gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:45:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805511 times)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: December 16, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »

Beach Boys U.M. for Wild Honey = 2 discs

If it runs amuck, call the duck
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: December 17, 2012, 02:52:55 AM »

Scott Walker - Bish Bosch. I've always been too chicken to listen to a avantgarde Scott album. Here goes. Was thinking of live blogging it but I can't focus on writing and listening at the same time with this one.

Today on Twitter somebody was talking about making Rice Krispies treats while Bish Bosch was on. 

Those would be some stressed out Rice Krispy Treats.

I quite liked it - although it might not be a valid criticism, after some point the notion of 'tracks' sort of becomes a bit pointless with it, it just felt like an extended piece. I was mostly struck by how abrasive it was with both sheer terror and humour (sample lyric from 'Epizootics', I think - 'You're so fat, when you put on a yellow coat people scream 'TAXI!!!'' ) and the oddness of Scott's voice. He's pushing it into weird places.

Yeah, I think I liked it. If you want to spend an hour getting simultaneously weirded out and enjoying some of the oddest music you'll hear this year, go for it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1277 on: December 17, 2012, 06:21:02 PM »

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:39:29 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 17, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »

Drop Out With The Barracudas, a criminally underrated 1982 album whose '60s "surf revival" singles betrays an album as much indebted to Byrds-y chiming guitar as it was The Beach Boys. But, damn if the surf/summer songs aren't great (for good reason)!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 17, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »

Heavenly rule so much <3
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: December 20, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »

The 6 cd Lifehouse Chronicles by Pete Townshend

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 23, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »

I'm in full Christmas music mode. Started out the day with some Perry Como and Mario Lanza, picked up the pace with Phil Spector's Christmas album and Dylan's Christmas In The Heart, and am now moving into Johnny Mathis and Frank Sinatra territory.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: December 23, 2012, 05:19:22 PM »

Scott Walker - Bish Bosch. I've always been too chicken to listen to a avantgarde Scott album. Here goes. Was thinking of live blogging it but I can't focus on writing and listening at the same time with this one.

Today on Twitter somebody was talking about making Rice Krispies treats while Bish Bosch was on. 

Those would be some stressed out Rice Krispy Treats.

I quite liked it - although it might not be a valid criticism, after some point the notion of 'tracks' sort of becomes a bit pointless with it, it just felt like an extended piece. I was mostly struck by how abrasive it was with both sheer terror and humour (sample lyric from 'Epizootics', I think - 'You're so fat, when you put on a yellow coat people scream 'TAXI!!!'' ) and the oddness of Scott's voice. He's pushing it into weird places.

Yeah, I think I liked it. If you want to spend an hour getting simultaneously weirded out and enjoying some of the oddest music you'll hear this year, go for it.

I listened to 5 minutes of Epizootics, and had to stop it and listen to "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" to restore my sanity.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 24, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »

The Strokes - Evening Sun

Stone Temple Pilots - Bi-Polar Bear
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 26, 2012, 10:12:43 PM »

Everything is Green by The Essex Green. You can tell its influences straightaway: "Mrs. Bean", "Everything is Green". The album came out in 1999 on Kindercore which makes me think they're Elephant 6 associates...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:13:50 PM by Dr. Voldelabra » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: December 26, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »

I'm really getting into 'Baby I'm Yours' . Sung by Barbara Lewis, a Bert Berns production, it's gorgeous....

It is.

Yeah!  I love that one too.  Nice song.  Very sensuous.  Please tell me she's not old now. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: December 26, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »

Blue Christmas is on the radio. It sounds so good with all those expensive tube leveling radio station limiters. Whatever it is the station uses to get its sound..God, it sounds nice. Elvis has more music in his voice than other singers. More music per phrase. More music per note. More per syllable. My limited grasp on the science is hindering me. But I'd rather strike out after a sincere effort, than not at all.

Yup.  Basically, he was the sh*t.  You don't have to try to explain it to us.  Everybody gets it.  Some won't admit it, but deep down they know it.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: December 26, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »

Chairmen Of The Board - Give Me Just A Little More Time

Hell yeah!  Now that's soul.  Carolina Beach Music, great stuff.  Everytime I see that 'swiffer' commercial where they play it, I have to go download it and play the original song.  That guy was awesome.  I think some of that stuff (maybe Give me just a little more time) was recorded here in Charlotte. 

Sadly though, it's the exact type of music that reminds me of the exact time in my life that was the most unpleasant, so I don't listen to it too much.  Brings back bad memories!  Good stuff though!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 26, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »

Demi Lovato - Give Your Heart a Break

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 27, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »

Foo Fighters ft. Norah Jones - Virgina Moon  (This bossa nova sounding song is too beautiful for words.)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: December 27, 2012, 09:52:50 PM »

Listening to the Phil Spector Session cd boxed set...a ;Dwesome....

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 28, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »

Everything is Green by The Essex Green. You can tell its influences straightaway: "Mrs. Bean", "Everything is Green". The album came out in 1999 on Kindercore which makes me think they're Elephant 6 associates...

You're correct, they were considered a part of it, though not really via any first-hand collaborations or histories with the original Ruston / Athens crew. Below is what was reportedly a Robert Schneider-made E6 family tree from several years ago. (This is per the E6 message board, a poster from which said it was pulled from the Apples site at some point.) You'll see Schneider (apparently) included them.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 28, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »

btw, listening to a few Bruno Mars songs from his new album, both of which are amazing. (The rest of the album, not so much.) But "Treasure" and "If I Knew"--hell yeah. Was listening to Big Star earlier.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1293 on: January 11, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:34:03 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1294 on: January 11, 2013, 05:57:18 PM »

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:34:28 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: January 11, 2013, 07:25:42 PM »

Today, I listened to The  Who's 1969 Fillmore East Show...that was awesome....the 5 tracks from 1969 as the High Numbers were kind of laughable, with a 20 year old Roger Daltrey trying to emulate a 75 year old Howlin' Wolf.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: January 15, 2013, 06:15:41 AM »

Phonography by R. Stevie Moore

Holy f***, where has this dude been all my life? He makes Todd Rundgren look like One Direction. Now That's What I Call Insane Home Pop!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:17:17 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: January 15, 2013, 11:48:48 AM »

Phonography by R. Stevie Moore

Holy f***, where has this dude been all my life? He makes Todd Rundgren look like One Direction. Now That's What I Call Insane Home Pop!
Brian's Trip

My day so far:

Indians - "Somewhere Else" (2013)
So Many Wizards - "Warm Nothing" (2012)
Jefferson Airplane - "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off" (1966)
Barenaked Ladies - "Born On A Pirate Ship" (1996)
The Association - "And Then...Along Comes the Association" (1966)
The Ronettes - "Be My Baby: The Very Best of The Ronettes" (2011)  Love
Witchcraft - "Witchcraft" (2004)  Love
The Black Heart Procession - "Six" (2009)  Love
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:02:32 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: January 15, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »

Now I need to chill, so put on Jason Pierce's side* of Recurring, by Spacemen 3, which has the most reverb ever. The vocals sound like they're coming at you from a passing plane.

*The band consists of two dudes, and by the time they got to that album they hated each other so much they didn't want the others songs next to theirs on the album! Hence, Jason's side and Sonic's side.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:21:03 PM by hypehat » Logged

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: January 15, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »

There has never been a more accurate album title/cover:

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx