gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:13:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 810641 times)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: April 25, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »

May sound obvious, but have you listened to Daft Punk's albums?
I've listened to Random Access Memory a few times (I quite like "Instant Crush"), and a few of their older songs... perhaps I should revisit those?

I can't decide what to listen to right now. I'm not in the greatest mood and it's hard to pick music right now.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: April 28, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »

Paging Judd/Mr. Waves/undercover - where is "Discover Weekly"? Itunes?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: April 28, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »

Spotify.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: April 28, 2016, 12:35:34 PM »

Spotify.
https://support.spotify.com/uk/article/Discover/

Listening to some Paul Simon. I normally don't listen to just his music—my dad's very adamant about how well S+G's harmonies work, and how he like's Arty's voice better.

But Graceland is definitely something else. And I can hear where Vampire Weekend takes after him.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: April 29, 2016, 08:15:51 PM »

White Fence - Sandra (When The Earth Dies)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtKhI2KBUVw
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: May 01, 2016, 10:27:00 AM »

Holy Wave - Freaks of Nurture.
I am really digging their psychedelic yet beachy vibe. Something KEXP would play.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: May 04, 2016, 07:40:02 PM »

while lying in bed feeling like I was dying, I listened to La Luz's Weirdo Shrine. I quite dig it.

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2732 on: May 06, 2016, 11:07:04 AM »

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2733 on: May 06, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »

NEW Red Hot Chili Peppers song----great stuff!  Afro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_Tw0w3lLA
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: May 06, 2016, 09:20:53 PM »

Here I am with more Mac DeMarco...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xEE_UY--ZM

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: May 07, 2016, 09:31:17 PM »

Been listening to this album a lot lately. I find I can study to it.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: May 08, 2016, 02:39:12 AM »

Been listening to this album a lot lately. I find I can study to it.

It's good if you can. I can't have music playing (even non-vocal music) if I have to concentrate. I just find myself listening!

As for me, since watching the film about Amy Winehouse I've been revisiting her first album (Frank) and hearing it in a completely new light. It seems a little background information really doesn't hurt at times...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: May 08, 2016, 04:48:26 AM »

I went to youtube to play some Amy stuff - nope, still don't like it. she got voice but the music is boring.
Listening to the very worst of Spike Jones - now THAT'S fun and joyful.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: May 08, 2016, 10:50:58 AM »

The new Radiohead album - A Moon Shaped Pool

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: May 08, 2016, 02:02:19 PM »

May sound obvious, but have you listened to Daft Punk's albums?
I've listened to Random Access Memory a few times (I quite like "Instant Crush"), and a few of their older songs... perhaps I should revisit those?

I can't decide what to listen to right now. I'm not in the greatest mood and it's hard to pick music right now.

Sorry for the late reply. RAM is sort of like a Silver Age album - great, but different from the things that made the band famous in the first place. It's their tribute to late-70s disco and funk. My favorite on some days, but I would recommend it only after hearing the first albums. Discovery is their electronic/house peak.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: May 09, 2016, 05:04:14 AM »

RAM is sort of like a Silver Age album - great, but different from the things that made the band famous in the first place. It's their tribute to late-70s disco and funk. My favorite on some days, but I would recommend it only after hearing the first albums. Discovery is their electronic/house peak.

Now he tells us! And here's me sweating over RAM, wondering what the heck all the fuss is about... LOL

Actually, I have Discovery lined up for listening (thanks for the tip!). And---believe it or not---I'm warming (ever so slightly) to RAM... Smokin  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:36:24 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #2741 on: May 09, 2016, 05:25:50 AM »

I've been reading John Fogerty's autobiography.  I'm about 60% threw it, so I've been listening to some of his great work.  Including CCR's Cosmo's Factory album and John's Centerfield album.

I'd rate John up there with Brian as one of the great American songwriters in history. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: May 09, 2016, 10:25:37 AM »

2 john k: I didn't get the fuss about RAM either. The vocals were godawful, music boring, various sound fx garbage etc. Frankly, I'd not recommend it. Though maybe because everyone listened you might like too. But you don't have to listen to whatever new music people here recommend. It's not required to chase every new music/be up-to-date. I don't get it. I'm with KDS that it's really waste of time for me to sit and play a new record when at the end I might be endlessly bored. I check new stuff on youtube once in a while or Noisetrade. That's it and am glad with such state of events.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: May 09, 2016, 10:35:06 AM »

I've been reading John Fogerty's autobiography.  I'm about 60% threw it, so I've been listening to some of his great work.  Including CCR's Cosmo's Factory album and John's Centerfield album.

I'd rate John up there with Brian as one of the great American songwriters in history. 
Big fan of CCR,plan to hear the last albums and John's solo. Did the autobio say the reason of going to start solo career? Met the BBs/BW? Is he fan?

KDS
« Reply #2744 on: May 09, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »

Big fan of CCR,plan to hear the last albums and John's solo. Did the autobio say the reason of going to start solo career? Met the BBs/BW? Is he fan?

John was kind of forced into a solo career.  CCR was locked in a terrible deal with Fantasy records.  The band broke up in the early 70s because the other three wanted to have more of a chance to write songs.  But, those songs were subpar.  John just didn't get along with Tom, Stu, and Doug.  John also seemed to have a pretty big ego. 

Sadly, John lost pretty much all  of the money he made in CCR due to poor / shady investments.  He finally took up a proper solo career in the mid 1980s.  I'm just at the part where he's writing the songs for Centerfield (1985)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: May 09, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »

I see. What's with brothers who fight? Ray/Dave, Mark/David Knopfler, Liam/Noel Gallagher etc.

Did he ever mention the BBs/BW? I read  that he/CCR liked them.

KDS
« Reply #2746 on: May 09, 2016, 11:10:08 AM »

I see. What's with brothers who fight? Ray/Dave, Mark/David Knopfler, Liam/Noel Gallagher etc.

Did he ever mention the BBs/BW? I read  that he/CCR liked them.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. 

He did mention Brian Wilson's name a few times in the book as somebody he admired.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: May 09, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »

OK. What John Fogerty album you will recommend? I assume you listened to each of them?

KDS
« Reply #2748 on: May 09, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »

OK. What John Fogerty album you will recommend? I assume you listened to each of them?

For solo albums, I'd recommend Centerfield and Revival. 

For CCR, I'd recommend pretty much any of them except for Mardi Gras.  Cosmo's Factory might be their best. 

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: May 09, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »

Can't get enough of the final Cocteau Twins album, "Milk and Kisses" at the moment. Was kind of lukewarm on it when it was first released, I see to recall. Don't know why. Back then I would have had no clue of the significance of the title "Rilkean Heart" as I'd never heard of the poet Rilke back then. At this point they had started to put actual meaning into their lyrics, though they're still hard to decipher.

Please delete my account
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx