gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:04:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 802617 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: July 06, 2019, 02:11:09 PM »

Sounds like we made the worlds worst salad LOL
Fitting dressing to it will be yuckety yuck mayonnaise. Evil
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:17:49 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: July 08, 2019, 02:03:33 AM »

So I’ve been hearing a lot that lately along with newer artists like Billie Eilish

Seen that name around but never took the bait. Any suggestions for an album?

She only has one album out. Electronic music backing but she has the phrasing of a jazz singer. Much of the stuff was home recorded, and all of it was recorded with just her and her brother.

And she's only 17! What a brilliant album. The three-track sequence at the end reminds me of the last three tracks on TWGMTR, which are also about saying goodbye. I had to link "You Should See Me In A Crown", as the siblings wrote it after seeing the Sherlock episode in which Jim Moriarty utters those famous words: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYlrPzF6F_U

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_We_All_Fall_Asleep,_Where_Do_We_Go%3F

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: July 08, 2019, 03:13:58 AM »

Yes, not sure why this Eilish popular. Dull music, shoulda been influenced by Lady Gaga, not the weird drone-voiced singer. Maybe girly will get better at 25. Weird, dull, inspiration-free music. Yep.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: July 08, 2019, 10:48:28 AM »

My daughter’s been listening to old recordings from the 30s , things I never heard of, trying to add a new inspiration to her writing. So I’ve been hearing a lot that lately along with newer artists like Billie Eilish

Changing the subject slightly, I'm gradually getting to grips with Throbbing Gristle's wonderfully named proto-industrial album 20 Jazz Funk Greats. (Blame RangeRover for pointing me at Psychic TV.) It's pretty minimal stuff--actually it reminds me a bit of Fear2Stop at times. This is "Hot On The Heels Of Love": 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeFbP5ygrT4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_Jazz_Funk_Greats

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: July 08, 2019, 11:03:34 AM »

On man, Throbbing Gristle is one of those bands that you have to be a little more than "a little" twisted in the head to get into.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3355 on: July 08, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »

My daughter’s been listening to old recordings from the 30s , things I never heard of, trying to add a new inspiration to her writing. So I’ve been hearing a lot that lately along with newer artists like Billie Eilish

Changing the subject slightly, I'm gradually getting to grips with Throbbing Gristle's wonderfully named proto-industrial album 20 Jazz Funk Greats. (Blame RangeRover for pointing me at Psychic TV.) It's pretty minimal stuff--actually it reminds me a bit of Fear2Stop at times. This is "Hot On The Heels Of Love": 

Throbbing Gristle was one of my influences, actually

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: July 08, 2019, 11:58:53 AM »

Exactly.  LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: July 08, 2019, 12:27:23 PM »

Well how about that?!! I've always steered clear of them because of the name. Grin

I'm listening to 20JFG for the second time (but not the last time, I'm sure) and it's making much more sense now. Wow. Pretty uncompromising stuff but that's fine with me. Wink

I don't think I'll look any further though (he said, sticking to his one-album-per-artist policy). Besides, it can't get any better than this... Roll Eyes

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: July 08, 2019, 10:22:58 PM »

One album per artist policy? What about The Who?  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3359 on: July 08, 2019, 10:55:50 PM »

Well how about that?!! I've always steered clear of them because of the name. Grin

I'm listening to 20JFG for the second time (but not the last time, I'm sure) and it's making much more sense now. Wow. Pretty uncompromising stuff but that's fine with me. Wink

I don't think I'll look any further though (he said, sticking to his one-album-per-artist policy). Besides, it can't get any better than this... Roll Eyes

Interesting fact: I learned about TG from reading a Depeche Mode biography

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: July 08, 2019, 11:45:03 PM »

Ha, yes. It's not etched in stone but for 99% of all artists I ever check out on- or offline, I generally go for and stop at that one album.

There's so much music and we only get so much time.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: July 09, 2019, 12:06:36 AM »

Ha, yes. It's not etched in stone but for 99% of all artists I ever check out on- or offline, I generally go for and stop at that one album.

But you're missing out on so much that way!  Grin I think that delving into a more complete overview of an artist/band helps you to know and understand them better. But maybe that's just me. Even the worst albums of great artists can be revealing in one way or another.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: July 09, 2019, 01:23:08 AM »

But you're missing out on so much that way!  Grin I think that delving into a more complete overview of an artist/band helps you to know and understand them better. But maybe that's just me. Even the worst albums of great artists can be revealing in one way or another.

I have every studio album by Talk Talk and U2, most albums by Captain Beefheart and The Band and many albums by Gary Numan. But really it's since delving into The Beach Boys' stuff (and to my mind seriously overdoing it) that I've changed tack.

I'll get back to It's Hard sooner or later. I got waylaid--by one album per artist. LOL   

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: July 09, 2019, 11:24:32 AM »

Gary Numan is interesting. I've been listening to "Down In The Park" quite a bit lately.

I've been contemplating reviving that Who thread to ask you about "It's Hard".  Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: July 15, 2019, 03:12:12 AM »

Gary Numan is interesting. I've been listening to "Down In The Park" quite a bit lately.

I've been contemplating reviving that Who thread to ask you about "It's Hard".  Grin

I'll get back to The Who soon--promise! Cheesy

Yes, Numan has always fascinated me. In his early days of fame (late '79, early '80) he and his music gave my self-confidence a much-needed boost.

Replicas is one of my favourite GN albums. Another is Warriors (1983). Numan has managed to attract top-notch musicians for his various band lineups over the years. Guitarist Bill Nelson and bassist Joe Hubbard were on board for the Warriors sessions. (The wikipage is worth reading.)

One of my favourite songs from the Warriors sessions, "My Car Slides (1)", was eventually left off the album and given B-side status. It's now a bonus track on the CD reissue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7t-bpzuZrw   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warriors_(Gary_Numan_album)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: July 17, 2019, 12:44:21 PM »

I just can't make up my mind about "Visions Of Your Reality", the second track on Ultimate Spinach's 1968 album Behold & See, the (in my view) superior follow-up to their self-titled debut. On the one hand it seems sincere enough. On the other, it sounds like an East Coast parody of West Coast hippie pseudo-profundities. There are the utterly over-the-top lyrics and delivery and that fuzz guitar whining throughout. That said, the album as a whole hangs together well, so it was going too far to leave "VOYR" off the CD reissue. It never fails to make me smile though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArfQ6PW52-c

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behold_%26_See

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: July 20, 2019, 03:51:13 AM »

I just can't make up my mind about "Visions Of Your Reality", the second track on Ultimate Spinach's 1968 album Behold & See, the (in my view) superior follow-up to their self-titled debut.

Staying with this album... The next track after "VOYR" on the original LP was "Jazz Thing", here in the original full-length version I and the rest of the village used to enjoy back in the day. Astonishingly, it has had more than two minutes chopped out of it for the CD reissue! Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1TIcEY84oU

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: July 21, 2019, 05:13:50 PM »

Native band The Prunettes & 55 Goof's freshest Negativity TV Negate. Best song: "Land Tom Cruiser". It's hot rod neo psychedelic sunshine pop song with jazz funk hue.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: August 06, 2019, 06:56:39 AM »

The CD I burned of my favourite SMiLE mix (Aquarian SMiLE).

I got mixed feelings from it today. It's as uplifting as ever because of its youthful enthusiasm and all-inclusiveness (and its beauty as sheer sound) but saddening too as these days I have little contact with its maker. Nothing acrimonious--far from it. Situations change. It's all part of it, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:41:41 AM by JK » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: September 04, 2019, 03:25:41 AM »

U2 have a song for every occasion. I love those guys. Roll Eyes

And it's true, folks--some days are better than others. Smokin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQj0hzwCjpI

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: September 06, 2019, 03:30:23 AM »

This is for NOLA BB Fan, who I hope is okay. Procol Harum's "A Salty Dog" ls her favourite track from 1969 (I looked it up!). Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOj3kJKy-_U

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: September 09, 2019, 07:17:04 AM »

Listening to God Bless Tiny Tim. Marvellous singer. Highlight: "As Time Goes By" & few else.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: September 09, 2019, 07:31:08 AM »

Thank you so much for posting this JK . Yes, I love this song.
 I'm okay - just dealing with something a loved one is going through (look up term Sundowning or Sundown Syndrome).

While paying bills and other fun stuff, listened to an album of Carl Perkins - Sun Recordings. Very enjoyable.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:34:47 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: September 09, 2019, 07:40:33 AM »

Listening to God Bless Tiny Tim. Marvellous singer. Highlight: "As Time Goes By" & few else.
Check this, folks. It's great, it's cool. 3D Would be nice if my recommendations would be listened too, y'know?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: September 09, 2019, 12:58:38 PM »

Please be advised that I didn't see your post until I had made my post. (In other words we were writing posts at the same time)
I need to check out Tiny Tim more. At the time I thought he was someone who came on the scene and was a star overnight. But read one of Bob Dylan's books and he said that Tiny Tim was part of the "pass the hat" coffeehouse scene in New York in the early 60s.

The song had a nice retro feel. However I can only take so much of his trilling at one time.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx