gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:19:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Albums: 1962-65 or 1967-2012: Which would you choose?
1962-1965 - 19 (32.2%)
1967-2012 - 40 (67.8%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poll: If You Could Only Keep the pre-1966 or post-1966 albums...?  (Read 31402 times)
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2014, 10:51:22 AM »

Post...without a doubt.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2014, 01:09:35 PM »

Post, but I would really miss Party and Summer Days And Summer Nights. I could get on without Party, as fun as it is.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2015, 11:36:12 PM »

'67 on, for SMiLE, BWPS and TSS alone. Im not a big fan of the old stuff anymore with the exception of Today

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »

Bringing up another old topic again

Things I couldn't live without from Pre-66
Surfer Girl
The Surfer Moon
In My Room
Don't Worry Baby
The Warmth of the Sun
Keep an Eye on Summer
I Get Around
Girls On The Beach
Little Saint Nick
Do You Wanna Dance?
When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
Please Let Me Wonder
I'm So Young
Kiss Me, Baby
She Knows Me Too Well
In The Back Of My Mind
Help Me, Rhonda
Girl Don't Tell Me
California Girls
Let Him Run Wild
You're So Good To Me
Summer Means New Love
The Little Girl I Once Knew

I'm putting the SMiLE stuff in 1966. Even though technically SMiLE would've been 1967, 'Cabinessence', 'Wonderful' (Version 1), 'Child Is Father of the Man', 'Fire' (that's what I call it), 'My Only Sunshine', 'Our Prayer', most of 'Do You Dig Worms?', 'I'm In Great Shape', 'Barnyard', 'Look (Song For Children)', 'Holidays', 'Wind Chimes', a good bit of 'Heroes and Villains', and both the instrumental backing track & piano demo for 'Surf's Up' were all recorded by the end of 1966 (I'm pretty sure). Plus as a question it's much harder to choose if the SMiLE stuff is taken out of the picture. And that includes the 'Heroes and Villains' single.

Things I couldn't live without from Post-66
Fall Breaks and Back to Winter (W. Woodpecker Symphony)
She's Goin Bald
Wind Chimes
Wonderful
Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
Can't Wait Too Long
Wild Honey
Darlin'
Friends
Wake The World
Busy Doin' Nothin'
We're Together Again
Walk On By
Do It Again
I Can Hear Music
Cotton Fields
I Went to Sleep
Time To Get Alone
Soulful Old Man Sunshine
Barbara
This Whole World
All I Wanna Do
Forever
Our Sweet Window
At My Window
Cool, Cool Water
Don't Go Near The Water
Long Promised Road
Disney Girls (1957)
Feel Flows
A Day In The Life of a Tree
Til I Die (the Stephen Desper mix)
Surf's Up
Sail On, Sailor
California Saga: California
Funky Pretty (I could live without this one more than all the others on this list)
Mount Vernon and Fairway (A Fairy Tale)
California Feelin' (Brian demo)
Had To Phone Ya
Let Us Go On This Way
Mona
Johnny Carson
Solar System
The Night Was So Young
I'll Bet He's Nice
Airplane
It's Over Now
Still I Dream Of It (that piano demo)
Brian's Back (if you squint enough to forget the irony and not listen too hard to the lyrics it's unbelievably beautiful)
Good Timin'
Endless Harmony
Summer's Gone

I've been sitting for 2 hours thinking about this. I knew it right from the beginning though.
If you took 'Surf's Up' out of the post-66 catalog, I'd choose the pre-66 stuff.
But with it, I choose the post-66 stuff.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:16:51 PM by Adult Child » Logged

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2017, 08:30:03 PM »

When I first became a fan 20+ years ago, I thought my liking 1967-onwards put me in the minority. I'm amazed that it appears that is not the case.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2017, 08:49:16 PM »

When I first became a fan 20+ years ago, I thought my liking 1967-onwards put me in the minority. I'm amazed that it appears that is not the case.

The best of their early stuff (pre-66) has that innocence, that feeling of forever, that feeling of falling in love (for me anyway). And as beautiful as all of it is, it's a very youthful thing. It's like a dream. But those later records are a bit more realistic I think. There's a lot of depth in them, a sort of world-weariness in a lot of it but also frequent moments of magic. And those later records are also much more varied stylistically. My favorite record by far is Pet Sounds, and that 65-66 stuff is the most beautiful music ever made. But I listen to Surf's Up and Love You far more than those records.

Also 20+ years ago I'd imagine most of the post-66 albums weren't in as good of critical standing as they have become.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2018, 07:46:46 PM »

'67-77 is damn cool. '63-66 is otherworldly. Life changing. Endlessly inspiring. The most beautiful music ever made.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx