gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:11:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805518 times)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: May 05, 2017, 11:53:40 PM »

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: May 06, 2017, 05:54:10 AM »

I rediscovered this fantastic cut while repairing a topic at my other board.

From 1967, these are Gabor Szabo and The California Dreamers with "Are You There?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miGRscAc3tw

Where is that posted?  Groovy Songs from the Sixties?  I want to add it to the Sunshine Pop thread at PSF.  I know the artist, but have never heard the album.  Got to check more of Szabo's music.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:33:10 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: May 06, 2017, 09:59:29 AM »

Johnny burnette- train kept a rollin'

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: May 06, 2017, 10:31:10 PM »

Really enjoying the John Coltrane Stardust album and the 3 great albums MuddyWaters cut with Johnny Winters.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: May 07, 2017, 02:29:28 AM »

From 1967, these are Gabor Szabo and The California Dreamers with "Are You There?":

Where is that posted?  Groovy Songs from the Sixties?  I want to add it to the Sunshine Pop thread at PSF.  I know the artist, but have never heard the album.  Got to check more of Szabo's music.

I started on the album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNJ95ZDCi0w) but gave up quickly. Browsing through it later, the lesser known stuff comes off best, maybe for that reason. But it's all a matter of taste. However, "Are You There" is worth the price of admission alone.

This is what I heard (and saw) this morning. And quite an earful/eyeful is it too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-IC8ezynE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_(musician)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: May 08, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: May 08, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »

Hi, Mari. I've got ^^^^^^^^^^ lined up for playing after I'm finished with Sparks's A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing ...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: May 09, 2017, 08:59:43 AM »

ah, John. Always taking up my suggestions. I do admire your willingness to give anything a listen. Which sort of reminds me, have you gotten around to Ege Bamyasi yet?

Now, this is some good i-don't-have-to-go-into-work today music. "Drops in the River" is a wonderful song. Listening to Fleet Foxes is like getting lost in the woods, immersed in the sudden beauty of nature.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:47:35 PM by undercover-m » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: May 09, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »

ah, John. Always taking up my suggestions. I do admire your willingness to give anything a listen. Which sort of reminds me, have you gotten around to Ege Bamyasi yet?

Hi, Mari. Well... when you or Josh (regards!) or the captain or Will or anybody suggests something the only way to find out what it sounds like is to let it loose on one's flappy bits.Smokin

As for Ege Bamyasi----what can I say? Probably best not to say anything.Grin

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: May 11, 2017, 10:10:10 AM »

I started on the album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNJ95ZDCi0w) but gave up quickly. Browsing through it later, the lesser known stuff comes off best, maybe for that reason. But it's all a matter of taste. However, "Are You There" is worth the price of admission alone.

This is what I heard (and saw) this morning. And quite an earful/eyeful is it too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-IC8ezynE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_(musician)

"Are You There" turned out to be the best one, far and away.  Too many of the others were way to common "things to listen to while pushing a shopping cart" types.  I played some of his other tracks, and will investigate more later.  He is a name I have heard for years, without giving it much of a chance.

The Gas track had very interesting visuals, but musically goes on too long.  I know you like experimental/electronic/ambient.  Not the kind of thing I would sit back and play with my eyes closed.  I've tried to get into Krautrock/kosmisch music before when Josh brought up Can.  More disturbing on my nerves, than relaxing.  I listen to some of Eno's stuff as background sometimes, but think his Rock music is much better.  I love Roxy Music.  Wish he would have stayed with them.  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:17:13 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: May 11, 2017, 10:26:14 AM »

I've tried the Fleet Foxes before.  Must have been something Mari suggested.  Listened to as much of Sun Giant as I could.  Not too good.  Could hardly get through a complete song.  Sorry.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: May 11, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »

Mari's other pick turned out to be of great interest.  Jay Som is an artist on the horizon.  I played the whole album.  This is not so different than what Jesca Hoop does.  I love Swing Out Sister, and the Som Band reminds me a bit of that.  This could grow on me.  It is instantly likeable!  Morning music - a walk in the air.  I have listened to some of the Turn Into album from 2016 - not official.  Some unfinished music, and stuff I guess you could call outtakes that didn't make the debut.

That was in the early afternoon, a couple of days ago (when you first posted).  After dinner and some Tv-time, I came right back and played a bunch of the live stuff.  As I said to you that night, Mari, I have some videos to put up, but the need for sleep got in the way.  Will get them up soon.

"Bus Song" - after playing the album, I played some of the tracks she and her band have on youtube live.  This is one powerful song.  Love the oriental flavor.  Live, I see they are playing guitars, but listening, some of it sounds like they are using Japanese instruments.  I have yet gone looking for lyric sheets and what they are using on the studio sessions.  It might be a dulcimer.  You can get that kind of sound from one.  I keyed in her name, and couldn't find very much about her or the band.

Oo -#3, "Remain" - like mid-70's Joni...excellent.  "Billion Dogs" has my toes tapping.  Great guitar at the end of "One More Time, Please" - yes, more please.  "Baybee" - watched the official video, then a live version.  Very very good tune.

I liked or loved every track.  When I got to the last one, "for light", I had something on my mind to pull up next... Boz Scaggs' "Can I Make it Last (Or Will it Just Be Over)" from 1971:  https://youtu.be/g_insxlS5jU

The last thing I watched that night was not from the album.  "I Think You're Alright":  https://youtu.be/m7ym6I3qQhM

So, a good find, indeed.  I will put more of my found videos up at PSF.  Those folks need to hear this.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: May 12, 2017, 01:43:34 AM »

Mari's other pick turned out to be of great interest.  Jay Som is an artist on the horizon.  I played the whole album.  This is not so different than what Jesca Hoop does.  I love Swing Out Sister, and the Som Band reminds me a bit of that.  This could grow on me.  It is instantly likeable!  Morning music - a walk in the air.  I have listened to some of the Turn Into album from 2016 - not official.  Some unfinished music, and stuff I guess you could call outtakes that didn't make the debut.

I have Turn Into lined up next. I was most impressed with Everybody Works. Another classic Mari selection. :=)

Jay Som isn't a band but a multi-instrumentalist. Melina Duterte plays and sings everything herself, with the single exception of some background voices at the end of "For Light". You can read a little more about her here: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22982-everybody-works/y

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: May 14, 2017, 03:34:15 AM »

That was in the early afternoon, a couple of days ago (when you first posted).  After dinner and some Tv-time, I came right back and played a bunch of the live stuff.  As I said to you that night, Mari, I have some videos to put up, but the need for sleep got in the way.  Will get them up soon.

"Bus Song" - after playing the album, I played some of the tracks she and her band have on youtube live.  This is one powerful song.  Love the oriental flavor.  Live, I see they are playing guitars, but listening, some of it sounds like they are using Japanese instruments.  I have yet gone looking for lyric sheets and what they are using on the studio sessions.  It might be a dulcimer.  You can get that kind of sound from one.  I keyed in her name, and couldn't find very much about her or the band.

So, a good find, indeed.  I will put more of my found videos up at PSF.  Those folks need to hear this.

Shows how well I read your (or anybody's) posts, Will. I only discovered the live stuff yesterday. Apparently her band consists of Oliver Pannell (guitar), Dylan Allard (bass) and Zachary Elsasser (drums)----or it did in March (http://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2017/03/27/meet-emerging-new-artist-jay-som-on-new-hot). I've also seen the name Daniel Mandrychenko listed more recently as her guitarist instead of Pannell. Time will tell...

I see they're in Amsterdam this month. If I wasn't such a stuffy old stay-at-home...

Mari's struck gold again. :=)        

[Edit: I see I have a valid excuse not to attend the concert, namely a prior commitment.]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:43:10 AM by JK » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: May 15, 2017, 12:32:35 AM »

Glad you two have attached yourselves onto Jay Som. I've only listened to those two albums once through, but I'd like to revist more.

I was playing this song some minutes ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPESpC9sR5M

Now I find myself listening to the rest of the album... and enjoying every bit of it.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: May 15, 2017, 02:40:52 AM »

Glad you two have attached yourselves onto Jay Som. I've only listened to those two albums once through, but I'd like to revist more.

I was playing this song some minutes ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPESpC9sR5M

Now I find myself listening to the rest of the album... and enjoying every bit of it.

The live performance by Jay Som is quite something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPkcS8uEr6s

Yes, George delivers big-time on All Things Must Pass. "A magic man", as Jeff Lynne described him in a documentary about the Traveling Wilburys.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: May 16, 2017, 03:32:30 AM »

Bumped into this while looking for something else. And it's rather good (assuming this is your bag):

https://soundcloud.com/martins-duselis

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: May 18, 2017, 11:45:19 AM »

Dream-pop duo Beach House is releasing their B-Sides and Rarities album on June 30th. Listening to "Chariot" now:
https://beachhouse.bandcamp.com/album/b-sides-and-rarities

Sounds like a Depression Cherry outtake. Stoked to hear "new" material from them.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: May 21, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »

Acid king- middle of nowhere, center of everywhere

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: May 22, 2017, 11:48:44 AM »

Yes, George delivers big-time on All Things Must Pass. "A magic man", as Jeff Lynne described him in a documentary about the Traveling Wilburys.
I bought the album after just a few listens. Haven't listened to it in a few days, but this feels like an album I'll cherish for a long time to come.

Currently jammin' to this:

I'm gonna get more cereal.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: May 22, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »

Hi, Mari. Well, it's confession time again: I tried Beach House the other night (Depressed Cherry or something) but it didn't get through, I'm afraid. Sorry!

On a more positive note, Jay Som played Amsterdam a couple of nights back. I'll see if I can find a review or a video... 

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: May 28, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »

Hi, Mari. Well, it's confession time again: I tried Beach House the other night (Depressed Cherry or something) but it didn't get through, I'm afraid. Sorry!

On a more positive note, Jay Som played Amsterdam a couple of nights back. I'll see if I can find a review or a video... 
Beach House seems to be a hit-or-miss kind of band. The unifying sound in all of their songs turns some people off; I personally can't get enough of Legrand's voice and that dreamy guitar, even if it does kind of sound the same. But hey, i appreciate you giving it a try.

This is really speaking to me right now. What a way to start a morning:

I'm thinking of really focusing on this year's releases. It's almost half way through the year, and I need to catch up.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: May 29, 2017, 01:37:21 AM »

Beach House seems to be a hit-or-miss kind of band. The unifying sound in all of their songs turns some people off; I personally can't get enough of Legrand's voice and that dreamy guitar, even if it does kind of sound the same. But hey, i appreciate you giving it a try.

Well, you know----nothing ventured, etc.

Actually, I'm back listening to another undercover-m recommendation, Canicular Days by Dråpe. Odd, in a way, that I really like this and not BH...

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: May 29, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »

I completely forgot about that band. I think I discovered them about a year ago. I'm listening to Relax/Relapse, and it's a lot more Tame Impala-y than I remember. I'm surprised that didn't draw me back to listen to them more at the time.

Anyway, it seems like most of their music is only available digitally, which is sort of a bummer because I'm on a CD-buying kick right now. Same goes for another recent discovery, Belle Mare. Lovely female vocals, if anyone wants to check that out here (although I'm starting to think this thread is just one big conversation between me and John K Tongue).

https://bellemare.bandcamp.com/album/the-boat-of-the-fragile-mind-ep

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: May 31, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »

If the seamless transition between "God Is Love" and "Mercy Mercy Me" doesn't wow you, you're not cool enough to listen to this.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx