gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:17:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 802611 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: June 17, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »

Listened to Sly & The Family Stone's Fresh. Sly Stone was fascinating.

He was. I have an anthology of his stuff on CD. Some of it's a little eccentric but most of it's sensational! God, you could easily devote an entire topic to the man. I like the way he takes the simplest ideas and builds an entire song out of them.

This is my favourite "less is more" song by anyone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrY81aBYb9c

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyday_People

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: June 25, 2019, 02:00:16 AM »

Been listening to the Lene Lovich album Flex, thanks to my friend (top link in signature) and her alternative '80s topic at "my" hobby forum. This is "Joan"--love the chord at 0:23! Roll Eyes     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7FkY5zpcQ0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flex_(album)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: June 27, 2019, 03:46:05 AM »

3 things - dislike Sly Stone; listened to Lene Lovich's 2 albums - debut & Flex. Fave songs - few, f.ex. "Telepathy", "Million", "Home" ("House"? what's the title, didn't listen to Lene's music since 2013); fan towards Forever Changes.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: June 29, 2019, 02:32:57 AM »

Albums about loss often have an extra sheen to them and as such have always fascinated me. John Newman's Tribute (2013) is one such album.

The opening title track begins with a long, long list of Newman's influences over the decades. Five years ago, when I bought the album, I was foolish enough to write down as many of these names as I could hear. One problem is that a nice lady keeps anouncing the next decade, effectively blotting out what Mr Newman is saying. Another is that the strings keep getting louder! The recited list is not online, or in a video of the song. Perhaps one day John N will publish it. Or maybe someone without cloth ears or with better equipment can do better than I did. And I almost forgot, there's this chart which comes with the CD that might help you fill in the missing names (see below). Anyway, this is what I made of it, glitches and all:

"Nina Simone, Ray Charles, Elvis, Wilson Pickett, Aaron Neville, Aretha Franklin, The Band, **** [Brian Auger? Brian Wilson??], Beatles, Booker T & the MG's, Dusty Springfield, Edwin Starr, The Elgins, Etta James, The Four Tops, Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, Gloria Jones, Ike and Tina Turner, Jackie Wilson, The Jacksons, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Ruffin, Jr. Walker and the All-Stars, The Mar-Keys [or The Bar-Kays], Martha Reeves, Marvin Gaye, The Meters, Otis Redding, The Rolling Stones, Sly and The Family Stone, Spencer Davis Group, Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, The Temptations, Al Green, Bill Withers, Bobby Womack, The Commodores, Fleetwood Mac, The Isley Brothers, James Brown, Jimmy Cliff, John Martyn, KC and the Sunshine Band, Lee Konitz?, Earl J? [Earl-Jean perhaps?], ****, Quincy Jones, ****, The Cure, Michael Donovan?, [The Clash, David Bowie,] ****, Joy Division, McFadden & Whitehead, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, Run DMC, Solomon Burke, Sugarhill Gang, Teena Marie, Womack & Womack, Chaka Khan, Adam Ant, ****, New Order, Basement Jaxx, 2 Pac, The Avalanches, D 12?, Daft Punk, Radiohead, Ben Harper?, ****, Dillinger, Roni Size, Shy FX, Fatboy Slim, Black Keys, Fat Freddy's Drop, Bon Iver, Public Enemy, Massive Attack, John Mayer, [Amy Winehouse], Kings of Leon, ****, The Cinematic Orchestra, Jamie T, OutKast, The Maccabees, Mark Ronson, Maxino ***?, MGMT, Queens of the Stone Age, Metronomy, Plan B, Arctic Monkeys, Ray Lamontagne, The Strokes, Arcade Fire, Damien Rice, Kanye West, Adele, Ella Eyre?, Beyonce, Ceelo Green, Emili Sandé, Chris Cross, Adam Ant?, Rudimental, Jay-Z, James Blake, Florence + The Machine."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5W1fdUI19g

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribute_(John_Newman_album)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 02:34:58 AM by JK » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: July 02, 2019, 04:26:12 PM »

Mishmash playlists created by great poster - ME. 3D My inspiration to create playlists is Larry the blogger I used to tell about in gen. music threads. He posts groovy playlists in his main blog. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: July 03, 2019, 04:35:47 AM »

Yesterday I played Primal Scream's 1992 EP Dixie Narco for the first time since six years ago when one of my doggies had to be put down. I used to play "Screamadelica" (the long track linked below) when I was bathing his infected foot, as it lasted the ten minutes this operation required:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-JtmHJ6ZgI

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: July 03, 2019, 04:20:43 PM »

Mishmash playlists created by great poster - ME. 3D My inspiration to create playlists is Larry the blogger I used to tell about in gen. music threads. He posts groovy playlists in his main blog. 3D
Thank you, dear. Fave song in linked playlist is "Brouhaha's Broilers Beat" by Harry Prudencial Ft. Doo Doo Run 'Roo Cake Kenga-ite Germ-A-Dite Phew Belle Ugly Kokomo-cosmos. Neat-ie. 3D

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: July 04, 2019, 05:42:21 AM »

Been on a John Newman kick of late. I came across this joyous video last night by Sigala featuring John and Nile Rodgers: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze6H75NCUs8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Give_Me_Your_Love_(Sigala_song)

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: July 04, 2019, 04:48:46 PM »

Thank you, dear. Fave song in linked playlist is "Brouhaha's Broilers Beat" by Harry Prudencial Ft. Doo Doo Run 'Roo Cake Kenga-ite Germ-A-Dite Phew Belle Ugly Kokomo-cosmos. Neat-ie. 3D
To me, the fave is "Broth Jokesta Trolled The Beach Guys With Lunacy, Idiocy And The Like" by Brupublicans Droning The Electronic Sandwich Machinery In Pink Beside A Plastic Toy Restaurant With People Turning Into Dolls To Fit In That Eating Building (Ft. Googlibiter The Internet Raccoon & Special Guest Jersey Lactose De Bambinowski)

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3334 on: July 04, 2019, 05:06:03 PM »

My daughter’s been listening to old recordings from the 30s , things I never heard of, trying to add a new inspiration to her writing. So I’ve been hearing a lot that lately along with newer artists like Billie Eilish

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: July 04, 2019, 05:18:56 PM »

I've been listening to Th Ink Spots a lot lately. Most of their early stuff from the 30's.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: July 04, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »

My daughter’s been listening to old recordings from the 30s , things I never heard of, trying to add a new inspiration to her writing. So I’ve been hearing a lot that lately along with newer artists like Billie Eilish
As youngsters would say "Kewl". 3D It's fave time in music industry. Nice kind songs. Zero idea who's this Eilish guy. I hate new millennium music.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3337 on: July 04, 2019, 05:59:39 PM »

As youngsters would say "Kewl". 3D It's fave time in music industry. Nice kind songs. Zero idea who's this Eilish guy. I hate new millennium music.

She’s a girl actually. Probably Jaymie’s current favorite when she listens to current stuff which truthfully isn’t that often actually

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: July 05, 2019, 02:17:23 AM »

I've been listening to Th Ink Spots a lot lately. Most of their early stuff from the 30's.  Grin

Ah! I do like "Do I Worry":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgu0923rv8U

I first heard it in an episode of the classic TV series The Singing Detective. I see The Inkspots were left off The Doo Wop Box for being an African-American group singing in a "white" style. H'mm.

Seen that name around but never took the bait. Any suggestions for an album?

Wow, Billy, it's clear Jaymie is destined to go places! Roll Eyes

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: July 05, 2019, 02:45:40 AM »

I mentioned Ink Spots few times, yep. 3D & it's absolutely true, Bill Kenny sounds *very* white. Kept thinking it's white crooner till smb. set the record straight. Then I google it & there it is, guy's black. Needless to say, it's been quite revelation. Fave song by IS - "If I Didn't Care". Jolly lovely.

SBonilla
« Reply #3340 on: July 05, 2019, 05:23:00 AM »

I mentioned Ink Spots few times, yep. 3D & it's absolutely true, Bill Kenny sounds *very* white. Kept thinking it's white crooner till smb. set the record straight. Then I google it & there it is, guy's black. Needless to say, it's been quite revelation. Fave song by IS - "If I Didn't Care". Jolly lovely.

Their name tells you that they were unlike The Modernaires.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: July 05, 2019, 06:20:13 AM »

Kinda makes sense [ink is black]. I don't think band names big deal. I care about music, hence the voice comment. He does sing like white. Re; Modernaires - good band with great lead singer. Fave song - ''I Know Why'', beautiful Glenn Miller song.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: July 05, 2019, 02:32:48 PM »

I first heard it in an episode of the classic TV series The Singing Detective. I see The Inkspots were left off The Doo Wop Box for being an African-American group singing in a "white" style. H'mm.

"Do I Worry?" is a good one. I also really like "If I Didn't Care", "Address Unknown", "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire", "It's All Over But The Crying", "Whispering Grass(Don't Tell The Trees)" , "The Java Jive", "The Gypsy", and the very underrated "Swingin' On The Strings", recorded with original member Jerry Daniels, who was replaced with Bill Kenny.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3343 on: July 05, 2019, 09:14:38 PM »

She only has one album out. Electronic music backing but she has the phrasing of a jazz singer. Much of the stuff was home recorded, and all of it was recorded with just her and her brother.

It’s funny you say that re:Jaymie. Originally Dana and I were going to teach her how to write and produce and such. Well she’s nearly surpassed us on her own and she’s actually a full fledged member of the band. When we work on music we’re not her parents, we’re band mates , and there’s a very clear understanding there

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: July 05, 2019, 09:36:32 PM »

I checked few songs by Eilish - meh, yawn, not to music taste, hate these weirdly popular young artists. Cheesy
Shan't get back that 15 minutes. Geek

Jaymie's taste is varied. Can't say the same, deliberate decision to be music-wise narrow-minded. 3D

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3345 on: July 05, 2019, 09:54:25 PM »

I’m open minded...to an extent. I don’t care for modern rap or country for instance.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: July 06, 2019, 05:06:50 AM »

I’m open minded...to an extent. I don’t care for modern rap or country for instance.
Ha! Rap's boring, agree, read zzzzz. Cheesy  Boo, rap 'songs', boo! We must get petition to smash fresh fruits at this dullfest & put barricades against it. police Everybody, see to it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3347 on: July 06, 2019, 06:58:24 AM »

I actually like some rap up until a certain point. The current stuff,well, I would use rotten fruit as opposed to fresh...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: July 06, 2019, 07:25:22 AM »

I actually like some rap up until a certain point. The current stuff,well, I would use rotten fruit as opposed to fresh...
And stalest boiled egg. police

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3349 on: July 06, 2019, 07:57:37 AM »

Sounds like we made the worlds worst salad:lol

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx