gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:30:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805471 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: February 11, 2017, 01:48:30 AM »

I assumed that would be your favorite.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: February 11, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »

Hey Mari, what are those last two albums? It's easier to ask than to start hunting about...
I made the last one, Springtime Carnivore's debut self-titled album, linkable. Click on the album to listen.

I forgot to do that with Swans's To Be Kind. however. I revisited some songs last night (the shorter ones, because that's easier). I don't know if Bubs has already convinced you to listen to them.

I'm gonna have to click on your linkables more often.  I thought it was just a picture.  Springtime Carnivore is very likeable!  Might take me a few listens to get into her vocals, but the music is solid.

Swans... Still looking for a track I like well enough to comment on.  Will keep trying.

This one's pretty easy to like: "No Cure for the Lonely" by Swans

I listened, and can see why you like them.  You seem to like deep gruff voices so much.  I remember when we met you liked Lee Hazelwood.  Do you still listen to him?

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: February 11, 2017, 10:59:44 PM »

JK, I'm curious to see what you think of this song.

I like it. I see THKOH have been around for at least eight years and I'd never heard of them. A familiar tale these days, I'm afraid, with so incredibly many bands around... 

Your song led into this one from their debut album. More good stuff. Nice to see the guys having fun:

https://youtu.be/TKw7G6n7U9M

As for Can, I'm afraid the inevitable has happened----the brilliant Tago Mago was enough for me. There was some problem with the playing speed of Ege Bamyasi and I just couldn't get into Future Days. I hope Josh will be able to forgive me some day. Grin   
Actually, THKoH broke up late 2013, although the lead singer is involved in a newer band called Rolls Bayce, if that's any interest to you.
I was sort of curious what you thought of the song because it has a bit of a Vampire Weekend vibe to it, and in the past VW hasn't quite gotten to you (yet).

What am I listening to right now?

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: February 12, 2017, 04:32:00 AM »

Actually, THKoH broke up late 2013, although the lead singer is involved in a newer band called Rolls Bayce, if that's any interest to you.
I was sort of curious what you thought of the song because it has a bit of a Vampire Weekend vibe to it, and in the past VW hasn't quite gotten to you (yet).

Sadly, your latest vid is blocked in my country.

I shall check out Rolls Bayce----thanks for the heads up.

As for VW: As you say, not quite, not yet. Grin

I've been listening to this:

https://youtu.be/h5TyjGkyz30

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: February 13, 2017, 05:49:26 PM »

Blind melons self-titled debut cd, really cool mellow cd

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: February 16, 2017, 02:00:05 AM »

Hey Mari, what are those last two albums? It's easier to ask than to start hunting about...
I made the last one, Springtime Carnivore's debut self-titled album, linkable. Click on the album to listen.

I forgot to do that with Swans's To Be Kind. however. I revisited some songs last night (the shorter ones, because that's easier). I don't know if Bubs has already convinced you to listen to them.

I'm gonna have to click on your linkables more often.  I thought it was just a picture.  Springtime Carnivore is very likeable!  Might take me a few listens to get into her vocals, but the music is solid.

Swans... Still looking for a track I like well enough to comment on.  Will keep trying.

I listened, and can see why you like them.  You seem to like deep gruff voices so much.  I remember when we met you liked Lee Hazelwood.  Do you still listen to him?

Not very often, but I'll sometimes play a song or two.
I'm always jumping around to something new--you know how I am.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: March 04, 2017, 11:00:19 AM »

Neil young-i'm the ocean

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: March 08, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

Improving with each listen: The new Shins (FINALLY!):

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: March 08, 2017, 01:30:16 PM »

Has anyone else heard this? I came upon Boyarin's self-titled album by sheer accident. Wow.

https://soundcloud.com/msboyarin

Scroll down to "album"----you won't be disappointed...

Only want to hear one track? Make that "Emergency Exit".

www.microcultures.fr/en/project/view/boyarin-first-album

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: March 08, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »

You think so? I'm still lukewarm at best on the four tracks that are out, which makes me uneasy about the rest.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: March 08, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »

You think so? I'm still lukewarm at best on the four tracks that are out, which makes me uneasy about the rest.
Yup Smiley After the third run-through, I actually really like it. More than Port of Morrow, for that matter. It's a neat album with just 1-2 throwaway tracks.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: March 09, 2017, 01:13:07 PM »

JK, I'm curious to see what you think of this song.

I like it. I see THKOH have been around for at least eight years and I'd never heard of them. A familiar tale these days, I'm afraid, with so incredibly many bands around... 

Your song led into this one from their debut album. More good stuff. Nice to see the guys having fun:

https://youtu.be/TKw7G6n7U9M

As for Can, I'm afraid the inevitable has happened----the brilliant Tago Mago was enough for me. There was some problem with the playing speed of Ege Bamyasi and I just couldn't get into Future Days. I hope Josh will be able to forgive me some day. Grin   

"Lunacy" held my attention for the first two minutes, then it starts sounding like a Pink Floyd re-tread.  You linked a list, so I let it play while doing stuff.  Most of Swans is too loud and abrasive, but sometimes a melody makes it thru.  I thought "Avatar" was very good, even the singer - guess I'm getting more used to his voice.  Again, a bit too much like Floyd - must be their favorite band.

I made it thru "A Piece of the Sky" for the first time, all 19 minutes!  Was okay.  Don't know how often I might play it, but melody is there.  The last four minutes sound like a new song is starting...I hear a new influence, Basement period Dylan.  I jumped over to spotify, amazingly Dylan is another artist that won't let his music be part of youtube, and tried to figure out what track it was reminding me of... best guess is "Clothes Line Saga" - or maybe something else from Dylan's '67-'70 music.  I was playing Self Portrait last Saturday, maybe it was something from that.  I'll play that part of "APOTS" later, and try to figure it out.  Does mean that Swans have more than one influence.

Then, your other link caught my eye.  Must say, you have a good ear for fresh Pop music.  And Hungry Kids of Hungry is very good Pop!  Another of your link-to-a-list deals, I let it play all the way thru.  Couldn't help it.  So many of the tracks hit-the-spot.  I thought the track you linked was good, but not one of my very favorites.  Those are:  "Eat Your Heart Out" - sure to grow with further listening.   "Arrest This Heart" - not so different than something Sam might do.  "When Yesterday's Gone" and "Sharp Shooter" - nice early 80's feel.  "Do Or Die" - reminds me of Midnight Oil, an old 80's band popular in my MTV years (you know, back when they actually played music).  "Set It Right" - ahh, a Brisbane band.  Now the Midnight Oil reference makes sense.  Didn't know that 'til I got to the track and saw it mentioned in comments.  I've checked out more Aussie bands since meeting Josh and Alan, than in any time in my life.  I didn't take any more notes, some of them were playing while I did chores in the entertainment room.  When I sat back down to make my post, I noticed John's comment/link to "Set It Right" - their first single.  Will check the year for that and do some reading about them.  Had a second listen to what was maybe my favorite today, "When Yesterday's Gone" - this is very xtc, maybe from 1983/'84 period.  What did you think of their cover of the Tame Impala track?

Went back to see what Rolls Bayce sounded like.  Played "Don't Get Me Wrong", "Inside Out" and "On My Own" - not as good as HKoH, but okay.  I'll have to check more, later.  Too bad the band broke up.

Thanks again for the link.  Great new find.  I'll be all modern music lover before you know it! Wink   

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: March 09, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »

Not very often, but I'll sometimes play a song or two.
I'm always jumping around to something new--you know how I am.
melody creeps in... "The River that Runs with Love Won't Run Dry" - nice track by Swans.  Found one I like very much, after many tries.  I played Swans for about an hour today.  This is from The Burning World (1989) - will check that whole album out soon as I can rotate it in my mix.  Is it something you have heard/own?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: March 09, 2017, 02:33:07 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwnnpKcP0Gw Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: March 10, 2017, 03:09:12 AM »

The Fury (extended version)----Gary Numan. "GOK" is not the BB song...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: March 10, 2017, 05:38:11 AM »

Yup Smiley After the third run-through, I actually really like it. More than Port of Morrow, for that matter. It's a neat album with just 1-2 throwaway tracks.
well my pre-order became available last night for download last night, so I've got it queued up for today. I haven't really lived a Shins album since Chutes, but I am hoping for the best. Great voice, good lyricist and a production style that sounds...I don't even know the word. Clean? Just so damn professional, polished. Idk. Anyway, fingers crossed.

Valerie June's album also came out, and I'm excited for that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: March 16, 2017, 05:04:16 AM »

After the term "baggy" was explained to me (see below), I went in search of music from that era and am now in the middle of an album by Inspiral Carpets called Life. I tried several albums by The Happy Mondays first but they simply didn't appeal. This one does----so far:

https://youtu.be/QVAtiJNkuRQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baggy

Scaroline No
« Reply #2992 on: March 16, 2017, 05:52:29 AM »

After the term "baggy" was explained to me (see below), I went in search of music from that era and am now in the middle of an album by Inspiral Carpets called Life. I tried several albums by The Happy Mondays first but they simply didn't appeal. This one does----so far:

Today I learned that "baggy" is a style of music, lol. I'm going to check out that Life album later today. I know only one Inspiral Carpets song - This Is How It Feels. I've always liked it. It came to me by way of a compilation cd called The Ongoing History of New Music (vol. 1, I think). I also only know one piece of Inspiral Carpets trivia: Oasis' Noel Gallagher used to be the Carpets' roadie.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: March 18, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »

DJ Skeli- relax ya mind instrumental mix

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: March 18, 2017, 12:17:20 PM »

Like Madchester, it all seemed so manufactured and heard it all before.  I didn't care for any of it.  Not surprised you could find nothing of any worth by Happy Mondays, they were crap.  I guess on drugs they thought it sounded good.
Not to say being from Manchester wasn't a good thing, they had good bands in earlier times.  And one popped-in in the early 90's.  No, not The Stone Roses, though somehow -I never "heard" the connection, influenced Oasis.  Like The
Jam, power in action!  I loved Oasis from the very first note.  I own everything they ever did on vinyl, Cd and DVD.  After the break, all I can say is the brothers need each other.

"Acquiesce" - one of their best b-sides from a band that made incredible b-sides.  I'll post two versions.  This one is very early and raw, where the only thing they needed was a better drummer:

https://youtu.be/jb20YGMb9O4       days past when

"Acquiesce" was later released as a radio single in America to promote the Masterplan album (a clutch of single b-sides) in 1998, it reached #24 on the US Modern Rock Chart, based on radio play.  Let's go back a couple of years, to
1996, when they were rock solid, and had that new drummer.  I only got to see them once, this is from that tour, tho from Main Road:

https://youtu.be/zixWZBWSt_w        at the top of their game  

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: March 18, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »

The Stone Roses are one of the greatest bands ever. There's no doubt in my mind that if they hadn't fallen apart so soon they would've been the massive group out of Manchester instead of (or along with) Oasis, and would have been much greater than Oasis. Their influence on Oasis I think had a lot more to do with their attitude, and the fact that the Roses came from Manchester probably gave Noel hope.
The Stone Roses influence on Oasis was there musically in the early days though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNNsmRNBJRk

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: March 18, 2017, 01:40:11 PM »

Don't know how many people here are fans of Big Star, but I just found this cover Alex Chilton did of 'Don't Worry Baby' while recording demos for Big Star's Third.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqlHiWrVGag&list=PL8vCZxAbc06iSG-QpFDVWVG6wQl_ZBvZp&index=12

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: March 18, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »

For better or for worse, I've never taken the time to explore the music of Oasis. In fact, I'm more familiar with Noel's guest vocal on The Chemical Brothers' "Setting Sun" than with anything Oasis have done, with the possible exception of "Wonderwall". 

As for The Stone Roses, their first album is one of the best things to come out of the UK----ever. Every track a winner (except that one about the Queen, lol).

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: March 18, 2017, 02:01:24 PM »

In my opinion (and probably the opinion of a lot of people), the really great Oasis stuff was their first two records (and all the non-album songs from that period, collected on The Masterplan). Their third album had great moments ('Stand By Me', 'Don't Go Away', 'All Around the World') but from then on they had the occasional good or great song ('Go Let It Out', 'The Importance of Being Idle', 'The Shock of the Lightning', 'I'm Outta Time') on albums of mainly middle of the road (trying to be complimentary) shite.

But their first two albums (especially their first) are both incredible.
This is still and always will be one of the greatest songs ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qTPl5Do8mQ

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: March 29, 2017, 05:47:42 AM »

More cross-pollination, I'm afraid. Cottonwood Hill by krautrock band Brainticket was cited by TheSuperMetroid02 as an example of great use of the spoken word in pop. Although I was quite taken with it, I'm told Celestial Ocean is the quintessential Brainticket album so that's where I'm heading later today...     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3nepy_SkwM

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx