gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:39:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805542 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: April 14, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »

Thanks to my Discover Weekly Playlist...

I decided to check out my Discover Weekly after I saw your post, and what I found was about 30 songs by rappers I've never heard of and one Courtney Barnett song. I went over to Judd's playlist and found tons of stuff I've been meaning to investigate and other stuff I love that he doesn't listen to. I don't know what Spotify's doing.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:38:24 PM by Hüsker Düde » Logged
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: April 14, 2016, 03:07:54 PM »

I really dig "Windows Hotel" by Alex Chilton; alas, the only place I've heard it is on YouTube (after hearing a snippet in the Big Star doc). Is it available anywhere legally?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: April 14, 2016, 03:17:01 PM »

I really dig "Windows Hotel" by Alex Chilton; alas, the only place I've heard it is on YouTube (after hearing a snippet in the Big Star doc). Is it available anywhere legally?

No, I don't think it is.  There's a ton of unreleased and out-of-print Chilton music.
It's a shame.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: April 15, 2016, 04:13:52 AM »

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #2679 on: April 15, 2016, 05:17:01 AM »

Couldn't sleep last night, so I listened to some music. 

Put on the excellent Bruce Springsteen album Darkness on the Edge of Town. 

I don't like his views, but man that guy but out some great music in the 70s and early 80s. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: April 16, 2016, 05:11:38 AM »

Couldn't sleep last night, so I listened to some music. 

Put on the excellent Bruce Springsteen album Darkness on the Edge of Town. 

I don't like his views, but man that guy but out some great music in the 70s and early 80s. 

My favourite is Nebraska----and "Streets of Philadelphia". Not crazy about most of his E Street Band stuff...

Revisited this album by Slowdive after a gap of some months and it still knocks me out----why didn't I discover shoegaze earlier? Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a98XSKyE6SU

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: April 16, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »

Sunset Soon Forgotten - Iron & Wine

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
KDS
« Reply #2682 on: April 16, 2016, 09:43:46 PM »

Listening to Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards album. 

Very underrated band. 
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: April 17, 2016, 11:59:19 AM »

@john k: if you like Odesza, you'll like this. My first time listening to it. I'm not a huge electronic person but I can dig this.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: April 17, 2016, 02:29:41 PM »

@john k: if you like Odesza, you'll like this. My first time listening to it. I'm not a huge electronic person but I can dig this.

Thanks, u-m. But who is it? It's hard to track down from the code!

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: April 18, 2016, 12:06:33 AM »

Tycho!
You can right-click (at least on Google Chrome) and use the "Search Google for Image" feature, too. But, alas, me typing the name is probably easier. Tongue

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: April 18, 2016, 02:38:06 AM »

Tycho!
You can right-click (at least on Google Chrome) and use the "Search Google for Image" feature, too. But, alas, me typing the name is probably easier. Tongue

Thanks! I'll check it out. (Safari is less accommodating in the features department.)

KDS
« Reply #2687 on: April 18, 2016, 05:11:16 AM »

I spent some time listening to Bruce Springsteen's excellent Darkness on the Edge of Town album. 

The great music he released in the 1970s and early 80s almost makes me forgive him for being a total douche nozzle in 2016.......almost. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: April 18, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »

I spent some time listening to Bruce Springsteen's excellent Darkness on the Edge of Town album. 

The great music he released in the 1970s and early 80s almost makes me forgive him for being a total douche nozzle in 2016.......almost. 
That is a great album.
KDS
« Reply #2689 on: April 18, 2016, 10:21:59 AM »

That is a great album.

So great, I apparently posted about it twice.   Oops. 

I think I even prefer it to the most popular Born to Run.  That's a tough choice.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: April 18, 2016, 10:27:53 AM »

That is a great album.

I think I even prefer it to the most popular Born to Run.  That's a tough choice.
A really tough choice. Without "Thunder Road", Darkness would easily be my favorite, but "Thunder Road" is just sooooo good in so many ways it lifts Born to Run up to Darkness level.
KDS
« Reply #2691 on: April 18, 2016, 10:30:48 AM »

That is a great album.

A really tough choice. Without "Thunder Road", Darkness would easily be my favorite, but "Thunder Road" is just sooooo good in so many ways it lifts Born to Run up to Darkness level.

Yeah, Thunder Road is my favorite Bruce song.  BTR also has the amazing Jungleland as the closer. 

I might have to rank those albums as 1 and 1a. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: April 18, 2016, 10:33:45 AM »

That is a great album.

Yeah, Thunder Road is my favorite Bruce song.  BTR also has the amazing Jungleland as the closer. 

100% on board.  Grin
KDS
« Reply #2693 on: April 18, 2016, 10:52:55 AM »

That is a great album.

100% on board.  Grin

Maybe tonight, I'll listen to them back-to-back. 
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: April 18, 2016, 11:48:58 AM »

I love the intro to "Candy's Room". I like the rest of the song--mostly the bits that resemble the intro.
That's pretty much it for me.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: April 18, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »

I love the intro to "Candy's Room". I like the rest of the song--mostly the bits that resemble the intro.
Bruce Springsteen's sound didn't appeal to me at first. I got sucked in by the poetic imagery and fantastic piano at the start of Thunder Road. From there, my interest expanded.
KDS
« Reply #2696 on: April 18, 2016, 12:12:16 PM »

Bruce Springsteen's sound didn't appeal to me at first. I got sucked in by the poetic imagery and fantastic piano at the start of Thunder Road. From there, my interest expanded.

I really didn't get into him until I got into my 30s.  I liked the songs I'd hear on classic rock radio (ie. Glory Days, Dancing in the Dark, Born to Run), but didn't really appreciate the arrangements and lyrics until much later. 

I'm with you Emily about Thunder Road.  That's the song that told me that Bruce was more than just the Born in the USA guy. 
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: April 18, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »

I think anybody that got into him post-Born In The USA and that video with Courtney Cox suffered with a similar negative view of him. I too am guilty of this but after listening to Nebraska, and then Born To Run, and then everything else, am now a huge fan. I even dig Born In The USA now that I know the lyrics aren't another homage to cheesy patriotism and blue jeans. Anyone heard the demo of said song that was begun during Nebraska sessions? Killer.
KDS
« Reply #2698 on: April 18, 2016, 07:04:41 PM »

Listening to King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King album.   
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: April 20, 2016, 09:10:07 AM »

Tycho!

Thanks! I'll check it out. (Safari is less accommodating in the features department.)

I did check out Tycho, didn't really warm to it and moved on, first briefly to Explosions in the Sky, a post-rock band from Texas, and then on to Infected Mushroom's album Army of Mushrooms, which is much more up my street: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uloBD9xxwZ0

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx