. It's a very warm film, sometimes the laughs are played a little too broad and sometimes the humor can be a bit dated to its time of release, but overall it is a terrific film worth seeking out.

I can't give it away for those who haven't seen it, but the final 10 minutes are about as sentimental as you can get from a film, especially if you own or have owned a cat...just fantastic and hits home, I can't say more.

It is a deliberately slow film that develops at its own pace, and that pace seems to fit the lead character perfectly.

As far as a road trip, the scenery is more cold and realistic but still beautiful, the mode of transportation rarely matters as much as the main character(s) and the cat, the vignettes are each special in their own way and some work better than others, and the characters, especially the medicine man near the end, are always interesting.

I was disappointed to post something about the film on Facebook earlier this year and get not a single response. If I had the cash I'd buy DVD's of Harry And Tonto along with about 4 other films that impacted me this year (none made before 1980 BTW), and give them as gifts with the gift tag that reads "WATCH THIS".  Smiley

I have a few more - not road trip films but ones from this amazing era which you cannot forget after watching them - subject for another conversation.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2013, 09:23:23 PM »

I was disappointed to post something about the film on Facebook earlier this year and get not a single response. If I had the cash I'd buy DVD's of Harry And Tonto along with about 4 other films that impacted me this year (none made before 1980 BTW), and give them as gifts with the gift tag that reads "WATCH THIS".  Smiley

I have a few more - not road trip films but ones from this amazing era which you cannot forget after watching them - subject for another conversation.

I'll bite. Start the topic somewhere, I'd be interested in chatting with you about some films.

Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2013, 10:01:06 PM »

I'll bite. Start the topic somewhere, I'd be interested in chatting with you about some films.

I second this.  Not sure I could contribute much to it but would LOVE to hear about films I could have a look at. I used to love watching movies when a bit younger but got out of the habit.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »

Will do. I feel it almost has to be separated so it doesn't get overwhelmed by the number of films, and carrying it over from this thread, I think going from 1971-76 and keeping it within the range of Two Lane Blacktop would be good. And of course, my favorite era 1966-1970 in a separate entry.

Honestly, I can rattle off any number of films that are better on several levels than Two Lane Blacktop and will leave more of an impression but this isn't the thread to do that...which is why a separate one would be good.  Smiley

And I want to get away from Two Lane Blacktop because quite frankly, as cool as it is and I've posted as much in this topic, there are *so many more* that are more compelling, more unforgettable, more technically impressive, more whatever than that film, but I think the Dennis Factor carries it a bit more than the film would carry itself.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »

My love for Two Lane Blacktop mainly comes from my love for 70's road films and the work of Monte Hellman in particular.

Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »

Will do. I feel it almost has to be separated so it doesn't get overwhelmed by the number of films, and carrying it over from this thread, I think going from 1971-76 and keeping it within the range of Two Lane Blacktop would be good. And of course, my favorite era 1966-1970 in a separate entry.

Honestly, I can rattle off any number of films that are better on several levels than Two Lane Blacktop and will leave more of an impression but this isn't the thread to do that...which is why a separate one would be good.  Smiley

And I want to get away from Two Lane Blacktop because quite frankly, as cool as it is and I've posted as much in this topic, there are *so many more* that are more compelling, more unforgettable, more technically impressive, more whatever than that film, but I think the Dennis Factor carries it a bit more than the film would carry itself.

Excellent.. I will look out for it. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 10:56:08 PM »

I don't think I wrote exactly what I meant to say about Two Lane Blacktop, because I am a fan too, especially the visuals and the scenes with no dialogue - I think like the road montages in Easy Rider and even the terrific musical montages in the last half-dozen episodes of the most recent season of Breaking Bad, I feel closer to the characters when they're filmed doing normal daily activities and not speaking. Of course one of my favorite all-time scenes like this is in Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, with Redford and Katherine Ross robbing the bank manager inside his vault, set to the Bacharach South American Getaway tune. The faces and expressions just kill me every time.

Maybe closer to what I meant to say diplomatically was I wouldn't put Two Lane Blacktop in the same category as certain other films from that era, which I think may be some of the greatest films ever made and which are more compelling than Blacktop.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2013, 11:43:47 PM »

Honestly, I can rattle off any number of films that are better on several levels than Two Lane Blacktop and will leave more of an impression but this isn't the thread to do that...which is why a separate one would be good.  Smiley

You can get it at JB, which is pretty cool (edit; no, you can't) - I once stumbled across it at 2 in the morning, pre-digital channels and was pretty blown away
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:51:02 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 01:48:24 AM »

I have to disagree with you.  When I first saw Two Lane Blacktop I knew very little about Dennis and certainly wasn't the fan I am now, but the film was amazing.  There are precious few films from that era (or any other frankly) that can stand alongside this one, much less better it.

I am curious though, to the majority of posters here, would you still like the film if Dennis wasn't involved?  Would you even be interested in it?
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 02:00:28 AM »

Honestly, I can rattle off any number of films that are better on several levels than Two Lane Blacktop and will leave more of an impression but this isn't the thread to do that...which is why a separate one would be good.  Smiley

You can get it at JB, which is pretty cool (edit; no, you can't) - I once stumbled across it at 2 in the morning, pre-digital channels and was pretty blown away

hehe, actually when I said I would look out for it, I was referring to guitarfools new post Wink   But thanks for the info anyway.  I'm going to watch it tonight.

There was a commenter on a website about the film who said   "Strange that wasted Brian Wilson would ditch the road with The Beach Boys but yet show up for this, lol, Wow I gotta see? I'm in"      HAHAH,  can't quite picture Brian in a road movie :D
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 02:04:59 AM »

<vanilla slice>
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:09:30 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx