gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:59:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805478 times)
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: September 26, 2014, 09:20:52 AM »

Yeah enjoying this pretty good so far.

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: September 27, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »

Have been going chronologically through GnR's discography and I gotta say this pretty much disappointed me. I loved both Appetite and Lies, but the only track here that surprised me positively is Coma (November Rain and Don't Cry are great too of course, but I was already familiar with those).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:53:29 PM by Ovi » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: September 27, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »

That (and Illusion II) was the first album I ever was aware of release date in advance and bought right away. I listened to them (on cassette) straight through, devouring liner notes as I went, at my grandma's house, as she lived in the larger town where I bought them. (My hometown was so small it had no record stores.)

Coma blew me away, though it's not my style anymore.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: September 27, 2014, 03:17:06 PM »

That (and Illusion II) was the first album I ever was aware of release date in advance and bought right away. I listened to them (on cassette) straight through, devouring liner notes as I went, at my grandma's house, as she lived in the larger town where I bought them. (My hometown was so small it had no record stores.)

Interesting - what was your first impression of the album as a whole, compared to Appetite? What about after repeated listens? And do you still listen to/like it?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: September 27, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »

Interesting - what was your first impression of the album as a whole, compared to Appetite? What about after repeated listens? And do you still listen to/like it?

More than anything, it was overwhelming and slightly confusing. The albums cover a lot of ground, from punky to bluesy to epic to bizarre. I thought it opened weakly, with "Right Next Door to Hell" sounding like an inferior Appetite song to me, "Dust n Bones" just not up to par, and then a cover in "Live and Let Die." "Don't Cry" at the time struck me as really good, though. The whole experience was like that for me: this is great, that's ok, that's not very good, I don't know what they're doing here, this is brilliant again. There could have been an album approaching Appetite's quality--though probably not impact, just because that felt like it came out of nowhere--but the sprawl didn't allow that.

It was such a weird time for them, coming off tremendous success, shuffling personnel, obviously with Axl just taking full control of the direction of the band, and the music industry suffering the heart attack of Seattle / "grunge."

I can't say I listen to these on anything near a regular basis anymore. I'm not even sure I still have the CDs (that eventually replaced the initially purchased cassettes). But here and there I'll listen and enjoy something. Appetite is another story: it remains an essential album, one of the best of the '80s.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: September 28, 2014, 07:10:45 AM »

Cry
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: September 28, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »

Art Official Age is really quite good. First I like the Lianna La Haves narration and general off-beat sci-fi concept. I love Clouds as a track but even more so that Prince finally, FINALLY had the good sense to actually do something with a current talented artist who is not just some mediocre protege sleeping in his bed. Following on from the track he did with Janelle Monae and rumours that he could be doing something with Kendrick Lamar it seems that the purple bubble might be letting in some fresh air. Hell there is a modern flavour on the album overall that is entirely welcome. The Gold Standard is indeed very pleasing and could be the best track on here. I also like Time for being a kind of a modern LoveSexy ambient jam. FunkNRoll has a nice beat.

Listening to Plectrum Electrum now and is serving as a fine counterpoint. Not a stinking protege album luckily but a BAND album. They have some sauce.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: September 28, 2014, 10:17:21 AM »

Following on from the track he did with Janelle Monae and rumours that he could be doing something with Kendrick Lamar it seems that the purple bubble might be letting in some fresh air. Hell there is a modern flavour on the album overall that is entirely welcome.

Interesting but of course he's done that before, and not always with his girlfriends (though admittedly usually). Remember Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic, which had Chuck D, Eve, Sheryl Crow, Ani DiFranco, and Gwen Stefani, as well as a few people who had been outsiders but he brought into his circle on a recurring basis, like Maceo Parker and Larry Graham.

Speaking of, that makes me want to listen to that album again. It's 15 years old and I don't think I've listened to it in 14 years.

Anyway, I'll be listening to both the new Prince releases, as I always end up doing. Usually I buy them. Chalk it down to hometown optimism, maybe, but he's so damn gifted I always think the next album is going to be brilliant. Then usually there is a good song or two and plenty of great performances of mediocre material.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: September 28, 2014, 10:30:52 AM »

This to be fair seems far less cynical an effort to nab sales than Rave. The thing is that he didn't write or produce the track for Janelle Monae. He just showed up and did a guest shot, he let go of his ego and served someone else's track. I don't know when that last happened but it's been a fair while. His need for control over everything has diminished his ability to produce and work with great artists thought the years. The people who have given him that complete control have almost always been mediocre talents. And none of em except The Time have had any legs. If he can learn to have a real collaboration instead of dictating from on high, he could do some special things with the people around now.

Maceo and Larry for sure but both have been - especially Larry - part of his inner circle.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:33:09 AM by MugginsXO » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: September 28, 2014, 10:38:24 AM »

Re Maceo and Larry, remember they weren't part of his inner circle before that era. So really, you could argue they became part of his inner circle by working with him. Maybe that becomes a chicken-egg situation, as to whether collaborators became inner circle or vice versa. The same actually could be said about Wendy and Lisa and other members of the Revolution. The legend of the time and afterward was that Prince was the Revolution, and they just played parts live, but I think history has shown that was more a real band than people assumed at times. (Not to say he wasn't the obvious genius, leader, primary writer, and performer of many parts...just not the full-on autocrat.)

As to the cynical grabs for major sales, I think he has probably come to terms with the fact that there's not going to be any such thing anymore. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but realistically that's just not going to happen again after all these years in "legend/oldie" status with younger audiences. Then again, his new band is all young women and he's not opposed to a good publicity ploy, so maybe he's still delusional in that respect.

Lastly, I am depressed because I misread your earlier post regarding his collaboration with Monae (whom I love). For some reason, I was thinking you were saying that in addition to the track he helped her with on her album, that she was on his album. Then your last post made me do a double-take and reread, and you're just referring to his contribution to her album, that there is no second track (on his). Damn. Because while I was underwhelmed to that track on her album, I love the idea of those two together. Two amazing talents.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: September 28, 2014, 10:43:42 AM »

btw I just realized the albums aren't out until this coming week. Do you have press copies? Or leaks?

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: September 28, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »

Agreed on the change from the leader, producer, writer accepting of input to the guy who couldn't really take any. There was definitely a big change when The Revolution got thrown out. The NPG was a real band for a time but then just became the name of whoever played with him. I think that really harmed his ability to self-criticise. The stories around his treatment of Rosie Gaines are really ridiculous.

I think for a long time he only allowed people within the circle who would be compliant to his approach to things. Larry was a slightly different case seeing how much (in my opinion negative) impact be had on his life and work. To be able to jam with a great artist though who doesn't agree with his beliefs/religion/attitude to modern music can create some much needed conflict and self-criticism. He has been in that "we are the only ones making real music" nonsense for very long. Prince was best when competitive. To get back to a competitve level he needs to realise how many good things are happening in music right now. Working with Lianna is cool. Working with Janelle is cool. Hopefully he does more of it.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: September 28, 2014, 10:48:54 AM »

btw I just realized the albums aren't out until this coming week. Do you have press copies? Or leaks?

They are on Spotify in Europe. Not sure if they are out in physical form yet! Art Official Age definitely worth your time.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: September 28, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »

DAMN YOU, EUROPE!

Only a few tracks are on US Spotify and iTunes for purchase) so far, albums both out Sept 30.

I think this board might need a Prince thread. There is one from 2006 or something. Maybe it should be resurrected so we don't fill this one with him. But this little chat has inspired me to think about doing a "post-Golden [Purple?] Era" playlist. Something demonstrating that if the quality was uneven, the highs were still high. We'll see. But for now, I'm going grave-digging (in the thread sense, not literally...).

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: September 30, 2014, 06:46:07 AM »

Listened to today:

Bob Dylan & The Band - Planet Waves
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
The Smiths - The Smiths
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: September 30, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »

We have similar topic on another board & today someone named "Candyfloss" by Wilco. I knew their "Just a Kid" from "Sponge Bob" soundtrack, but this one is such fun, no annoying kid choir. Ok, some minor key moments, but it was of good use here, like the piano/drum solo.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: September 30, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: September 30, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »

Listening to my recent acquisitions:
Failure (2014 Reissue) - The Posies
lullaby and … the Ceaseless Roar - Robert Plant
Worldwide and the Acoustic EP's - Everything but the Girl
Old Ramon - Red House Painters

And the odd track or two by Modest Mouse, Jens Lekman, The War on Drugs and Spain.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:21:45 PM by MaxL » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: October 01, 2014, 02:03:59 PM »

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: October 01, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »

zachrwolfe
« Reply #2020 on: October 01, 2014, 10:43:58 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:01:24 PM by zatch » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: October 02, 2014, 05:23:26 AM »

Rainbow Connection - so good, so kind! One of the most comforting songs I ever heard. That frog CAN sing.

The Sugarcubes - Birthday (my introduction to Bjork & pretty cool at that. Really like her voice & the punchy drums).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: October 02, 2014, 07:05:02 AM »

Have you read her interview in Complex? It is a good read. She is an interesting person.

http://www.complex.com/covers/lana-del-rey-interview-against-the-grain-2014-cover-story/

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: October 02, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »

Listening to this again. Really very good. Recommended for those on that fresh sound tip.

http://open.spotify.com/album/5LNuL34uiBiSntkWuSiQQG

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: October 02, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »

I played it once when it came out (just because of her involvement with BW, to see what she sounds like). She has a good voice, and there were some really good songs on it. Nothing stuck with me, though.

Right now I'm playing this whilst shortening my curtains:

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx