gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:37:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805956 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: August 23, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »

halblaineisgood
« Reply #1926 on: August 24, 2014, 02:22:50 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 10:39:47 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
KarlheinzKloppweiser
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: August 26, 2014, 03:11:22 AM »

Bach, The Well Tempered Clavier book I, Gould
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:12:52 AM by KarlheinzKloppweiser » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: August 26, 2014, 04:04:04 AM »

Random Access Memories
I heard that album on YT & thought it was extremely boring. Terrible vocals, arrangement, everything. Not my cup of tea, in short (& rightly so!).
My son bought it for me but I've never warmed to it. On the positive side, there's something rather comical about people singing sad lyrics through a vocoder. So I may play it for laughs some time.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: August 26, 2014, 04:41:22 AM »

Random Access Memories
I heard that album on YT & thought it was extremely boring. Terrible vocals, arrangement, everything. Not my cup of tea, in short (& rightly so!).
My son bought it for me but I've never warmed to it. On the positive side, there's something rather comical about people singing sad lyrics through a vocoder. So I may play it for laughs some time.

The lyrics deal with many themes, few of them are "sad". Likewise, not many songs feature vocoder lead-vocals - Pharrell, Paul Williams, Todd Edwards, Panda Bear and Julian Casablancas all take the vocal duty in their assigned songs. But that's fine, you play the album for the laughs and I'll play it to remind myself once in a while that it's still one of the best released this decade and maybe even Daft Punk's crowning achievement.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: August 26, 2014, 05:48:31 AM »

Random Access Memories

The lyrics deal with many themes, few of them are "sad". Likewise, not many songs feature vocoder lead-vocals - Pharrell, Paul Williams, Todd Edwards, Panda Bear and Julian Casablancas all take the vocal duty in their assigned songs. But that's fine, you play the album for the laughs and I'll play it to remind myself once in a while that it's still one of the best released this decade and maybe even Daft Punk's crowning achievement.
Oops. Now I feel guilty. Still, it did get me to visit your wonderful website so something good came of it after all... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: August 26, 2014, 06:19:16 AM »

Oops. Now I feel guilty. Still, it did get me to visit your wonderful website so something good came of it after all... 

I'm glad you liked it. But please give Random Access Memories another chance.  Grin
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: August 26, 2014, 10:34:44 AM »

I'm glad you liked it. But please give Random Access Memories another chance.  Grin
OK, I'll make it my next late-at-night/early-in-the-morning album. i do remember being impressed with the Panda Bear track, so there'a hope for me yet. (I've bookmarked your blog for future reference.)

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: August 26, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »

OK, I'll make it my next late-at-night/early-in-the-morning album. i do remember being impressed with the Panda Bear track, so there'a hope for me yet. (I've bookmarked your blog for future reference.)

If it still doesn't do anything for you, you could always try the Strongbad version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsa4ogtBiv0
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: August 27, 2014, 03:20:49 AM »

If it still doesn't do anything for you, you could always try the Strongbad version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsa4ogtBiv0
A mashup! OK, thanks, Amanda. It's on my list...

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: August 27, 2014, 08:18:10 AM »

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: August 27, 2014, 09:28:56 AM »

Liam was just on fire on this one.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: August 27, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »

lol
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: August 27, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »

lol

Not an Oasis fan?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: August 27, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »

I'm up to the 50-minute mark right now. Still out on it----although I do feel I'm slowly being won over. Listening to it on the computer helps, I think. To be continued...     

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: August 28, 2014, 01:56:47 AM »

Haha. Sorry, Amanda, but ten seconds was enough for me. RAM sounds so much better now----actually, it has gone up in my opinion since the last listen. :=)   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: August 28, 2014, 04:09:13 AM »

OK, I'll make it my next late-at-night/early-in-the-morning album. i do remember being impressed with the Panda Bear track, so there'a hope for me yet.
On the subject of "Doin' It Right": Theoretically it's in F sharp but the bass note of that chord, which starts the sequence, is G sharp! There's isn't an F sharp in the bass anywhere. Most unusual...

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: August 28, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »

Haha. Sorry, Amanda, but ten seconds was enough for me. RAM sounds so much better now----actually, it has gone up in my opinion since the last listen. :=)   

I guess I'm the only one whose favorite circa 2004 time waster was Homestar Runner cartoons.  Tongue

It's definitely not made to be listened to all the way through, but just the fact that someone did it is genius.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: August 29, 2014, 01:48:24 AM »

I guess I'm the only one whose favorite circa 2004 time waster was Homestar Runner cartoons.  Tongue

It's definitely not made to be listened to all the way through, but just the fact that someone did it is genius.
My spies tell me that The Grey Album is the mashup to hear. I loved the Martins' Beatles mashups on Love, so who knows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CU2rE3rAtE

halblaineisgood
« Reply #1944 on: August 29, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 10:37:58 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: August 29, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »

you'll miss "shootout in chinatown" - that song is the best. and the greatest!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:14:29 PM by Woodstock » Logged

The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: August 30, 2014, 03:21:43 AM »

Hey, Ovi, I'm not trying to get into the lame Blur v. Oasis thing, but had to ask if you're a Blur fan?  I've been listening to a ton of Damon Albarn and saw your post.  For my money he's the most talented musician of his time, with a range going from pop/rock to opera and film scores, all of it wonderful.  In a league of talent with the Beatles and Paul McCartney, really, not that the comparisons are necessary.  I feel he's probably tried to push himself outside of pop/rock a bit more than Paul, too.  It's a shame he's barely known in the US and doesn't seem to be viewed as much of a talent, though I find Dr. Dee and his cowritten score for Ravenous to be especially moving.  Perhaps people are suspicious of his gift for melody, since many music fans have a snobbishness toward anything which seems "pop."  Either way, it is their loss.  He's given us an incredible body of work which keeps growing.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: August 31, 2014, 11:07:10 AM »

Jethro Tull 'Stand Up', in honor of recently deceased Glen Cornick. What an incredible bass player Cornick was. While listening to the Stand Up album earlier I was mesmerized by his playing on tracks like Bouree and Jeffrey Goes To Leicester Square. Excellent stuff.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: August 31, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »

My spies tell me that The Grey Album is the mashup to hear. I loved the Martins' Beatles mashups on Love, so who knows?

That actually is a very enjoyable listen. I'm so-so on Love, some of the songs work really well and others don't do anything for me.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: September 01, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »

That actually is a very enjoyable listen.
Indeed it is. Maybe the whole concept of mashups should have stopped there----I can't see how anyone could better what Danger Mouse has done on The Grey Album...   

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx