gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:38:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805461 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: January 15, 2013, 03:42:01 PM »

Just was listening to Flying Burrito Brothers, and specifically repeating Sin City a few times. Over the past few days, a lot of Gounod's requiem, which is just fucking gorgeous.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1301 on: January 15, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »

There has never been a more accurate album title/cover:

What kind of drug still comes in a glass ampule?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: January 15, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »

And now the new Christopher Owens (ex-Girls frontman/songwriter) album, his debut solo record. It's pretty blatantly ambitious--which to be honest, I don't mind. There's a certain kind of idea that by keeping it off the cuff, or sloppy, or lo-fi, or basic, that you're being honest and unpretentious. But there is a lot of pretentiousness in that, sometimes, too. And aiming high has a real risk: failure. So you have to respect someone who is willing to work hard at it, even if it's a laughable failure. (This isn't necessarily that.)

Two of the first four true songs (discounting the intro, so New York City and Here We Go Again) are pretty cool.

Fun fact, two or three of the songs so far have ended with a "Picardy third," which is when a tune is in a minor key but the final chord is the tonic in major instead of minor. (So if it is in A minor, the final chord is A major.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #1303 on: January 15, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »

Just was listening to Flying Burrito Brothers, and specifically repeating Sin City a few times. Over the past few days, a lot of Gounod's requiem, which is just f***ing gorgeous.
How to pronounce that name ?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: January 15, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »

Just was listening to Flying Burrito Brothers, and specifically repeating Sin City a few times. Over the past few days, a lot of Gounod's requiem, which is just f***ing gorgeous.
How to pronounce that name ?

If your mind is where mine has been since first hearing it--say, 15 years ago--you're laughing and saying "gonad." Because lets be honest, jokes about balls are funny. But I think (I am no expert in french...or even an amateur in french) it is pronounced roughly "Goo-No." Feel free to just call him "Nad," though. I don't mind. (It is a great requiem, though.)

halblaineisgood
« Reply #1305 on: January 15, 2013, 04:34:58 PM »

And now the new Christopher Owens (ex-Girls frontman/songwriter) album, his debut solo record. It's pretty blatantly ambitious--which to be honest, I don't mind. There's a certain kind of idea that by keeping it off the cuff, or sloppy, or lo-fi, or basic, that you're being honest and unpretentious. But there is a lot of pretentiousness in that, sometimes, too. And aiming high has a real risk: failure. So you have to respect someone who is willing to work hard at it, even if it's a laughable failure. (This isn't necessarily that.)

Two of the first four true songs (discounting the intro, so New York City and Here We Go Again) are pretty cool.

Fun fact, two or three of the songs so far have ended with a "Picardy third," which is when a tune is in a minor key but the final chord is the tonic in major instead of minor. (So if it is in A minor, the final chord is A major.)
Anything as catchy as Honey Bunny on there ? I really loved that song. It sounded like a modern day I Get around.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: January 15, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »

Anything as catchy as Honey Bunny on there ? I really loved that song. It sounded like a modern day I Get around.

Mmmm, probably not. (Did you like Lust For Life from their first album? That was similarly catchy.) Probably the best example of that kind of catchyness are the two I mentioned above. If you have spotify, you can listen free here: spotify:album:1T9C2kn1gFLEziYml3oyqa

tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: January 17, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »

Air - Le Soleil Est Pres De Moi

AIR have always been influenced by The Beach Boys especially BW's compositions

This is one of their earlier tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjb9Mn7_IHs

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: January 17, 2013, 04:08:03 PM »

Nine Inch Nails - The Great Below

Staring at the sea
Will she come?
Is there hope for me
After all is said and done
Anything at any price
All of this for you
All the spoils of a wasted life
All of this for you
All the world has closed her eyes
Tired faith all worn and thin
For all we could have done
And all that could have been

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: January 17, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »

Air - Le Soleil Est Pres De Moi

AIR have always been influenced by The Beach Boys especially BW's compositions

This is one of their earlier tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjb9Mn7_IHs

Never heard this before! It's like a chiller version of 'Kelly Watch The Stars'.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1310 on: January 17, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:44:57 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1311 on: January 17, 2013, 10:40:48 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:35:42 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1312 on: January 17, 2013, 10:41:23 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:36:09 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: January 18, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »

Pete Townshend 1965-75 The Genuine Scoop

If it runs amuck, call the duck
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1314 on: January 18, 2013, 10:11:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:37:04 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: January 29, 2013, 04:00:38 AM »

Got the megahyper reissue of Rumours in the post.

IT ROCKS

If anyone is thinking, 'well, I got it the last time they reissued it, and what do I need another disc of bonus tracks for?', BUY IT - the 'new' outtakes are actually surprisingly different, including things like Lindsey and Stevie duetting on Never Going Back again, which has bongos, brushes, piano and different guitar licks, a Stevie demo of 'The Chain' that is a completely different tune apart from the chorus (and 'Keep Me There', a completely different song where the end of The Chain comes from, but can't remember whether that was on the 2004 one), Dreams with just the Rhodes/minimal guitar riffs, a really intimate demo of Songbird... makes you wonder what they were thinking with the previous reissue.

So worth hunting it down.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:16:59 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: January 29, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »

IT ROCKS

If anyone is thinking, 'well, I got it the last time they reissued it, and what do I need another disc of bonus tracks for?', BUY IT - the 'new' outtakes are actually surprisingly different, including things like Lindsey and Stevie duetting on Never Going Back again, which has bongos, brushes, piano and different guitar licks, a Stevie demo of 'The Chain' that is a completely different tune apart from the chorus (and 'Keep Me There', a completely different song where the end of The Chain comes from, but can't remember whether that was on the 2004 one), Dreams with just the Rhodes/minimal guitar riffs, a really intimate demo of Songbird... makes you wonder what they were thinking with the previous reissue.

Right on. Hope it gets followed up with a Tusk super deluxe, as there is a literal ton of audio and visual material to draw from.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: January 29, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »

I'm listening to Tusk right now, and I could just live with a solo drum track from 'What Makes You Think You're The One?', tbh. Absolutely phenomenal.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: January 30, 2013, 07:03:01 AM »

IT ROCKS

Hey, I got the 3-disc version yesterday. I kinda regret not getting the box set version, but I figured since I already had the 2004 reissue that I didn't really need this. Maybe I'll get the box someday.

Anyways, the "acoustic duet" versions of "Never Going Back Again" and "Doesn't Anything Last" are quite awesome. With "Never Going Back Again", the album version is still my favorite, but this is definitely a cool thing to listen to for something different. As far as "Doesn't Anything Last", I really dug the version that was on the '04 version, but this one is even better. Lindsey and Stevie sound great, and it sounds less like a demo/rehearsal than the '04 version. It's a shame they didn't flesh it out more, but what is there is gorgeous.

I also love both versions of "Keep Me There". The instrumental version is quite interesting, it really rocks along nicely. But my favorite thing on the box is definitely the vocal version of "Keep Me There", it's just so cool to hear it as a "song", since I honestly never knew it got that far. It's also interesting to note that Christine was singing the same basic lyric as that of "Butter Cookie (Keep Me There)" from the '04 set.

Stevie's demo of "The Chain" is also quite interesting. It's basically a different song than the album version of "The Chain". The only thing that it really shares is the lyrics. The "classic" version of "The Chain" actually uses Christine's chords from "Keep Me There" on the chorus. "The Chain" also takes the ending of "Keep Me There" for it's classic fade. Not to mention that the beginning riff from "The Chain" actually comes from a song of Lindsey's on the Buckingham Nicks album called "Lola".

I haven't even listened to the disc with the live tracks, but I'm sure I'll get to that soon enough. Honestly, my biggest problem with the set is that they didn't use the live disc to feature a few things that aren't extremely well known. For instance it woulda been cool to hear the Rumours era group doing their live versions of "Station Man" and "Tell Me All The Things You Do". Both are superb songs written by Danny Kirwan from the Mac's 1970 Kiln House album that nevertheless really seemed to fit the Lindsey and Stevie version of the band. If they have good quality tapes for each song, I hope at some point they'd get a release.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: January 30, 2013, 09:14:31 AM »

Sounds like you have all you need, I just got the big one as I wanted Rumours on vinyl and had a gift voucher from Amazon - the DVD is kinda pointless unless you were really jonesing to see 'The Rosebud Film', which is only half an hour long and ALL THE DISC CONTAINS, THE BASTARDS  Angry Kinda amazed they didn't bother to licence, idk, the Classic Albums doc or do some new interviews or throw on more footage from that 'rosebud' stuff or SOMETHING.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: February 04, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »

After a long absence, I got out some of Johnny Cash's American Recordings, produced by Rick Rubin. I love that stuff, especially the sound they created. And, Johnny's aged voice is so poignant on some of the reminiscing songs. I'm really enjoying:

"I Hung My Head"
"One"
"I've Been Everywhere"
"Rusty Cage"
"The Man Comes Around"
"Father And Son"
"Love's Been Good To Be"
"As Long As The Grass Shall Grow"
"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 05, 2013, 01:45:36 AM »

M.B.V. by My Bloody Valentine is gonna end up being the album I listen to most often this month.

A discipline daddy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: February 06, 2013, 03:17:22 PM »

Delius' Florida Suite. Gooood stuff

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 06, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »

Over the past week or so, mostly:

Adam Green and Binki Shapiro, S/T
Eels - Wonderful, Glorious
Foxygen - We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic*
Herman Dune - Mariage a Mendoza

*This is one some people here might like, because they're really aping some specific styles...bands...albums...songs...licks that people on this board like. Sometimes it's clever and well done, but there is also something off-putting about thinking, "sh*t, that's Suspicious Minds right there...hey, that's from Blonde on Blonde..." etc. I almost feel like if it was done as a gimmick or joke, it's really cool. And if it was just that they think they're writing original (but influenced-by...) songs, it's just awful.

Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 08, 2013, 10:03:56 PM »

listenin' to that Duquesne whistle blowin'
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx